[Solved] Merge Tag Groups

I have two tag groups - ie each group contains quite a few individual tags - my objective was to merge the two groups

I was moving tags via one-by-one drag 'n' drop (Ψ) from group A to group B, when I ran into some sort of limit.  Once group B has ??? (about fiftyish I think) tags I can't move any more tags into the group... but I can add a tag to the group... but there's a Catch 22... not with the same name as a tag stranded in group B

Evernote can be a real PITA at times with its arbitrary and often undocumented limits

Can anyone suggest a solution - apart from switch to another product. 

Hopefully I can restore the database from backup, and continuing living with the two tag groups... until such time as I find a reliable way to merge tag groups or I find another product .

BTW - the tags in question are only used on a local database - not that that ought have any relevance.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  How about you change the name of the original tag 'mytag' to 'mytag1' (which will ripple through to all tagged notes) and create a new 'mytag' in your main group.  Then search for tag:mytag1 and batch-add a new tag 'mytag' and then delete mytag1 from tags.  Not quick with more than a dozen tags,  but it's the only way I can think of...

That,  or try selecting all the tags in the old group and move all of them at once.  Don't let go of your backup though - I have no experience whether that will work or not...

Hi gazamped - thanks but...

I'm trying to merge one group of 100+ tags with another similar size group.  Unsurprisingly my first inclination was to try to select all the tags in one group and drag 'em into the other one, that didn't work.  It's strictly one at a time, hence my earlier Ψ (psi),  And it's damned awkward because when you drop a tag into the target group that causes the target group to expand so you have to close it  - otherwise you're dragging to invisible locations - actually its more than awkward it's diabolical.

I always have two onsite backups of everything from yesterday, and six weeks-worth of weekly offsite backups of everything.

• Level 5*

Yeah - you have a bit of a scale problem.  You did mention living with the two tag groups...

I didn't realise batch grouping tags wasn't possible - you might want to contact support to see if they have any suggestions unless someone else here comes up with a brainwave. 

Looks like a good feature request (along with more tag management tools) if it's not possible.  The maximum number of tags is a ridiculous 100,000 but it would be hopeless to try to manage a tenth of that number without groupings,  and ways to move blocks of tags around...

• Level 5*

Weird.  As a test I just created a note with tags t1 to t10.  Also created tag groups TG1 and TG2, image below before the drag to TG2.  I was able to move all 10 tags from one group to the other.  I did it with the note in a local and synced notebook just to see if it made any difference.

You might consider creating a tag group at the top level and move the two tag groups to it and then move the individual tags.  Or maybe click on Tags and use the tag screen.

ScreenClip.png.0c0aac9c2696d42d67f03fdcb

6 hours ago, csihilling said:

Weird.  As a test I just created a note with tags t1 to t10.  Also created tag groups TG1 and TG2, image below before the drag to TG2.  I was able to move all 10 tags from one group to the other.  I did it with the note in a local and synced notebook just to see if it made any difference.

You might consider creating a tag group at the top level and move the two tag groups to it and then move the individual tags.  Or maybe click on Tags and use the tag screen.

ScreenClip.png.0c0aac9c2696d42d67f03fdcb

csihilling - that tempted me to try again

I was able to move them in a dozen or so blocks each of about a dozen tags.  Initially I tried to move them in one block.  When that didn't work I was doing them one-by-one.

I suspect my difficulty was due to the shortcomings of D'n'D multiple items (the tags) within the same container (the tree).  It's not peculiar to EN, it's been inherent in WIMP user interfaces since the getgo with Star - the problems manifest when you're selecting or D'n'Ding off the edge of the window. I should have though of that, it's one of the reasons I run a 2-pane file manager - age does weary some of us.

Thanks for the hint :wub:

Archived