SUGGESTION: Hierarchical to-do

How about sub-to-dos under to-do?  Then you could break a to-do task into a number of sub-tasks, each with a checkbox.  When all the sub-tasks are checked, the parent task is checked.  Or check the parent to mark all the subs as complete.

• Level 5*

If you can give me a platform I'll move this to a product feedback forum where it can be addressed as a request.

My thinking is that Evernote isn't moving in the direction of adding task management features, and this will remain as a simple checkbox - although they have included it as a search item.

If it gets enough votes, they may give it more attention.

I use both Windows and Mac, more on Windows.

So, what direction IS Evernote moving in?  I'm a relatively new user but quickly becoming dependent.  It would be nice to know the kinds of features that are most likely to appear in the future.

Thanks!

• Level 5*

Moved to the Windows product feedback area.  
Anyone interested in this request should up vote it, using the arrows at the top left corner of the discussion.

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, dec4106 said:

I use both Windows and Mac, more on Windows.

So, what direction IS Evernote moving in?  I'm a relatively new user but quickly becoming dependent.  It would be nice to know the kinds of features that are most likely to appear in the future.

Thanks!

Evernote doesn't usually share its development plans or schedules before they're released.  Have a search around the forums to see what features users are requesting - there are a lot of suggestions,  and every one is guaranteed (apparently) to ensure Evernote's future success...  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just this minute I discovered stacks while browsing other feedback.  This may be enough "hierarchy" for me.  I don't have that many notebooks yet; we'll see how it scales.  Nice feature though!

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, dec4106 said:

Just this minute I discovered stacks while browsing other feedback.  This may be enough "hierarchy" for me.  I don't have that many notebooks yet; we'll see how it scales.  Nice feature though!

Please let us know how you implement it.
I personally favour tags, but they're not really hierarchical, and I know TSW recommends task notebooks.

I don't know what a "task notebook" is, but the notebooks for my programming and recording projects were tending to be named like, "project bugs", "project suggestions", "project schedule", ...  I was looking for a way to have a 'project' folder with subfolders for bugs, suggestions, etc.  The EverNote Stacks feature lets me do that, and it's built right in.  If you're not familiar with this feature, check this link: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208314158-How-to-organize-notebooks-into-stacks.  I've only started using it but I'm feeling like it's really going to aid in staying organized.

BTW, I'm starting to use tags too, but in a basic, conventional sense.  For example, for programming tasks, I have tags like "submitted", "working", "deferred", "fixed", etc.  I'm interested in what other ways tags might be useful.  

All of this is very tentative, I've only been using EN for about a month.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, dec4106 said:

I'm interested in what other ways tags might be useful.  

I use tags 
- to indicate which of my notes are Actionable
- to indicate scheduling priority of a task/to-do
Each task/to-do is a separate note.
I use When tags; Now/Soon/Later/Scheduled/Someday/

>>I don't know what a "task notebook" is
That would be a notebook where you store task/to-do notes

You might be interested in looking at http://www.thesecretweapon.org
They have ideas on task/to-do notes, tags, notebooks and stacks

Archived