Evernote for Mac 6.6 Beta 2 released

Adjusting

Idea

• Level 5

Today we’re releasing Evernote for Mac 6.6 Beta 2. 

The primary reason for this release is to introduce a new navigation/search feature we're working on which lets you quickly switch between notes and notebooks. It replaces the notebook selector and can be accessed with “J”. Give it a try!

Thanks for testing the Mac 6.6 Beta 2 release and please report issues you find in this forum thread. You can download the beta here or update from within the app.

62 replies to this idea

19 hours ago, tmsbn said:

Same here. I am getting the old version of notebook selector too. Did you upgrade your evernote from the app or did a fresh install?

I upgraded from the app. 

5 hours ago, SoftwareMarcus said:

Are you using Evernote for Mac 6.6 Beta 2?  Double check the About Box to make sure.   I'm really liking the Quick Switcher.  I think it's better than what we talked about when planning the feature.  Great job!!!  

Yes, I have beta 2. Just double checked to make sure, but I updated it before I tried this. 

On 3/11/2016 at 1:16 AM, Laura Toeniskoetter said:

Hi, new on the forums, but I'm still getting the old version when I do CMD+J. It's been a long week here, so I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but I'm not sure what. Thanks!

Screenshot 2016-03-11 15.13.15.png

Same here. I am getting the old version of notebook selector too. Did you upgrade your evernote from the app or did a fresh install?

• Level 5*
On March 9, 2016 at 2:45 AM, zzamboni said:

(new navigation/search CmdJ) Doesn't seem to match non-word-beginnings, 

I wouldn't have expected the search to include "non-word-beginnings" and would not want it by default.

In your example, typing "inb" would give me every notebook/note/tag containing inb; not too workable

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, trumpetg said:

No problem for me on El Cap. Tags are autocompleting fine.

Not here. Not sure what is different about my El Capitan and EN 6.6b2 and yours, but they aren't autocompleting. You are sure you are on b2? B1 didn't have this issue.

56 minutes ago, EdH said:

Not sure what is different about my El Capitan and EN 6.6b2 and yours, but they aren't autocompleting. You are sure you are on b2?

Yep. Definitely on b2. And still encountering no problems with autocomplete.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, trumpetg said:

Yep. Definitely on b2. And still encountering no problems with autocomplete.

Interesting. And just to be sure we are using the same definition for autocomplete, when I say it, I mean if I type "Docu" in the tag field, it fills in the full tag "Documentation" and doesn't just put "Documentation" in the drop down. I would call the latter a suggestion.

if we are using the same definition, interesting it is happening to some and not to others.

35 minutes ago, EdH said:

Interesting. And just to be sure we are using the same definition for autocomplete, when I say it, I mean if I type "Docu" in the tag field, it fills in the full tag "Documentation" and doesn't just put "Documentation" in the drop down. I would call the latter a suggestion.

My apologies. You are correct: I understood autocomplete to be referring to dropdown suggestions. My tag field is not automatically populated after I enter the first few letters of a tag.

Sorry for the confusion. We can all happily share the same bug now.

On 3/10/2016 at 1:16 PM, Laura Toeniskoetter said:

Hi, new on the forums, but I'm still getting the old version when I do CMD+J. It's been a long week here, so I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but I'm not sure what. Thanks!

Screenshot 2016-03-11 15.13.15.png

Are you using Evernote for Mac 6.6 Beta 2?  Double check the About Box to make sure.   I'm really liking the Quick Switcher.  I think it's better than what we talked about when planning the feature.  Great job!!!  

I don't know if this was mentioned by Adjusting yet but there is also a new Tag feature.  In the note you'll now see a drop down arrow next to the Tag.  If you right click on the tag you'll see a new menu and menu item called Filter By Tag.  This is a quick way to see all of your notes with that Tag.  For example if I want to see all of the notes that I tagged UCLA, I can do this quickly by right clicking the UCLA tag in one of the notes and selecting Filter By Tag.  This was a feature request by the Evernote Mac designer who is a heavy user of tags.

• Level 5
On 10 March 2016 at 1:16 PM, Laura Toeniskoetter said:

Hi, new on the forums, but I'm still getting the old version when I do CMD+J. It's been a long week here, so I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but I'm not sure what.

Maybe not that obvious. Go to the Software Update pane of Preferences and make sure that “Update to beta versions when available” is checked.

On 3/10/2016 at 11:17 PM, tmsbn said:

There is a strange bug related to highlighting of sidebar shortcuts in this beta. When I click on saved search shortcut(on the sidebar), it gets highlighted for just a second before 'notes' on the sidebar gets highlighted again. But I click on the same saved search shortcut again, the highlight stays.  Here is a video showing the problem

I guess his bug is probably related to the issue I reported here earlier. Can the team fix this please?

Thanks for this, this is on our radar and we are trying to get this resolved in this release version.

On 3/10/2016 at 8:02 AM, macfixer said:

Sure!

Here is Spotlight:

56e2eb0309861_Napkin03-11-1610.57.50AM.p

Here is Evernote:

56e2eb4f401f5_Napkin03-11-1610.59.05AM.p

They're just white boxes to type in, in my opinion. Add something (other than the Evernote logo, which is kind of subtle) splashy to it so that we know without a doubt, we're searching in Evernote. Perhaps an Evernote Green border? The Evernote text logo? A different shade of (*shudder*) grey? Something to differentiate it.

Also, if you do end up keeping this tone, if I select the option of a dark sidebar, the search box should adhere to it, and be dark as well, OS X Yosemite-style.

Thanks for this feedback, I have passed it on to the design team to evaluate further. The problem in introducing green is that we don't have that color elsewhere on the UI yet, but we are planning on re-evaluating that as well. But we could use a shade of blue that we use elsewhere or fix the contrast in selection as well. 

On 3/10/2016 at 9:07 AM, Steven Huey said:

J is great - much better than the existing options. Hoping you can add tag searching to it too!

Thanks. We do have plans to add tag searching as well.

On 3/11/2016 at 3:56 AM, Old Timekeeper said:

For some reason I am only getting a partial view of the input in the search box. Also, it would be nice if tags may be included as a lot of my notes are categorized based on tags.

Screen Shot 2016-03-12 at 7.54.18 PM.png

Noted, and should be fixed in the latest version.

2 hours ago, SoftwareMarcus said:

I don't know if this was mentioned by Adjusting yet but there is also a new Tag feature.  In the note you'll now see a drop down arrow next to the Tag.  If you right click on the tag you'll see a new menu and menu item called Filter By Tag.  This is a quick way to see all of your notes with that Tag.  For example if I want to see all of the notes that I tagged UCLA, I can do this quickly by right clicking the UCLA tag in one of the notes and selecting Filter By Tag.  This was a feature request by the Evernote Mac designer who is a heavy user of tags.

This is indeed a very useful enhancement. It brings an immediacy to the tag experience which is very elegant in its efficiency.

Lovely addition. Thank you.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

I can confirm this, in Yosemite 10.10.5., actually it IS El Capitan. Tags do NOT autocomplete for any tag, not just those starting with special characters.

I'm not sure why we are getting different results.  Tags are definitely NOT autocompleting for me in EN Mac 6.6 B2 on El Capitan:

Screenshot:

EN-Mac-6.6B2-Autocomplete.png

2 hours ago, Laura Toeniskoetter said:

Yes, I have beta 2. Just double checked to make sure, but I updated it before I tried this.

Can you confirm that you are using Cmd + J and still not seeing this new note switcher? If you click on the Notebook drop down in the note list header, you will still see the old notebook selector. This new functionality currently is only available when pressing the shortcut Cmd + J. 

39 minutes ago, Zeesha said:

Can you confirm that you are using Cmd + J and still not seeing this new note switcher? If you click on the Notebook drop down in the note list header, you will still see the old notebook selector. This new functionality currently is only available when pressing the shortcut Cmd + J. 

Hi Zeesha,

Even I am not seeing the new notebook selector. Yes, I am using Cmd + J, and yes, its evernote 6.6 beta 2. Double checked.

18 hours ago, DTLow said:

I wouldn't have expected the search to include "non-word-beginnings" and would not want it by default.

In your example, typing "inb" would give me every notebook/note/tag containing inb; not too workable

But this is how it works in the previous notebook selector - I can type any substring to search for the notebook to which I want to jump or move a note, and I use it all the time. Granted, this only matches notebook/stack names and not every note. Maybe substring matching could only be done for notebook/stack names in the new selector?

• Level 5*

What is the arrow next to notebook names in the note header when in search results? To see it, do this:

• Search for a tag, tag:whatever
  • Select any note
  • Hover your cursor over the notebook name for the note. An arrow pointing to the right shows up.

It seems to just remove the search results. Is that what it does? seems and odd way to "clear search results" or is it doing something else?

32 minutes ago, EdH said:

What is the arrow next to notebook names in the note header when in search results? To see it, do this:

• Search for a tag, tag:whatever
  • Select any note
  • Hover your cursor over the notebook name for the note. An arrow pointing to the right shows up.

It seems to just remove the search results. Is that what it does? seems and odd way to "clear search results" or is it doing something else?

The arrow appears when you hover over the notebook name without doing a search. Clicking the arrow takes you to the note's notebook.

• Level 5*

The arrow appears when you hover over the notebook name without doing a search. Clicking the arrow takes you to the note's notebook.

(Notebook Arrow) It sometimes appears and sometimes doesn't. 
It seems similar to the Filter by Tag when you right click on the tag.  To be consistent, I'd prefer to see the same UI for notebook.

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, SoftwareMarcus said:

I don't know if this was mentioned by Adjusting yet but there is also a new Tag feature.  In the note you'll now see a drop down arrow next to the Tag.

The tag drop down also has a menu item - Delete From All Notes
I didn't try it; it seems a scary option for when you're viewing a note

53 minutes ago, DTLow said:

(Notebook Arrow) It sometimes appears and sometimes doesn't. 
It seems similar to the Filter by Tag when you right click on the tag.  To be consistent, I'd prefer to see the same UI for notebook.

I'm inclined to agree. But the Notebook arrow pre-dates the new Tag dropdown. Given the size and style of the Notebook icon, an always visible arrow alongside might be a little too obtrusive.

I've got used to the present arrow behaviour. And most of the time I've found it appears on mouse-over.

14 hours ago, Zeesha said:

Yes, I was using CMD + J. I redownloaded from the link above, thinking a clean install may work, but it didn't change anything. Still getting the old list.

This is pretty exciting. Looking forward to testing it out and seeing how I can make it part of my workflow. Almost could remove my need for a sidebar. Thumbs up.

One immediate thought is the power of this thing system wide. The idea of Evernote content being available in a Spotlight/Alfred/Quicksilver way at any time could be really great. The main window could be minimized but in a single shortcut one could start calling up a note or notebook as they are working on other things in other apps. 

On 3/12/2016 at 7:14 PM, JMichaelTX said:

Tags are not autocompleting for me.

Thanks for everyone who pitched in on this issue. We identified this as a bug and fixed it for the coming release. Thanks!

• Level 5
On 14 March 2016 at 1:09 PM, Laura Toeniskoetter said:

Yes, I was using CMD + J. I redownloaded from the link above, thinking a clean install may work, but it didn't change anything. Still getting the old list.

On 14 March 2016 at 5:12 PM, Adjusting said:

Go to the Software Update pane of Preferences and make sure that “Update to beta versions when available” is checked.

8 hours ago, Adjusting said:

Yes, this worked for me. I enabled “Update to beta versions when available” in preferences, and restarted evernote. Now cmd+J is showing the new notebook search bar.

• Level 5*
On March 9, 2016 at 2:41 PM, Adjusting said:

The primary reason for this release is to introduce a new navigation/search feature we're working on which lets you quickly switch between notes and notebooks. It replaces the notebook selector and can be accessed with “J”. Give it a try!

J gives me a list that includes:
- two of my notebooks, out of 5
- a few of my notes

I guess the two notebooks would allow a quick switch;
I don't understand the reason for the notes.

• Level 5
8 minutes ago, DTLow said:

J gives me a list that includes:
- two of my notebooks, out of 5
- a few of my notes

I guess the two notebooks would allow a quick switch; I don't understand the reason for the notes.

If you don’t type anything, it just shows you the most recent notes and notebooks you’ve accessed. The real power of it comes when you type part of the name of the note or notebook want to open. It’s possible that this will be more useful for people who have large numbers of notebooks; That’s exactly the type of feedback we’re looking for.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Adjusting said:

It replaces the notebook selector and can be accessed with “J”.

Can you please post a screenshot of how this works?  Or, even better, an animated GIF that captures the action.

I have to say I do NOT like the idea of REPLACING the current Notebooks selector and CMD-J.  I would prefer that you leave those in place, and just add this new navigation feature to it, with a new shortcut.

My muscle memory and numerous macros are well-programed using CMD-J.  Please don't change it.

I like the new notebook switcher. Nice new embellishment.

It doesn't seem to be replacing the notebook selector in the Toolbar when adding a new note, or the Notebooks item in the Sidebar. Which is as it should be. These should be left as is.

3 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

I have to say I do NOT like the idea of REPLACING the current Notebooks selector and CMD-J.  I would prefer that you leave those in place, and just add this new navigation feature to it, with a new shortcut.

My muscle memory and numerous macros are well-programed using CMD-J.  Please don't change it.

We feel that this is an improvement to the current notebook selector functionality and is additive in nature. It not only lets you get to a notebook but any piece of content within Evernote quickly. But this is very useful feedback, I would love to know if you still feel this way after a couple of days of using it. If we did replace the shortcut with this functionality, what about the current notebook selector would you miss?

2 hours ago, trumpetg said:

When a Tag stack is selected in the Sidebar, as with EN6.6b1, the dropdown arrow to its left is still not visible, whether the stack is open or closed.

Can the team fix this please?

Thanks for this feedback, we are on it. 

• Level 5*
55 minutes ago, Zeesha said:

Can you please post a screenshot of how this works?  Or, even better, an animated GIF that captures the action.

@Zeesha:  Thanks for the animated GIF, but it is too small, and too fast to understand what is going on.

• Perhaps you can just capture the area of the Quick Switcher
  • After you type something, keep recording for a few seconds so we can see what happens
  • It would also be nice to see what happens when you press RETURN (or whatever) to select the results

Sorry that I cannot update to the Beta version, because it is too risky for my workflow.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Zeesha said:

We feel that this is an improvement to the current notebook selector functionality and is additive in nature. It not only lets you get to a notebook but any piece of content within Evernote quickly. But this is very useful feedback, I would love to know if you still feel this way after a couple of days of using it. If we did replace the shortcut with this functionality, what about the current notebook selector would you miss?

I'm sure you do feel it is important, or you would not have implemented it.  ;)

But, IMO, the first rule of doctors and programmers is to "do no harm", or so it seems to me.  ;)

Since I'm not (and I can't) run the beta, I can't see exactly what you have done.  

1. Are you completely replacing the current "Jump to Notebook" feature, which you can get by shortcut or clicking the dropdown at the top of the note list?
  2. Will I still be able to change the Notebook filter (Jump to NB) as easily as I can now?
  3. How does this impact the Search context ("Everything" vs <CurrentNB>)?
  4. From one of the posts above, it appears that you do not initially show all Notebooks in the QuickSwitcher, is that correct?  What if I can't remember the name of the NB I want?

Thanks for asking for our feedback.  I hope you will give it due consideration before you make the final decision of what to include in the next public (GA) release.

The new selector looks very nice and Spotlight-y. I have a couple of comments:

• Doesn't seem to match non-word-beginnings, e.g. I have a notebook called "0INBOX", if I type "inb" in the selector, this notebook is not shown in the matches, only if I type "0inb".
  • It does not match stack names (the previous selector does).
  • (feature request) it would be nice if it matched saved search names as well.

@JMichaelTX I have continued using the new selector exactly in the same way I used the previous one, and other than the two first items above (which I'm sure will be fixed) it seems to be pretty much a drop-in replacement from the previous one. To answer your question: it does NOT show you your entire stack/notebook structure like the previous one did, you have to type what you are looking for. For this you'd need to look in the sidebar or the notebooks screen for the notebook you need.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, zzamboni said:

(feature request) it would be nice if it matched saved search names as well.

I'd second that request; and why not add tags as well
Make it a complete navigation search

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, EdH said:

>>No problem for me on El Cap. Tags are autocompleting fine. @Trumpetg

Tags are not auto completing - I can confirm this
                                                  Evernote: Version 6.6 Beta 2 (453232 Direct) 
                                                  OS El Capitan 10.11.3

11 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'd second that request; and why not add tags as well
Make it a complete navigation search

Thanks for this feedback, that is something we plan to add support for in coming versions.

20 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:
  1. Are you completely replacing the current "Jump to Notebook" feature, which you can get by shortcut or clicking the dropdown at the top of the note list?
  2. Will I still be able to change the Notebook filter (Jump to NB) as easily as I can now?
  3. How does this impact the Search context ("Everything" vs <CurrentNB>)?
  4. From one of the posts above, it appears that you do not initially show all Notebooks in the QuickSwitcher, is that correct?  What if I can't remember the name of the NB I want?

Thanks for asking for our feedback.  I hope you will give it due consideration before you make the final decision of what to include in the next public (GA) release.

1) We are currently NOT thinking of replacing the 'clicking the drop down at the top of the note list'. Clicking the drop down will still open the notebook selector. However we are thinking to replace the shortcut Cmd+J to open up this navigation switcher instead of the notebook selector. Based on some of the feedback we have heard, we are currently considering whether we should preserve a shortcut (maybe option + command + J) that will still give users the ability to quickly open up the notebook selector since its use might differ slightly in allowing users to visually see a list of notebooks.

2) Yes we think so, and would love feedback if folks think this isn't the case. 

3) This doesn't introduce any new interactions with the search context

4) Yes that is correct, and this is one of the reasons that we are thinking to still preserve the notebook selector functionality because having a list of notebooks to visually inspect and jump to might be an important use case for some. Would love to know peoples thoughts around this. 

The feedback on this forum is great and really helps us shape our features so that we do whats best for our users. Thank you all for contributing here and helping make Evernote better.

There is a strange bug related to highlighting of sidebar shortcuts in this beta. When I click on saved search shortcut(on the sidebar), it gets highlighted for just a second before 'notes' on the sidebar gets highlighted again. But I click on the same saved search shortcut again, the highlight stays.  Here is a video showing the problem

I guess his bug is probably related to the issue I reported here earlier. Can the team fix this please?

11 hours ago, Zeesha said:

@macfixer Thanks for this feedback. Can you elaborate on this a little more please. 

Sure!

Here is Spotlight:

56e2eb0309861_Napkin03-11-1610.57.50AM.p

Here is Evernote:

56e2eb4f401f5_Napkin03-11-1610.59.05AM.p

They're just white boxes to type in, in my opinion. Add something (other than the Evernote logo, which is kind of subtle) splashy to it so that we know without a doubt, we're searching in Evernote. Perhaps an Evernote Green border? The Evernote text logo? A different shade of (*shudder*) grey? Something to differentiate it.

Also, if you do end up keeping this tone, if I select the option of a dark sidebar, the search box should adhere to it, and be dark as well, OS X Yosemite-style.

• Level 5*

Tags are not autocompleting for me. If I type #sin for example, it shows #Single Task in the suggested list, but it isn't autoselected and hitting enter creates a new tag called #sin.

This was working properly in 6.6b1.

It might be you are trying to fix the issue of tags like "2-Next" being changed to "2-Next-" when you type 2-, and it no longer recommends 2-Next-, but it now just creates a tag called 2- if I type 2- and hit enter vs what it did pre-El Capitan, which was 2-<enter> properly entered 2-Next.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, EdH said:

I can confirm this, in Yosemite 10.10.5., actually it IS El Capitan. Tags do NOT autocomplete for any tag, not just those starting with special characters.

EDIT:  Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 11:05 PM CST

I forgot I was on my test Mac, which I have just done a clean install of El Capitan, and Evernote.

49 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

I can confirm this, in Yosemite 10.10.5.  Tags do NOT autocomplete for any tag, not just those starting with special characters.

Bug: After selecting a note from the Recent Notes list in the Sidebar and moving to a different note not in Recent Notes, the previously selected recent note remains highlighted even though it is no longer selected.

Archived