Single note widget

dguillaume

Idea

15 replies to this idea

I've installed Evernote many times over the years and quickly stop using it after I remember why I don't use it.. It's missing this, in my opinion, very obvious feature. I just want to have two different note widgets on my main screen with a minimalistic menu button that allows me to change which note it is displaying. The current widget has a full row of buttons which wastes space. The date of last edit visible in start of each note is also unnecessary in my opinion.

Just like OP I want to have fastest possible access to notes on my phone's main screen. Like a grocery list and a list of stuff I need to buy from hardware store, so I can just quickly check if there's something I'm forgetting. Then if I'm for example building some project and need to take measurements I could change my grocery note for a blank note and write down my measurements, again with very minimal effort as I only need to unlock my phone and it would be right there on my main screen.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Have you looked at all the existing widgets?  There's a 'list' option that will show you part of a note,  and open to that specific note if you tap it..  or individual buttons that could open individual notes if you wish...

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Have you looked at all the existing widgets?  There's a 'list' option that will show you part of a note,  and open to that specific note if you tap it..  or individual buttons that could open individual notes if you wish...

I want to be able to see the whole note, view only as quickly as possible, this is possible with other apps but none of them are as powerful as Evernote

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

You could take a screenshot and use it as wallpaper,  but that stops all of Evernote's functions from working.  If you save your shopping list as one-note-per-item notes in a separate notebook you could scroll up and down the list of notes in the large widget,  but that's it for current options.  If Evernote (and everyone else) think this is a useful feature request,  maybe someday...  all you have for now though is workarounds!

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

You could take a screenshot and use it as wallpaper,  but that stops all of Evernote's functions from working.  If you save your shopping list as one-note-per-item notes in a separate notebook you could scroll up and down the list of notes in the large widget,  but that's it for current options.  If Evernote (and everyone else) think this is a useful feature request,  maybe someday...  all you have for now though is workarounds!

I want to be able to interact with it when needed to update the list, or even check tick boxes without actually opening evernote, I know lots of people want this, is their any way to formally submit ideas to Evernote?

• Level 5*

This is the place to raise ideas and feedback - Evernote created the feedback pages so they could judge the interest in ideas raised,  and prioritise the development necessary. 

With 150M very active users they're careful (although not always careful enough) to avoid making changes that don't benefit the majority of their users,  hence the voting system at top left.  If your proposal is popular it stands more chance of being adopted.  I'm just saying that until it is available you may have to look at work-arounds - unless they already had this idea in development and are about to launch it on an unsuspecting world,  it will be months or years before you see any changes from current suggestions...

Others have suggested the same feature, the difficulty is depending which Google search you do you will land on different pages and the vote is diluted. I will certainly vote for each one I see....

i'm new here but I have the same wishes as the above posters.

I don't think Evernote is for us, unfortunately.

Evernote is great for syncronization between my PC and my android; love it!

But when it comes to the wishes of myself and the folks above,  it's widget is lacking.  I put the widget on my screen, it shows a simple list of notes. Can't do anything with it; you have to click the widget and it takes you into Evernote.  
Clunky.

There's good apps for what we want out of a usable, interactive widget:  NoteToDo.Notes To do list is one.  You can create list items, have full font/color/size control, check them off, and do all of this *from within the widget itself*.  No "display widget" that merely sends you to the app.

Again, though, obviously Evernote is loved by many people.  I guess they just don't want what we want.

An old school widget offers similar functionality, but not font or size options, and no backup or cloud sync: Checklist Widget.  It's ooold.  But does what we want.

Evernote it seems to me is a Word Document syncing app.  Not truly a To Do list app, as you can't have discrete To Do items that can be slid up and down (rearranged); it's just like a word document with boxes before lines of text.

Again, many love it, so we are the odd-ones-out.  To each their own.

• Level 5*
On 9/25/2020 at 8:16 AM, SamsungS20+CameraSUCKS!!! said:

Again, many love it, so we are the odd-ones-out.  To each their own.

Hi.  You're posting in a 3-year old thread,  and Evernote has changed a little(!) over that period,  though sadly if all you want is an easy-access to-do/ check-list then Evernote is hugely over-engineered for your use.  There are hundreds of free apps that will do exactly what you need.  Good luck in your search...

Yes my response may be to a 3 year old post, but the issue is still the same, doesn't matter the age of the original post.   My Observations are on point, and yes, Evernote is hugely over engineered for this particular desire, but for offering a nicely integrated cross-platform easily syncing application, Evernote does well.

I am a premium Evernote supporter, so I put my money where my mouth is.  Let's keep that in mind.  I know you have 38 M posts to my 2; just making observations.  There is always room for improvement in everything.

On 9/26/2020 at 10:29 AM, SamsungS20+CameraSUCKS!!! said:

Yes my response may be to a 3 year old post, but the issue is still the same, doesn't matter the age of the original post.   My Observations are on point, and yes, Evernote is hugely over engineered for this particular desire, but for offering a nicely integrated cross-platform easily syncing application, Evernote does well.

I am a premium Evernote supporter, so I put my money where my mouth is.  Let's keep that in mind.  I know you have 38 M posts to my 2; just making observations.  There is always room for improvement in everything.

Lololol. Before responding 3 years later on a now 6 yrold post, I had to re-read this to Make sure that it wasn't me actually typing all of that. 😁

The problem was and STILL is the same... If you don't use Evernote in a way that makes sense to the obviously superior engineers and leadership at Evernote,  you're doing it wrong. Change what works for you into a way that Evernote knows is best and make a better you! 

This is nonsense, as are the excuses being made for Evernote such as the demand being low for such features. If demand were critical, we would be no further than we were in the early 70s. Persoal computers weren't in demand. The Atari game system wasn't in demand. No one was demanding laptops, mobile phones, tablets (still a product in search of a market), and the lost goes on...bodycams, drones, self-driving cars... This industry of information is not consumer driven. There were no surveys asking if We wanted an internet economy. Apple didn't create the iPhone Because it was the top requested item on Macintosh message boards. Innovation and success in the marketplace is not consumer driven. It's driven by innovators with vision. People who have ideas for solving problems who take the extra step and find a way to make the solutions happen.

I am stunned that anyone who knows anything at all about business, economics, or software development would be so disconnected from reality to say "with yourself plus 2 supporters in favor of this feature..." And proceed to insult and belittle anyone wanting to use software in a way that it wasn't planned or invisioned. Any tech company with any common sense has a constant ear to the ground looking for the next possible idea that can possibly separate them from their competitors. These ideas don't manifest themselves in groupthink. They come from out of the box thinking. They come from those people who are constantly brainstorming and creating ever more efficient and effective methods of getting the things they want to get done completed. Aligning product development to customer polling data is the fastest route to stagnation.  The winners of the future will be those that generate new products, services, and features despite there being no existing demand. This what industry leaders do. Everybody else is just a follower and is destined to be forgotten.

Meanwhile, since it's obvious Evernote isn't going to do it, I guess I'm going to grab the API dev kit and see if I can't figure out a good way to do it myself.  I recently sold my ISP to a bigger player after spending several years providing internet service to people who live in areas where the big carriers didn't see enough demand. I wasn't quite sure what I was going to do next but this seems just as good as anything and might even be fun. 😁

Assuming I find a way to make it work, I will then come back here and let those who are interested in helping test it, give it a try. Wish me luck! 

On 1/19/2023 at 3:24 AM, kfreels said:

Lololol. Before responding 3 years later on a now 6 yrold post, I had to re-read this to Make sure that it wasn't me actually typing all of that. 😁

The problem was and STILL is the same... If you don't use Evernote in a way that makes sense to the obviously superior engineers and leadership at Evernote,  you're doing it wrong.

Hrm, I read @SamsungS20+CameraSUCKS!!! comment differently than you I suppose. These were some things I picked up on -- that while they also would love this feature, they also noted:

• "I don't think Evernote is for us, unfortunately."
  • "There's good apps for what we want out of a usable, interactive widget:"
  • "Again, though, obviously Evernote is loved by many people.  I guess they just don't want what we want."
  • "Again, many love it, so we are the odd-ones-out."

If this truly is a must-have feature, than there is a better tool out there for you.

On 1/19/2023 at 3:24 AM, kfreels said:

Assuming I find a way to make it work, I will then come back here and let those who are interested in helping test it, give it a try. Wish me luck!

You might have to wait another three years for anyone to offer help in testing it after you come back... (I'm just joking, but I couldn't resist! 😃 I really do wish you good luck!)