Search differences, mac vs windows

I just noticed a difference in search behavior between Macintosh and Windows and and I'd like to know what folks think about this.

I have a saved search called "Daily Review." The search is: [updated:day -tag:call]

(the call tag is to filter out phone call records, which come in thanks to IFTTT)

On Windows this usually shows fewer notes than on Mac. When I look at the note metadata, I see that on Windows, notes only have a modified timestamp if I actually modified them, while on Mac (and Android FWIW), the modified timestamp appears to be assumed equal to the created timestamp. Here's a screenshot from Windows to illustrate:

Selection_007.jpg.8649370fc978637512cdf0

If I didn't have that call tag, I could change my search to [any: created:day updated:day], but adding in the call tag doesn't work: [any: created:day updated:day -tag:call] returns lots that aren't from today, and that's as expected given the search grammar.

Any thoughts on how to approach this?

• Level 5*
36 minutes ago, dfaulkner said:
When I look at the note metadata, I see that on Windows, notes only have a modified timestamp if I actually modified them, while on Mac (and Android FWIW), the modified timestamp appears to be assumed equal to the created timestamp. 

That's interesting.  My default sort sequence is date updated, which wouldn't work to well.

Can you confirm this behavior for all notes? I'm thinking of list view where you can see the created and updated columns.

• Level 5*

Don't know how to get at it if an updated date does not exist.  Out of interest how are the notes being added to EN?  I just added a note inside EN and the created and updated dates were both populated with the same time stamp.  Checked email and import folder, and for both of those the updated time is blank.  Sort of answered my own question I suppose.

Interesting thing though, if you go to list view and sort by updated time, the time shows in the column but not in the note.  Weird.  Sorry no help here.

ScreenClip.png.b94905856e91adb10ab6f433e

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, dfaulkner said:

When I look at the note metadata, I see that on Windows, notes only have a modified timestamp if I actually modified them

That's a clear bug.  Even when a note is created, the modified date is set to the created date.  Searches involving mod date won't work until this is fixed.

I recommend that everyone who experiences a bug to submit a bug report.  This will make sure that Evernote is aware of the issue, provide your environment data to help identify/fix the issue, and put more pressure on Evernote to fix.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue", "Payment/Billing Issue", and  "Log in issues".

• Level 5*

@gazumped

I wouldn't swear to it, but I'm thinking it has been this way for a long time.  I remember seeing note headers w/o an updated date when looking at notes.  Just never did any updated searches so wouldn't have noticed.  Perhaps this is a feature.  :rolleyes:  <dark humor>

On 3/3/2016 at 11:57 AM, csihilling said:

Out of interest how are the notes being added to EN?  I just added a note inside EN and the created and updated dates were both populated with the same time stamp.  Checked email and import folder, and for both of those the updated time is blank. 

This is a great question. Notes I create in EN Windows have updated=created. The other notes are notes created other sources:

• chrome web clipper
  • android
  • IFTTT
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, csihilling said:

Well, @gazumped reported the issue in any case.

That's good, but it would help if everyone reported the bug.

I recommend that everyone who experiences a bug to submit a bug report.  This will make sure that Evernote is aware of the issue, provide your environment data to help identify/fix the issue, and put more pressure on Evernote to fix.

On 3/5/2016 at 8:15 PM, JMichaelTX said:

That's good, but it would help if everyone reported the bug.

I'm reporting today. I'm reporting it as a problem with Evernote Windows, since that's where the behavior manifests for me. I'm going to be clear about the apparent problem with created/updated stamps, and reference this thread.

Archived