Feature request: Sort by tag

Linda B.

Idea

I've seen this request come up in the past but without any response. I use a GTD system that depends on being able to sort by tags and find that I'm tied to my PC in order to do this.

Please consider adding this feature to iOS as I'm increasingly using my iPad and find the app a poor relation to the desktop version.

10 replies to this idea

Yes, putting all notes in one notebook and doing finer organization by tags is the "Evernote workflow" (unlike other app workflows like Apple Notes) but not being able to do anything with how these tags are displayed and work in the notebook context on iOS is a real pain and keeps me checking back regularly to see if Evernote has improved but since its inception this is an unexplored area on iOS.

• Level 5*
On March 2, 2016 at 2:02 AM, Linda B. said:

I use a GTD system that depends on being able to sort by tags and find that I'm tied to my PC in order to do this.

Can you provide more detail on this?
I'm not following how to sort by tags on the desktop platform?
What I'm missing from the desktop platform is the tag hierarchy.

Did you want to provide details of your GTD system and how it depends on sorting by tags?

• Level 5*
On April 23, 2016 at 8:04 AM, Linda B. said:

I add tasks to my Action pending notebook and tag them by urgency see - http://www.thesecretweapon.org/
On my PC I can see immediately which tasks have priority by sorting the tags, see attached image. On my iPad I can't do this and I want to!

Capture.JPG

Got it - sorting by the tag column in top list view
IOS doesn't offer the top list view
- I would like that too, for more reasons than the tag sorting

TSW does recomend prefixing the priority with a number, and sorting on the tag column. 
Another use was to identify action items with no tags.

I use shortcuts pointing to saved searches.
- a list of tasks with no tags          -tag:*
- a list of now tasks                       tag:"1-Now"
   with additional shortcuts for Next and Soon

Personally I found the 1-, 2-, 3- prefix counterproductive and I switched to a pefix of "When"
I start typing "When", I get a dropdown list displaying all my when tags

Another benefit of using a saved search is that it expands beyond the simple tag
For example, my Now list includes notes flagged with reminder dates - this allows notes to automatically appear on the required date and drop off when completed

Screen Shot 2016-04-23 at 8.52.54 AM.png   Screen Shot 2016-04-23 at 8.55.33 AM.png

4 hours ago, DTLow said:

Got it - sorting by the tag column in top list view
IOS does't offer the top list view
- I would like that too for more reasons than the tag sorting

TSW does recomend prefixing the priority with a number, and sorting on the tag column. 
Another use was to identify action items with no tags.

I use shortcuts pointing to saved searches.
- a list of tasks with no tags          -tag:*
- a list of now tasks                       tag:"1-Now"
   with additional shortcuts for Next and Soon

Personally I found the 1-, 2-, 3- prefix counterproductive and I switched to a pefix of "When"
I start typing "When", I get a dropdown list displaying all my when tags

Another benefit of using a saved search is that it expands beyond the simple tag
For example, my Now list includes notes flagged as reminders - this allows notes to automatically appear on the required date and drop off when completed

Screen Shot 2016-04-23 at 8.52.54 AM.png   Screen Shot 2016-04-23 at 8.55.33 AM.png

I've not used saved searches before, but I will now. I really like your use of 'When ' as I don't always remember the correct formatting of the prefix, but this seems pretty foolproof and should give me the overview that I'm looking for.

Thanks for responding and correctly interpreting my query!

• Level 5*

Same concept different implementation, I use the exclamation mark ! as the prefix to TSW tags.  1) because I'm lazy, 1 keystroke and, 2) I like the TSW tags to sort to the front in list view sorted by tags on my PC.  ;)

• Level 5*

If you search the forums there are quite a few posts relating to TSW or GTD.  They may or may not help.  I would say there isn't one version of either, everyone seems to morph to a method that works for them.  Some use tags, some use notebooks, some add reminders and reminder dates to the mix.  I'm sure you'll find what works for you.

• Level 5*
On March 2, 2016 at 2:02 AM, Linda B. said:

I've seen this request come up in the past but without any response. I use a GTD system that depends on being able to sort by tags and find that I'm tied to my PC in order to do this.

I always found sorting notes by tag an awkward workaround
- you had to prefix the tagname with a number so it appears first in the tag column.

Evernote does provide for sorting notes by title/createdate/update
Some people adjust the dates, or work in the Reminder or Shortcut sections where they can manually adjust the sequence
My process is to sort by title, and prefix the title to obtain the sequence I want.

For example, when I view all notes for a project, I want the following sequence
  Project Master Note; prefix title with -
  Next Actions; prefix title with a *
  Tasks; prefix title with a +
  Completed Tasks; prefix title with =
  Other Project Notes; .....

I am suggesting that we consolidate this request to get the votes up… I am suggesting mine because it already has a number of votes replies… The post is here, https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/88379-feature-request-improved-tag-functionality-for-ios/

This request keeps popping up but I believe it is getting ignored because it doesn’t get a critical mass of attention at any one moment, I’d like to see if we can get everyone on board to bring this up the list and to Evernote’s attention.

Thank you!

Archived