Cursor Placement Bugs

There have always been quirks in the placement of the cursor, which seem to have improved or been resolved (for years, when you pasted text, the cursor wasn't necessarily at the end of the text afterward, so if you just started typing, you be typing in the wrong place, and checkbox lists were pretty wacky, often typing before the checkbox, or on the next line, or the previous line.)

But there's a new bug:  when you click somewhere to place the cursor, and begin to type, the text is entered at the previous cursor position. (Evernote 6.5, Mac OS 10.9.5)

1. Cursor is in position A (say, line 6, character 22)

2. Click to place cursor in position B (say, like 18, character 0)

3. Press a key to start typing (say, "Hello World")

4. The text "Hello World" will be entered at position A.

The current workaround seems to be to click the cursor twice.  (I'm betting, that the code that places text is referencing the previous cursor position, while the code displaying the cursor is referencing the current cursor position).  So clicking twice, makes both the current cursor and the previous cursor the same.

However this is a pretty fundamental bug - not being able to type where the cursor is.

• 1 month later...

I've observed this, too.  But I think it's related to actions in checkboxes.  I don't have any problems if I'm just typing text.  

I've seen two different phenomena which may be the same bug:  

1. Clicking to move the cursor right after clicking on a checkbox makes the cursor appear in the new position momentarily, but the next text typed in appears at the old cursor position.  
  2. Clicking on a checkbox, then resuming typing, results in the first letter typed appearing after the subsequent letters.  

To reproduce bug 1:  

• Create a new note.  Hit Tab to move the cursor to the note content area.  
  • Hit Command-Shift-T to create a checkbox, then type "foo".  
  • Hit Enter three times, then type "bar".  This will create a blank line followed by a line containing "bar".  The cursor will be positioned after the "r".  
  • Click the checkbox that's before "foo".  The checkbox will change to checked, and the cursor will remain after the "r".  
  • Click in the whitespace just to the right of "foo", then type "foo" again.  
  • The second line will now contain the word "barfoo".  

Sometimes I see the cursor blink once after "foo" and then go back to "bar", sometimes it doesn't move at all.  Either way, the new text appears at the previous cursor location, not the place I just clicked.  

To reproduce bug 2:  

• Create a new note.  Hit Tab to move the cursor to the note content area.  
  • Hit Command-Shift-T to create a checkbox, then type "foo".  
  • Hit Enter.  A new line with a checkbox will be created.  Type "bar".  The cursor will be positioned after the "r".  
  • Click the checkbox that's before "foo".  The checkbox will change to checked, and the cursor will remain after the "r".  
  • Type "foo".  
  • The second line will now contain the word "baroof".  

I'm not kidding.  It appears that the letter "f" is placed where the cursor was positioned, then the cursor jumps back so that it's positioned before the "f" and then the following characters are entered there.  

Evernote for Mac, Version 6.6 (453323 App Store), OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 (14F1713)

Archived