Please do not let me down, OneNote VS Evernote, "Find Tags"

Recently, my colleague who uses OneNote shows me a very interesting feature in OneNote, which I could not find in EverNote; I am think very hard if I should switch to OneNote to enjoy this feature!

In OneNote, I can add many tags to mark each To Do inside the note book; For example :

- I have one note for meeting minutes; There are some To Do in the minutes and I must follow it;

- In the meantime, I have another note for one Project; There are some To Do in the project notes which I must follow it as well;

OneNote has a button called "Find Tags", it creates a summary view of all the To Do from different notes; I can click on each To Do and jump between different projects; This feature is so efficient to have a overview of all outstanding To Do items across all notes!

In Evernote, I can create only one type of check box for To Do items; And I must go through each notes to find open To Do items; There is no central place to view all my open To Do across all the notes!

Please check the attached screen capture for more details; In my company, I support Evernote, my colleague support OneNote, We always make joke to each other and try to prove one product is better than another; However, I feel I am losing this time;

Can EverNote provide similar feature in future?

Please do not let me down...

A Evernote Supporter from China

Zhengrong Huang

Evernote Tags.JPG

OneNote Find Tags screen capture.JPG

Hi,

As you said, it is not as efficient as OneNote; Imaging I have many un-checked To-Do in many notes; Some notes are pages and pages; It is not easy to have overview of all un-checked To-Do...

Thanks for your prompt reply; At least, I have learned something new in Evernote "todo:false"

11 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Check this out - How to filter your to-do notes (checklists) it's not the same as OneNote,  but if you want exactly what OneNote does...

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Zhengrong Huang said:

I have many un-checked To-Do in many notes

Same here; and I don't find the Evernote checkbox search too useful.
My approach is to keep my tasks (to-do) as individual notes and tag them as !Actionable.
I then use a tag search to list them.

If I wish to reference them, as per your meeting notes,
I would include a link to the tag note.
This is useful, and I do it for my daily journal,
however I don't want my tasks buried inside other notes.

• 1 month later...

That's a great feature in OneNote.  One of the reasons I wanted to switch over to 1N.  However, it only works on the desktop and you can't be reminded of them unless you connect it to outlook, which creates a task for it.  None of the apps (web,ios,android)  have this feature. I like to create my todo's on the fly when I think of them, which usually is not when I'm in front of my pc.  

I create notes for reminders and add actual tags to my notes.   I have a tag group called .todo with sub tags  inbox, action pending, complete, archive.  I create a notebook stack for each project and create reminders for my todo items.  Then my reminders are ordered by project and todos show up with or without dates.    It's a different way of doing it, but it works great for me.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm starting to use OneNote for some work projects because it is provided by our IT and many/most of our projects contain proprietary information or HIPAA protected information, so I don't want to use Evernote (which I use for everything else).  I was curious as to whether I should use OneNote tags as they seemed pretty nice, at first glance.

Turns out, OneNote tagging is actually pretty limited and searching for tags in OneNote is awful compared to Evernote's search capabilities.  Just do a websearch for "OneNote search tags" or something along these lines and you'll see what I mean.  I think once you start to accumulate lots of To-Do tags, you'll find OneNote's "Find Tags" command quite unwieldy.

And when you mark the To-Do as complete it doesn't disappear from the Find Tags search.  Meaning you'll need to actually remove the tag, which for me really limits its usefulness.  I've decided (for now) to avoid OneNote tags.

• 1 year later...

I know this probably untimely but its what i was working on today.

For me what makes OneNote find tag so great is it displays the line item that is actually tagged rather than just the note title.  I often have several check boxes in a note and one note lets me see each individual todo item in a list. I realize I could just make the note title the "todo" but that is not always convienant the way i have my system setup

I sure like the idea. I used to use OneNote before Evernote, it does have some neat features like these. 

There is definitely demand and need for using Evernote as a task manager as well and I hope Evernote start getting into task management role a little bit more.

I tried the TaskClone which actually is a good way of sending all your checkbox items into either one note in Evernote or to your task management software. But at that time, it was one-way communication so whatever you update on one app, did not modify the other. So it is again more work. You can give it a try www.taskclone.com 

Recently, I had to give up using Evernote as task manager software and started using Todoist in collaboration with Evernote which is still the center of all my operations. 

• Level 5*
42 minutes ago, TK0047 said:

There is definitely demand and need for using Evernote as a task manager as well and I hope Evernote start getting into task management role a little bit more.

Evernote has not indicated an interest in "getting into task management"

Its a generic filing app, but I use it for management of my tasks
Specifically, what features are you looking for?

This discussion started with inserting tags within the note's contents
This is not a feature, but I maintain each task as a separate note which allows tags for each tasks
This also allows me to display tasks in different views; current tasks, project tasks, ....

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Evernote has not indicated an interest in "getting into task management"

Its a generic filing app, but I use it for management of my tasks
Specifically, what features are you looking for?

This discussion started with inserting tags within the note's contents
This is not a feature, but I maintain each task as a separate note which allows tags for each tasks
This also allows me to display tasks in different views; current tasks, project tasks, ....

Being able to see all your tasks (Next Actions) in a clear and a organized fashion similar to how to startup screens of task apps are setup. And the ability to get more info on the task by cross referencing and linking the original note it was generated from.

For example, when I create a note in Evernote, I created a section called NextActions:. As I create checkboxes there, if they accumulated in an area where you can only see these one line actions from numerous notes. Again, taskclone is doing something similar to this but not perfect.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, TK0047 said:

For example, when I create a note in Evernote, I created a section called NextActions:. As I create checkboxes there, if they accumulated in an area where you can only see these one line actions from numerous notes.

As you found out, Evernote doesn't do Note Sections

I could parse my notes, but I found it easier to use a separate note for each task.  I can display a list of my "next action" tasks

Archived