Starting Over w Evernote - Unable to share

I am an early adopter of Evernote and have been a premium customer for years. I use Evernote on Mac and until the workchat got foisted on me, I never had a problem sharing a note book or keeping one in sync with someone else.  

Over the last years,  chat started creeping into the platform with more and more prominence - until I was forced to use it to share.  Mind you Work chat  is inside Evernote but not actually part of my Evernote notes and notebook library. So Now I have two places I have to look for a given note.

THE EXACT PROBLEM

When I share a note or a friend shares a note with me,  I have no way of putting this note into my Evernote library - it is stuck in workchat purgatory and I cannot seem to rescue it.   I cannot open or import the note into my evernote library and cannot even add it to a note book ??

Further frustrating is that when I make changes to a note originated in my evernote app and my colleague opens it in chat, sometimes it erases the changes that I made, when I go back to my origninal version of the note stored in Evernote.  

I never used or wanted chat and it has made evernote completely unusable for me.  I searched through the docs and the video and the issue seems unaddressed so perhaps I am doing something wrong or missing something obvious.   Any help would be great ..

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, chris t said:

I never used or wanted chat

I agree.  But it has NOT made Evernote unusable for me.  It just gets in my way.

3 hours ago, chris t said:

When I share a note or a friend shares a note with me,  I have no way of putting this note into my Evernote library - it is stuck in workchat purgatory and I cannot seem to rescue it.

Until/IF greatly improves note sharing, and makes it separate from EN Work Chat, here are the workarounds I know of:

1. Share a Notebook if you need to share multiple notes, or both of you need to edit the same notes
  2. Share via Public URL if you just need to share the information.
    1. Public URLs are NOT searchable, so not likely to be discovered/viewed by others than the recipient
    2. But anyone who has the URL to view the note.
  3. In both of these cases, you can copy the shared note to your Evernote account (library).
5 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

I agree.  But it has NOT made Evernote unusable for me.  It just gets in my way.

Until/IF greatly improves note sharing, and makes it separate from EN Work Chat, here are the workarounds I know of:

1. Share a Notebook if you need to share multiple notes, or both of you need to edit the same notes
  2. Share via Public URL if you just need to share the information.
    1. Public URLs are NOT searchable, so not likely to be discovered/viewed by others than the recipient
    2. But anyone who has the URL to view the note.
  3. In both of these cases, you can copy the shared note to your Evernote account (library).

Thanks JMichael for the workarounds -  #3 though I cannot see how to do the copy other than copy and paste everything into a new note.

• Level 5*
47 minutes ago, chris t said:

Thanks JMichael for the workarounds -  #3 though I cannot see how to do the copy other than copy and paste everything into a new note.

You're welcome.  You need to copy the URL, not the actual note:
Goto Note > More Sharing > Copy Public Link.

This puts the link on your clipboard.  Compose a new email, and paste into body of email.

This will allow the recipient to review the latest version of your note as a web page.

EN-Mac-6.4-Copy-Public-Link.png

Archived