Evernote emailed notes created date match forwarded email date

I don't know if this is the place to make feature requests, but I regularly forward emails to my Evernote account for archival purposes and it would be great if Evernote had the option of detecting that it was a forwarded email and make the created notes created date match the date of the email being forwarded.  

This would greatly assist in keeping my notes sortable in the order in which I received the email without me having to make sure I forward the emails in the correct order, or after the fact go in and edit the created date of the note (which I can't even do in iOS).  This one thing alone would make Evernote infinitely more useful.

• Level 5*

This sounds like it could backfire in various ways - I wouldn't want it done automatically.
Right now, I have the note creation date, the note update and in your email case, dates within the message.
For me this works well.  
In IOS would it be of any use to put your date into the note title.

Nothing wrong with posting in this forum, but feature requests are better addressed in the product feedback areas where they can be voted on.

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

This sounds like it could backfire in various ways - I wouldn't want it done automatically.
Right now, I have the note creation date, the note update and in your email case, dates within the message.
For me this works well.  
In IOS would it be of any use to put your date into the note title.

Nothing wrong with posting in this forum, but feature requests are better addressed in the product feedback areas where they can be voted on.

Backfire how? Please elaborate.

If you're emailing a new note (not forwarded), then the new note should have the same created date a the email date (or close to it). This is what happens today.

What I'm asking for is a check-able option to make an email that I've received then forwarded to Evernote have the created date of the forwarded email, (which is information that is already in the email headers) instead of the date of the email that contains the forwarded message.

Not having the email date as the note created date makes sorting notes by date pretty useless since there is no correlation between the two if they don't match.

Putting the date in the title? Eww. That is an awful way to get around not having a pretty simple feature, and makes having the date fields at all a lot more pointless.

No. Email is a very old, very standard tech that should have way better support in Evernote for. Basic free email clients don't have a problem figuring out what is forwarded and what isn't because it's part of the standard.

Evernote can and should have better email support for handling emails.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Adrian Bacon said:

Backfire how? Please elaborate.

Nothing specific, and my sort sequence is update date; I don't usually look at create date, but when I do - I want it to be the actual creation.  Just a process I have to be reluctant to mess with the creation/update dates.

I confess to breaking this rule a few times; also the email>evernote app I use on my Mac has this option to use email date for creation date.

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Nothing specific, and my sort sequence is update date; I don't usually look at create date, but when I do - I want it to be the actual creation.  Just a process I have to be reluctant to mess with the creation/update dates.

@DTLow. Sorry, but this doesn't seem particularly applicable to the OPs issue?  He wants to change the create date to the email date on purpose, with cause.  Not much to backfire in that scenario.  His needs are just different than yours.

@Adrian Bacon, feature requests can go into the feedback forum where there is a voting mechanism.

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, csihilling said:

He wants to change the create date to the email date on purpose, with cause.

I think its going a bit further - He wants Evernote to implement a change for creation date - that makes it more serious.

@Adrian Bacon let us know if you want the discussion moved and to which forum.  We can move it for you 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

I think its going a bit further - He wants Evernote to implement a change for creation date - that makes it more serious.

Further than what?  I think we are all talking about an EN mod to change create date in a certain case.  

• 1 month later...

This is exactly what I would like also:

1.  Forward email to evernote

2.  Tell Evernote to use the sent date in the email as the created date in Evernote.

Currently, MailButler will do this with a (pricey) plugin for MacMail.  I cannot find a solution for Outlook (win or mac), Google Mail or Office365.

Archived