Tag Synonyms

ChristianK

I have too many tags. I have an tag called `post-idea` and a tag called `post-ideas`. Both tags point to the same concept. Yet I can't tell Evernote that they are the same.

The StackExchange network has a feature called tag synonyms. If the community on StackExchange declares that `post-ideas` is a synonym for `post-idea` ever time someone adds `post-ideas` as a tag for a post it would be automatically converted into `post-idea`.

I'm lazy when it comes to typing tags. I want to type abbreviation on names for tag. In this case I would like to simply type `pi` for `post-idea`. Workflowy is nice to work with because it allows abbreviations.

Wouldn't this make the UI more complex? I don't think so. Hide it behind the context menu of rightclicking on tags. That context menu has few entries at the moment.

• Level 5

I have a lot of tags, over 1,400 at last count. To keep tags consistent and easy to remember, I rely on some personal cast-in-stone rules for my tags.

1.) Always use singular version, never plural. 

2.) Always use lower case characters.

3.) Always use  a dash to join two words together (hewlett-packard).

4.) Peoples' names always start with last name then first name.

5.) Keep tags grouped by using 3 character prefixes. (per- for personal tags; com- for company name tags; ins- for insurance tags, etc.).

6.) A few of my most important tags start with !

6.) Once a week, scroll through tags in the Left Panel and look for outliers or typos.

6.) Once a week, scroll through tags in the Left Panel and look for outliers or typos.

When it comes to errors like that it's interesting to note that even if you remove the wrongly typed tag on the new card the tag still exists in the left panel. It has to be manually deleted.

• Level 5
40 minutes ago, ChristianK said:

It has to be manually deleted.

Yes, that is a built-in safety feature to ensure the user really wants it deleted. 

Deleting a tag is a powerful decision. It is a permanent change and cannot be undone.

The tag deletion can be accomplished from either 1.) the actual note or 2.) from the Left Panel

• Level 5

"In what sense can deleting an empty tag not be undone?"

I did not restrict my comments to an "empty" tag.  The safety feature I mentioned was for users who accidentally delete a tag that is assigned to multiple notes. When the tag is deleted, it is removed from all of those multiple notes permanently and cannot be retrieved. So Evernote makes sure the user confirms they really want to delete the tag.

There's nothing terribly time-consuming nor difficult about selecting all notes with one of the tags you want to dissolve, tagging them all with the tag you'd prefer to keep... and then deleting the tag you want to do away with in the Left Panel. 

If Evernote had this proposed "Tag Synonym" feature, would it not require some sort of action to implement anyways?... and then, you're still stuck with 2 tags which you know mean the same thing in your tag list. The "Tag Synonym" feature sounds like it creates as many problems as it solves. Messiness.  

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, ChristianK said:

I have too many tags. I have an tag called `post-idea` and a tag called `post-ideas`. Both tags point to the same concept.

@jbenson2 has given you some good advice about naming tags.  I would add this:  When you create a new tag, name it something that is very intuitive to you.  Most often this will be the first name that pops into your head.

I have one difference with JB:  I use CamelCase to help reliability.  Evernote ignores the case, so it doesn't matter.

Finally, I only create new tags (with rare exception) when I am assigning the tag to a note.  The tag auto-complete should help you avoid creating tag synonyms ("post-idea" and "post-ideas").  The key is to watch the screen when you are typing/selecting a tag to assign to a note, and don't press RETURN until you are sure you have the right tag.

I want to type abbreviation on names for tag.

You can use text expander apps, like AutoHotKey (Win) and TextExpander (Mac), to perform this function.  Works great.

• Level 5*

i'm lazy when it comes to typing tags. I want to type abbreviation on names for tag. In this case I would like to simply type `pi` for `post-idea`. Workflowy is nice to work with because it allows abbreviations.

There are software add ins for this, such as TextExpander.  On my Mac and IPad, keyboard shortcuts are built into the OS

>>I have too many tags. I have an tag called `post-idea` and a tag called `post-ideas`. Both tags point to the same concept.

Are you typing your tags completely freestyle.  I select my tags from a list, doing some typing to reduce the size of the list.  I wish Evernote gave a confirmation box when creating a new tag at the note level.  For me, it usually indicates a mistake.

• Level 5*

When it comes to errors like that it's interesting to note that even if you remove the wrongly typed tag on the new card the tag still exists in the left panel. It has to be manually deleted.

You can always right click - Delete the tag from the note header.  But per @jbenson2, buyer beware.

• 5 months later...

Archived