Text styles similar to Apple Notes

LiveDiamond

Idea

Hi,

I have really been enjoying Apple Notes on iOS and Mac – both it's speed in launching and speed in applying text styles. Can Evernote please consider adding text styles in a similar fashion? Their solution is simple, intuitive, and really fast to apply. For this reason I have been writing parts of a book using Notes. This is something that I have wanted to do in Evernote, but have always switched to other apps because of slow formatting, and slow app launching/response.

Also Paper (by FiftyThree) has also added text styles, and they have a great swiping behaviour for applying/changing that would work great for iOS but maybe not for Mac.

I appreciate Evernote's features, and would like to stay with the cross-platform Evernote, but should Apple add some simple features (like tags), there would be little to keep me. That said, the new clipper with tags in 7.11 is one thing I have wanted ever since Evernote has had a clipper. So that is definitely a plus or Evernote.

Thank you.

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, LiveDiamond said:

I have been writing parts of a book using Notes. This is something that I have wanted to do in Evernote, but have always switched to other apps because of slow formatting, and slow app launching/response.

Sorry, didn't  vote up on this.  I'm concerned about the UI getting cluttered; the app getting bloated; reduced resources for other priorities.  Also, it's not a feature I use :)

For heavy writing, I usually switch to a dedicated word processing app.  As a book writer, can you share the benefits of using apps such as Notes or Evenote?

I encourage everyone who would value this feature to up vote the request.

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Sorry, didn't  vote up on this.  I'm concerned about the UI getting cluttered; the app getting bloated; reduced resources for other priorities.  Also, it's not a feature I use

Adding support for styles doesn't really mean making the UI cluttered, especially if the Evernote app supports custom toolbars.

You need add only one dropdown list to support styles.

There are two types of styles:

1. Predefined styles, like the HTML H1, H2, H3, etc, that are hard-coded, and are really just a shortcut for applying a predefined format.
  2. Changeable Styles, like MS Word has used for decades
    1. These also perform like #1, but much more important is that you can change the style definition, and all text that uses that style is automatically reformatted to use it.
    2. I am amazed how many big Word users never learn how to use Styles.  They just keep on manually formatting text all over the document with the same format.

At a minimum, I'd like to see #1 that includes custom defined styles.  At least this would make repetitive formatting (like section/paragraph headers) more consistent, and much faster to apply.

To be clear, I don't need, nor expect, Evernote to provide the full power of a word processor like MS Word.  However, having a few of the more common, more often used features, would be very, very useful in Evernote.

2 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

Adding support for styles doesn't really mean making the UI cluttered, especially if the Evernote app supports custom toolbars.

To be clear, I don't need, nor expect, Evernote to provide the full power of a word processor like MS Word.  However, having a few of the more common, more often used features, would be very, very useful in Evernote.

My thoughts exactly.

I am not a UI designer. I am also concerned about UI bloat, but that is for Evernote to solve.

But there are simple ways to solve this. When you select text in any iOS app, you are already given the option to change basic text styling (bold, underline, italic). These could be swapped out. In fact a really simple way on the iPhone (where the UI is most congested) would be where the general text editing features fan out to the left, text styles (title, heading, body etc) could fan up, giving you an 'L' shaped text editing pop-up. iPad or Mac could just add another pop-up.

I have been looking at solutions like Ulysses and may switch to this in the next phase. But I had been using Apple Pages, as I can access from Mac, iPad or iPhone, but because of the page formatting, I found it unusable on small devices.

I love Notes' speed, the simple text style increases legibility, and it is available every where – which is great when I need to block out text. I spend a lot of time commuting, often standing up. Simple, legible, fast, synced-everywhere text is wonderful, and essential.

Notes for iOS 9 has been completely re-written. The previous versions were clunky. The new version, whilst simple, is a completely new beast, with the cloud backend to support it. At it's essence, is a simplified version of Evernote – your basic text features, nested folders, attachments, and simple but intuitive sketching. 

Archived