How to bypass Sign In when starting Evernote from desktop icon?

Hi All,

I have just begun to try using Evernote on my home Windows 10 desktop.  Security is not an issue here, but each time I want to launch Evernote I am faced with a Sign In window.  Since my email name and password are both pretty long I feel this is an option that I should be able to by pass.  The question is how to do that?  Any recent links that apply to Ver 5 would be helpful

Thanks in advance.

Divit11

• Level 5*

Hi.  If you File > Exit Evernote AFAIK you'll have to sign in again;  I tend to close it down only rarely on my home machine - it's normally running with the window collapsed or closed.  I do lock the device when I walk away - to avoid random wildlife (and family members) hitting keys they shouldn't...

Thanks for the quick reply gazumped.   Funny thing,  I always close all apps on my PC before powering down each night.  Today after seeing your response I just clicked on my Evernote icon in my task bar and the app came up without requesting login name or password.  I've tried closing Evernote with the File>Exit and also the Red X in the Evernote window.  Each time I power up again the just clicking on the desktop icon opens the app without the need to login,   That's a long winded response but I guess the login problem is resolved after a couple of cycles.  Now to see if there is a way to mark this thread as Solved.

Divit11

• Level 5*

True,  and my bad - I should have said the 'sign out' item on the File menu.  That (I think) will prompt a sign-in when you next open the app,  although I also recall a 'keep me signed in on this machine' box which does exactly what you'd expect if you click it. 

Anyhoo.  If @Divitt11 is happy with the current situation,  that's fine.  We'll revisit again if things go wrong...  ;)

Thanks again for the replies.

So for anyone still following this thread let me offer my take on this business of logging in and out.

On my home desktop PC I will log in with email + PW and when I shut down for the night I will just File > Exit or click the Red X on the UI thus precluding the need to log in again next time.  Security is not much of an issue here.

I also have an older laptop that travels pretty well.  I will try to remember to go to File > Sign out emailaddress@dotcom.  Note this logout does not affect my access via my desktop PC.  Should the portable device leave my possession then the email + PW login feature will provide some protection.

This is a useful feature once one becomes familiar with the two options.

HTH
Divit11

• Level 5*

Note that if your 2nd laptop does go missing you can change your account password (effective if the app is signed out and then tries to reconnect) and block the device from connecting with your account - stopping syncs and any further activity from that point on.  If your database is downloaded to the device (which it will be if the app is installed) there's a good chance someone with reasonable IT skills will still be able to see some of the contents by accessing the file direct.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Divit11 said:

Should the portable device leave my possession then the email + PW login feature will provide some protection.

I hardly ever sign off Evernote, relying on my laptop and iPad password for a level of security.

Archived