Add an attachment to EXISTING Notes in iOS version

I would assume this to be a simple request. I'd like to add an attachment from Dropbox / Box / One Drive / iCloud Drive, etc to an existing note. This option is available in the desktop version but not in the iOS version. There doesn't even appear to be a way to merge multiple notes in the iOS version.

The workaround that I've been using is to create a new note with the attachment and merge them at a later time via the desktop version. Time consuming and not practical for longterm solution.

With most, including myself, looking to leverage my iPad more, this would help to close the functionality gap between the iOS and desktop platforms.

• Level 5*

Hi.  If you're adding new material and you're a Plus or Premium subscriber you could try emailing the new content into Evernote.  Depending on how you have your clipping set up that can be a little ..erratic..so I'd recommend trying it out a few times first,  but it should be possible to append email content to an existing note* as well as creating a new one.

To add some text to an existing note, put a " +" at the end of your subject line and we'll place the body of the email into the most recent note with that title.

• Level 5*
On 2016-02-19 at 09:38, iMarc said:

I'd like to add an attachment from Dropbox / Box / One Drive / iCloud Drive, etc to an existing note. This option is available in the desktop version but not in the iOS version.

This seems to be more to a device limitation.  How would you imagine the UI for this to work.
Answered by @iMarc; Similar to the add photo attachment process
Suggested by @Private: Within Dropbox. when EN is selected for a file, the EN side slide panel open with the choice of selecting a new or exisiting note

>>There doesn't even appear to be a way to merge multiple notes in the iOS version.

I'd like to see this feature too.  I can see it working by having checkboxes to multi-select notes.

You might want to split your requests into two notes in the IOS feedback forum.  They can then be voted on, and get more attention from Evernote.

Edited: A solution to adding files to an existing notes was implemented in this IOS release

From a user experience standpoint, having to leave Evernote to go to email to complete what should be a simple in app task seems rather cumbersome. I would think a developer could simply add the attachment functionality directly in the menu bar of the note. In fact, the small camera icon is already there (add photo attachment from Photos or camera). The ability to add attachments from, Dropbox, Box, One Drive, etc. should be fairly simple. 

• Level 5*

Sorry - I assumed we were talking about a 'new' note that was a continuation of existing content.  If you're looking to attach files from elsewhere..

Mobile devices

• Open the note to which you wish to attach a file
  • Open the attachment menu:
    • iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch: Tap the attach image (picture frame) button
    • Android: Tap the '+' icon
    • Windows Phone: Tap the '...' icon > attach a picture
  • Select the file or type of attachment you wish to add

...https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313688

@gazumpedthis only appears to work for pictures/images saved to the camera roll or to use the camera to snap a photo. Great, but what if I want to attach a PDF, xls, or other file type. This take us back to the original issue. If Evernote could find a way to add functionality / integration with Dropbox, Box, etc. we would be on the fast track to an improved UX. 

To add context as to why this is important, mobile first initiatives are in flight and the trends that I'm seeing indicate that consumers are discarding their laptops / desktops in favor of mobile devices I.e. iPads, Surface devices, etc.

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, DTLow said:

This seems to be more to a device limitation.  How would you imagine the UI for this to work.

Not really.  Lots of other iOS apps can get and send files from the sources mentioned by @iMarc

The UI should be obvious.  Attach a file just like you do an image, but from a different source.

I would love to have this feature as well.

If you use Workflow, I recently created a workaround: https://workflow.is/workflows/1e85108f79f64d90848bcc1a344c02f2

To use this Workflow, go to the note in Evernote to which you want to add a document. Click the Share button, select "Run Workflow", select Public URL. The Workflow will run and you can add the document of your choice. In practice, Pages and .ePub files will not be attached. PDF and DOC files will.

• 1 month later...

Wow cool workflow. I can't believe that works. In my case I can just add any PDF or word document from iCloud Drive which is even better. 

Still I'd like to have a native file picker option. 

Thanks for sharing!

• 2 months later...

Found another iOS workaround:

1. Log into Evernote.com in Safari. A message will appear to use the iOS app because mobile web browsers aren't supported.
  2. Use the share sheet to request the desktop site.
  3. The page will reload showing the desktop version of Evernote.com.
  4. Select the note you want to add files too.
  5. In the note menu bar there is a paper clip icon for adding an attachment. Select it and a new page will open.
  6. Select "Choose File."
  7. The iOS file picker will appear with options for Dropbox, iCloud Drive, etc.
  8. Navigate to and select the file of interest.
  9. Repeat for additional files.
  10. Click "Attach Files."
  11. The files should then be added to the end of the note and viewable as usual on any device.

This works for me. Hope it helps.

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, asnook said:

Found another iOS workaround:

1. Log into Evernote.com in Safari. A message will appear to use the iOS app because mobile web browsers aren't supported.
  2. Use the share sheet to request the desktop site.

Not sure about using the share sheet; I always hold down on the refresh button

IMG_1263.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5*
On February 19, 2016 at 9:38 AM, iMarc said:

I would assume this to be a simple request. I'd like to add an attachment from Dropbox / Box / One Drive / iCloud Drive, etc to an existing note. This option is available in the desktop version but not in the iOS version

This has been implemented in the latest version.  IMG_1341.jpg
When editing a note, there's now a paperclip icon next to the camera icon 

Archived