Clip simplified article in iOS

Go to solution Solved by annah,

The web clipper on mac does a great job of clipping simplified articles.  On iOS, however, evernote clips the entire page (when chosen from the action menu).  is there any way to clip a simplified article in iOS like the web clipper does on Mac?

• Level 5*

Hi.  Web clippers on different devices and in different operating systems aren't (yet) consistent with all features.  That may be coming,  but meantime all you can do is clip what you can and re-clip the same page later if and when possible.

• Ex Employees
  • Solution

Hi! There isn't currently a way to clip a simplified article on iOS using the Evernote clipper. However here's a good workaround, if you use Safari and are Plus or Premium: put the web page in 'Reader mode' (the 3 lines to the left of the URL), and then send it to your Evernote email address through the share menu.

Reader mode will strip all ads and extraneous content just like Simplified Article does, and this format will carry over to your note when you send it to Evernote via email. Note that reader mode is available for most pages, but not all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, I tried the workaround (with Reader Mode) on an Iphone 6 (Safari). It didn't make a difference (same as if Reader Mode wasn't on). Tried on WSJ.com site.

Hope the Simplified Article feature can be added to IOS devices. Cheers

• Ex Employees

Hi @M C - Can you confirm that you sent the article via email using your Evernote email address? If you use the traditional clipper, then it will indeed come through as though Reader Mode wasn't activated. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, i am using an iPhone6 (don't think it has the "traditional clipper'... Also, I didn't 'email' anything to my EN meal address.

Specifically, I was reading a wsj.com page in Reader Mode (ie. with ads removed) and then uploaded the page to EN. But when opening that page in EN, it came back with all the ads. Hope I am clearer. Perhaps I am doing something wrong? Cheers

• 2 years later...

annah’s suggestion above works if you use safari simplified view and then use share to go to mac mail and then email to your special evernote address. Thanks!!

If only there was a special evernote function to fix all the ones that I’ve saved without doing this!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

Another way is:

Having the article open in Safari, choose „reader“ option if available. The next steps will work anyhow, but the selection might be cluttered by ads and page elements not needed.

Go to  „share“

Pick „print“

In the print window, select the pages to print if necessary (especially if not taken from a „reader“ selection), put 2 fingers on the miniature pic, and open them (move them outward, separating them = „unpinch“). This will open the mini-pic as fullscreen view of the website. From iOS 11 onwards, this will create a pdf-file instead of printing.

Pick „share“ again.

Choose „Evernote“ to send the pages to EN. You can modify the title, select tags and the notebook before sending.

This workflow will create a new note with a pretty „clean“ pdf as content.

The only drawback is that in the note you will not have a connection to the page from which the content was taken.

C’mon Evernote, you put out press releases talking about raising your game.  This is a good example of a clear need.  It’s frustrating to have to do work arounds because of platform feature inconsistencies.  Web clipping is how I and others build our personal knowledge bases, but I constantly (every day) have to reclip IOS articles from Windows desktop to work around this problem. 

Focus! 

• 1 month later...

This is the iOS forum - I honestly couldn't care less if it's consistent with Android(or if they entirely abandoned the Android app for that matter). What I do care about is that I can use this feature (and other web clip features) on my Mac, but I can't on iOS, and it's annoying.

Competing apps are doing this, for example Bear, it just seems like low hanging fruit to fix something that annoys paying customers.

There are other features I'd love to see as well, but this would be a start. There are other ways to implement it too. For example, if they had to do it such that it'd move me in to the Evernote app I'd be fine with that (Share>Evernote>Evernote App> yada yada yada > Done> Redirect back to Safari).

Another option would be a really well made bookmarklet. This may be more difficult to do, I don't know, but for example Diigo has an okay one that supports highlighting as well (my bet is the Evernote devs could do better than Diigo has done with it).

I like Evernote (I've been using it since 2008), but the missing features have me looking at competitors.

• 9 months later...
  • Level 5

Maybe this iOS shortcut can help:

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/0d6e466b4b1444549da81ddc6f90b82d

Sometimes it works just fine, sometimes it does not grab all of the page. This is especially true when trying to grab a forum discussion .... but on normal web sites, it clips everything with a lean layout. Some of the pics may be missing, so if you need them, copy and paste them manually.

• Like 1

I find it very surprising that Evernote’s web clipping in iOS is so poor compared to the desktop version, especially given how long this has been an issue and given the ubiquity of iOS users.  If Evernote is going to tout its productivity advantages, I think it ought to start with getting the basics right.  I don’t mean to suggest that Evernote is not a good product, but this is a significant limitation on its usefulness.  

On 1/27/2020 at 2:20 PM, PinkElephant said:

Maybe this iOS shortcut can help:

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/0d6e466b4b1444549da81ddc6f90b82d

Sometimes it works just fine, sometimes it does not grab all of the page. This is especially true when trying to grab a forum discussion .... but on normal web sites, it clips everything with a lean layout. Some of the pics may be missing, so if you need them, copy and paste them manually.

I am using it too and I add the link of the article. Another workaround I found to be working well is to send the article to pocket first and then send it to Evernote. It requires an extra step but it works.

Web clipper was maybe the first reason we fell in love with Evernote. It deserves more attention and I hope they will address it with the new versions.

• Like 1