Shortcut for Most Recent Note

krisdestruction

Idea

Hi,

I currently have my notes sorted by creation date. It'd be great if there was a quick method to access my most recent note. I have a few ideas:

1. Double clicking "Notes" on the sidebar. Single click = access, double click = most recent note.
  2. Keyboard navigation: Cmd + up/down. Up for latest, down for oldest. This should already be built-in as part of navigation, but I don't think it is. Also, normal up/down doesn't seem to work if I don't click the note list pane. Perhaps this is another bug.

15 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, krisdestruction said:

I currently have my notes sorted by creation date. It'd be great if there was a quick method to access my most recent note. I have a few ideas

I have my notes sorted by modification date - it gives me quick access to my recent notes

I also use the top list view so I quickly change the sort sequence.

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

I have my notes sorted by modification date - it gives me quick access to my recent notes

I also use the top list view so I quickly change the sort sequence.

I believe I have it set to side list view. Regardless of the sort method, I just meant the top ten based on your sorry. Are you able to quickly access the top item with your view?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, krisdestruction said:

It'd be great if there was a quick method to access my most recent note

You can view "Recent Notes" by going to View > Sidebar Options and check Recent Notes.

"Recent Notes" should then appear in the Sidebar, near the top.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, krisdestruction said:

I believe I have it set to side list view. Regardless of the sort method, I just meant the top ten based on your sorry. Are you able to quickly access the top item with your view?

The screenshot shows my toplist view - I can resize it to show less files

56c3babba3763_ScreenShot2016-02-16at4.10

1 hour ago, JMichaelTX said:

You can view "Recent Notes" by going to View > Sidebar Options and check Recent Notes.

"Recent Notes" should then appear in the Sidebar, near the top.

I know that, but that's another thing to view which clutters the sidebar IMO. I don't want to view it regularly and have disabled it accordingly. I just need a quick way go to the top. If you have a note selected, a common navigation in text editors is to hit ctrl/cmd+up to get to the first line and down for vice versa. I was looking for an equivalent in evernote.

9 minutes ago, DTLow said:

The screenshot shows my toplist view - I can resize it to show less files

Not the question I asked, but that's alright. Even with your view, you need to scroll to the top to see the top right? That's hard when you have a few thousands of notes, at one a few thousand down, and need to access the first one. I'm looking for a keyboard way to achieve this.

• Level 5*
52 minutes ago, krisdestruction said:

Even with your view, you need to scroll to the top to see the top right?

You can click on the top Notes bar to flip to the top

• Level 5*

>>You can click on the top Notes bar to flip to the top
>>
Not sure what that is.

In the image I sent above of the toplisting notes, the top bar says 52 Notes found.  You can click on that to get to the top. 

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, krisdestruction said:

As I mentioned, I have hundreds/thousands of notes between the current edited note and the most recent one at the top

That would be dependent on the sort sequence - in modified date sequence, the two notes should be next to each other (if they were both edited)

• Level 5*

2 minutes ago, krisdestruction said:

Ok but sorting shouldn't matter given the problem. In your sort sequence, let's say you haven't modified the item in a very long time. You're trying to compare it to one you just edited. As a result, you will still have to scroll to the top to access the most recently edited one.

Good point.  The only other idea I have is to pin the note temporarily in the shortcuts area.

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

Good point.  The only other idea I have is to pin the note temporarily in the shortcuts area.

Yeah unfortunately :( I mean those are workarounds along with the "Recent Notes" idea, but it'd be nice if Evernote implemented the proper navigation shortcuts, hence the feature request.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, krisdestruction said:

I know that, but that's another thing to view which clutters the sidebar IMO. I don't want to view it regularly and have disabled it accordingly. I just need a quick way go to the top. If you have a note selected, a common navigation in text editors is to hit ctrl/cmd+up to get to the first line and down for vice versa. I was looking for an equivalent in evernote

Until/IF Evernote provides the feature you want, here are some note navigation tools available now:

1. If the focus is the Note List:
    (Press CMD+|  (vertical bar) to set focus to Note List)
    1. OPT+▲    Go To Top of list
    2. OPT+▼    Go to bottom of list
  2. Forward (>) and Back (<) navigation arrows on main toolbar
  3. Recent Note list in Sidebar
    (press OPT+CMD+S  to  Show/hide Sidebar)
  4. Create shortcut to Note by dragging Note to Shortcut List in Sidebar
  5. Add Shortcut keys using Mac Preferences > Keyboard for:
    1. Sort by Date Created
    2. Sort by Date Updated
  6. Click on Column Headers in Left Side List and Top List to sort by that column

This may not be perfect, or exactly what you want, but it provides decent navigation.

Having said all that, I agree having a "Recent Notes" list in the File Menu that works like "Recent Files" in most apps would be very helpful, especially if it had a shortcut key like CMD+OPT+R to display the list.

Archived