(Archived) New: Set notebook & tags when emailing notes to Evernote

We've made a change to our email gateway so that you can now specify the Notebook and Tags that you want on a note that you email into your account.

To do this, you should first find your Evernote "incoming email address" on the Settings page of your account on the Web:

post-8171-131906065954_thumb.png

Then, if you send an email to that address, it will become a note within your account.

By default, these emails will become notes in your account's "default" notebook.

If you put a '@' symbol into the Subject of the email followed by the exact name of one of your existing Notebooks, we will place the new note into that notebook. (We'll also remove that part of the Subject when we create the note's Title.)

If you put a '#' symbol in the Subject, followed by the exact name of one of your existing Tags, we will assign that Tag to your note in the same way. You can use the '#' symbol multiple times to assign multiple tags:

post-8171-131906065951_thumb.png

If you use the '@' or '#' symbol followed by a notebook or tag name that does not match the name of a notebook or tag in your account, then we'll leave this text in the Title and ignore it.

post-8171-131906065955_thumb.png

However, it doesn't work if the the notebook name has a "#" or "@" it it, correct?

Correct. If you want to use this feature frequently, you may want to rename your notebook/tag to accomodate this.

jbenson2 - Thanks!

Correction: You can use this with tags that contain the '@' symbol, but you can't use it for Notebooks that contain the '#' symbol.

So if you put this on the Subject line: Something important @My Inbox #Foo@Bar #Baz

This will try to create a note in "My Inbox" with tags "Foo@Bar" and "Baz"

Is a title now required when emailing in to evernote? I noticed a couple of weeks ago that I couldn't SMS-to-email-to-Evernote. After playing around a bit it seemed I needed to add a title, which is a bit of a pain in the SMS format: (title) body

It was nice beforehand to fire off a quick short-term note without worrying about formatting requirements...

When we receive an email message, we have always converted the "Subject:" of the email message into the Title of the new note. If we receive an email with no Subject, I think we use some sort of default "untitled" label. This behavior hasn't changed, so anything that worked before should continue to work.

This was just a little addition, that if you add a little extra onto the Subject, it would be used to file the note correctly.

I've been trying to use this feature but I can't seem to get it to work either from a exchange email account or from gmail. The notes arrive ok but in the default Notebook with the "@...." in the title. The same goes for tags - the "#..." doesn't seem to get processed. I've been careful to use the correct names and capitalisations.

Is this a paid-account-only feature?

thanks

You do have to make sure that the notebook you want to send it to is synchronized (i.e., not a local notebook). And that the notebook name and tag name already exist in your system. Plus, if you have @ or # in your notebook or tag name, you can run into trouble, e.g., I can't mail into my @Inbox, because @ is already in the name.

But I don't think it's a premium only feature.

Yes, if you put:

@Cooking about food

on the subject line, we can't tell where the "notebook name" ends and the "title" begins.

If you put:

about food @Cooking

Then we can tell that you want to use the notebook named "Cooking"

• 2 months later...

Hello,

first, thanks for this awseome new feature.

I have a question about capitalisation. My notebooks names start with a capital letter (just because I find it prettier that way).

Therefore, when I send an email into evernote from my iphone I always have to hit the CAPS key in order to have my note sent into the right notebook.

wouldn't it be easier if capitalisation wasn't recognised (or did you made it on purpose)

Thank you for your answer (and excuse my poor english writing).

My notebooks names start with a capital letter (just because I find it prettier that way).

Therefore, when I send an email into evernote from my iphone I always have to hit the CAPS key in order to have my note sent into the right notebook.

wouldn't it be easier if capitalisation wasn't recognised (or did you made it on purpose)

It already works this way. Tag & notebook names are not case sensitive.

Are you sure that you already have a tag named "foo" in your account, with exactly that capitalization?

If the tag doesn't already exist, Evernote won't create it. (This is to avoid having tags like "1" appearing in your account every time you forward an email that says "you're #1")

• Level 5*
If the tag doesn't already exist, Evernote won't create it. (This is to avoid having tags like "1" appearing in your account every time you forward an email that says "you're #1")

Ah, I wondered why that was.

~Jeff

My notebooks names start with a capital letter (just because I find it prettier that way).

It already works this way. Tag & notebook names are not case sensitive.

thanks BurgersNFries for your answer, sorry for that, you're right. When I tried it the first time it didn't work, I guess I must have done something else wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

First of all Evernote is fantastic and any new feature just adds to the awesomeness of this product!

I've tried to use this feature with some success but still not fully functioning. For example:

If I already have a "To Do" Notebook and have the existing tags "Groceries" and "Saturday", if I send:

Subject: Shopping List @To Do #Groceries #Saturday

My grocery list test

Patrick

I get the note created within the notebook "To Do" with the tag Groceries but not Saturday. The title of the note is now "Shopping List #Saturday"

Am I doing this wrong?

Thank you in advance.

Patrick

Satisfied Premium Evernote user!

I believe that I've uncovered why my email subject line was not properly getting parsed. The space within the Notebook name probably threw off the delimiting of tokens. I tried using a Notebook called "ToDo" and everything worked as expected.

This might not be an issue, but should be listed as an invalid character for the Notebook name. Unless I missed that in the documentation.

Love the podcasts, keep it up.

Evernote rocks!

Patrick

It should support spaces if the name actually contains a space, but otherwise the name must match exactly with an existing notebook/tag name. I.e. the spelling and punctuation must be identical.

It seems to not work if the notebook name begins with an @ character. Fine with others I've tested, but not with that one.

I have a notebook named @Review and I've tried putting @Review and @@Review at the end of the subject line with the same result - it ends up in my default notebook with whichever I put there still in the title.

Archived