Search the Trash

danielg_dk

Idea

12 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

This has been discussed here 

A workaround
- As you noticed - notes in the trash are not included in the search
- Don't treat the trash as a place to store stuff - its meant for stuff to be discarded
- If you have stuff you might value in the trash - move it out of the trash
  For example, create a notebook - Pending Trash

I have set up the staging trash notebook, just need to learn to use it...

However, I noticed today that if you view in list mode (not snippets etc.) then you have columns including from what notebook the note was deleted.  You can sort on that.  Also tags can be sorted in a column.  There are many other columns on which to sort.  In general I expect this makes it easy to find what you deleted.

FYI, I started using the staging trash, but then realized there is a pretty big issue doing so.

If I move something to the staging notebook, I lose all trail of where it came from.

In other words, in the trash I can see what notebook the item was deleted from, and I can restore it to that notebook.  In staging, that information and capability is lost.  I have gone back to just the regular trash as I think the tools there are excellent once I looked into it.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, eafpres said:

If I move something to the staging notebook, I lose all trail of where it came from.

Well it was an idea.  
Did I also mention a tag called  Trash

@DTLow--I'm happy with trash as is, so I won't work on that any more, but it is still in my todos to test out tags instead of stacks etc.  Just haven't found the time.  I'm pretty happy with my search at this point; the more diligent I am with tags, the better I can search :).

The trash notebook already is a staging post - it has the excellent 'restore' feature which allows us to reinstate a note to its original notebook if we should need it again.

I have learned through hard experience that premature use of 'permanent deletion' can be disastrous.  For that reason, I have a rule whereby I never delete a note unless I haven't used it for at least 6 months.  I really would appreciate the ability to pull out a subset of notes that haven't been updated for 6 months so I can verify before I permanently delete them.  OK, there are workarounds but why should we need to use them?  At a technical level it would take a very small amount of programming time to implement a trash-specific search feature and it would make a HUGE difference to the way we work.

Please, spend a little time including the code for a trash - specific search feature!

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, KenF said:

Such a classic anti-user response. As if nobody ever deleted a note by mistake, and then had to dig through the trash manually to find it. 

Depends on how full the trash is when one has to dig I suppose.

• Level 5*
58 minutes ago, KenF said:

Such a classic anti-user response.

Not sure which response was "anti-user".

• There's a feature request posted; you're welcome to indicate your support using the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion.
  • There's suggestions to help with the "dig".

"If you have stuff you might value in the trash -- move it out of the trash."  Of course I would. If I could find it.

I've up-voted the issue. 

Archived