deleting search string often leads to loss of note content

I keep having a problem where using backspace/delete in the global search field to remove search tags, notebooks, etc. from the field changes the focus of the text entry cursor (don't know what to call the blinking vertical line lol) to the body of the note and happens so quickly that I delete contents of the note. Sometimes undo doesn't work after this occurs. This happens so frequently that I've resorted to using the x button in the field to avoid this problem, but that removes all search criteria. 

Has anyone else had this happen? I often see that removing a search term removes the current note from view and then drops the cursor into the next available note that matches the search criteria at that time. Why doesn't the cursor remain in the search field?

• Level 5*
59 minutes ago, Tcellguy said:

keep having a problem where using backspace/delete in the global search field to remove search tags, notebooks, etc. from the field changes the focus of the text entry cursor (don't know what to call the blinking vertical line lol) to the body of the note and happens so quickly that I delete contents of the note

What versions of OS and Evernote are you running?  Sounds like you may need to update.

As of EN Mac 6.4 (and maybe earlier), the Note delete key has been changed to CMD + DELETE.

If you want to clear the Search, you may also find it more convenient to use CMD + R.

Thanks or the CMD+R option that's faster than clicking the x. Sometimes I want to keep parts of the search string (like tags), tough.

I'm on the most recent update (6.4). It doesn't seem to be a CMD + delete to remove a note issue (although that will sometimes delete the note as a result of the cursor movement). 

Often I have a search string like [Notebook][Tag1] "search item" and I want to remove "search item". When I backspace or option + backspace the "search item" is removed and the cursor now drops out of the search box and into the last modified line of text in the next note that meets the updated search criteria. If I'm not careful and keep hitting delete it now deletes the first line of the note in question. And for some reason undo does not always fix this and I have to go into file history. 

I tried to make a gif showing the behavior, but I can't seem to reproduce it under my test conditions reproducibly (happened a few times and then not others). 

I'll keep looking of the specific conditions that reproduce this and try to make a gif to demonstrate it if I can. 

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Tcellguy said:

When I backspace or option + backspace the "search item" is removed and the cursor now drops out of the search box and into the last modified line of text in the next note that meets the updated search criteria.

I cannot reproduce this behavior.  When the cursor is in the Search box, I can press DELETE (Mac Backspace key) repeatedly, even after all text has been deleted, and the focus stays in the Search box.  Even when I held down the DELETE key, focus remained in the Search box.

I was able to reproduce it in one setting. Apparently you have to have clicked in the field of the note a some point and then move to the search field. Then if you clear the search term, in at least one case, it drops the cursor back into the note. I made a short video to demonstrate the behavior. 

It seems that the critical issue is that the cursor has to be blinking in the body of the note while deleting text from the search box as staring on a new note in which I have not yet clicked doesn't appear to cause the shift. 

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Tcellguy said:

I was able to reproduce it in one setting. Apparently you have to have clicked in the field of the note a some point and then move to the search field. Then if you clear the search term, in at least one case, it drops the cursor back into the note. I made a short video to demonstrate the behavior. 

Sorry, I still cannot reproduce this.

I watched your video twice, and tried a number of different tests, including clicking in the note first, then Search.

Are you running El Capitan or Yosemite?  I'm on Yosemite (10.10.5).

I'm on El Capitan on my Macbook, but my work iMac is on Yosemite and both seem to have the issue. I can't reproduce it on all of my notes either. I'll just have to be more careful knowing that it happens some times. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived