New Evernote for Windows 5.9.7 Beta

Hey everyone! My name is Stéphane and I am the new product manager for Evernote Windows. Justin is still around and will spend more time on the Android side of things.

Before the release notes, I want to take a minute to provide a brief update. 

The Windows application has many of our most active and engaged customers; people like yourselves, that love and rely on the product, and sometimes even know its intricacies and workarounds better than we do! As such, we deeply value your feedback, ideas, and opinions. This forum is the place where we will listen, and gather ideas to shape our roadmap. 

We have been quiet in the last couple of months, and our team has been hard at work to make fundamental improvements to the core experience. Rest assured that we are committed to make this product the best it can be. Bigger changes are coming and we can't wait to show you more than this rough sneak peek.

For now, we have a beta containing many fixes and under-the-hood reliability improvements. We’d greatly appreciate if you can try it out and help us catch issues before we roll this out. Then, stay tuned in the coming weeks for a private beta of what we've been up to!

Our deepest thanks,

- the Windows team

---

A new beta version of Evernote for Windows is available. You can download it here
**Edit: the DLL error message on upgrade from 5.9.6 has been resolved in the updated download link. **

Improvements
  • Better handling of CJK languages in search
  • Search now returns more consistent search results, across Evernote applications
  • Fixed multiple sync and performance issues
  • Notebook selector displays much faster to quickly jump between notebooks

Fixed:
  • Crash when viewing specific PDFs within notes
  • Bug that caused a sync error icon to show unexpectedly
  • Bug when moving a pasted image within a note made it broken
  • Level 5*

OK - nice to see,  but update just failed with error;  Evernote can't start because of missing fp....dll file.  Now re-downloading and reinstalling / restarting etc etc so I can get my Evernote back.  Not a good impression....

Edit: OK re-downloaded the update and reinstalled and everything seems to be working.  My Evernote window came back,  with the warning that my database is being re-indexed but I can continue to work while that continues.  I also seem to have a new commercial nag for EN Business.. would I like to know more?  Gee thanks guys,  I was so wondering what I could do with my free time now I fixed your update...

:angry:

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Stephane Lo said:

Hey everyone! My name is Stéphane and I am the new product manager for Evernote Windows.

Welcome Stephane!  We look forward to working with you.  I really appreciate your participation in these forums.

As such, we deeply value your feedback, ideas, and opinions. This forum is the place where we will listen, and gather ideas to shape our roadmap.

That is really good to hear.  It hasn't always been the case.  Thanks for giving our feedback and requests serious consideration.

Rest assured that we are committed to make this product the best it can be. Bigger changes are coming and we can't wait to show you more than this rough sneak peek.

It is really good to know that you are focused on product improvement.

Maybe I missed it, but nothing really new jumps out at me in your screenshot.  Care to elaborate and/or provide a short video?
BTW, please make your screenshots at a higher resolution.  This one is blurry.

Fixed multiple sync and performance issues

Could you please provide more details on the sync issues you fixed?  I see many sync issues reported, and it would be nice to advise users which ones have been fixed.

For now, we have a beta containing many fixes and under-the-hood reliability improvements

That is my favorite kind of update.  I love bug fixes!

• Level 5*

Welcome, @Stéphane Lo! I got the missing dll error message. Reinstalled it (without downloading it). There was a delay to opening, and then I got a message saying that the database is being reindexed in the background. After the initial delay, this build seems to run faster than previously (fewer/no hangs!). However, for the release to the world, it might be good to have some kind of indication of the progress with the reindexing. I know from past experience that it can take a while with 15000 notes. I am going to need to shut my computer down shortly, but I do know how to do the reindexing when I have time. Look forward to more positive experiences with Evernote!

Added:

The rebuilding is taking a long time, even though I left my computer running all night - it is currently only about a third of the way through. Definitely need an indicator of what is going on with the reindexing!

Wow! Version 6 - Color tags and color marks in the snipplet view - absolutly great!!!

Layout of the code blocks are a little bit, hm, "ugly" - gray and blue and so on ... And please: start to give us headlines in the note, paragraphs and so on :-)

• Level 5*

@Stephane Lo

So I put the beta on my backup laptop, same account without any local notebooks.  EN died during the sync, I added my email and clicked the send report option.  I have an activity log if you want it, let me know where to send it.  I tried Ctrl-Help - Optimize data base to see if I could restart the index and that died as well.  Not to be disrespectful, but is this beta ready for beta users?  I expect some potholes, but....

Bad thing is, now search is not working on that test machine.  If I copy a word from a note title and paste it into the search bar there are no results.  Not good.

EDIT:  Executed a Fix All Notes and search is working again.

2nd EDIT:  Search was working, but not finding all results.  Executed a Recreate Full Text Search and so far EN has crashed 3 times in the process.  One more time and I am removing the DB and refreshing from server.  Glad I didn't do this on my main machine.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  I found a bug.  Attempted to add a 60MB file to my premium account and got this "25MB limit" pop-up.  The 'Learn More' button goes to Which Evernote product is right for me? - which suggests that the system thinks I have a basic account,  not a premium one. (Although why not just say 'your attachment exceeds the note size limit - please attach smaller files or upgrade your account'?)  Unless I missed it I can't see anything else about maximum upload sizes,  and my note size limit should be 200MB,  not 25MB.

So:  I think you're not picking up the account type correctly,  and the 'help' message doesn't.  I'll file a bug report and add the #number to this post in a bit.

Bug reported - #1431845

Error.jpg

• Evernote Expert

I love the new attitude at Evernote. The New CEO has gotten rid of the serious dead weight and is focussing on the core features. Very Good. 

Rather than make releases every week, this is good. Have Good solid releases once a couple of months or so, with bugs ironed out and more functional feature updates. 

Good. Keep it up. !!! 

And by the way, how many people saw the irony, the image uploaded of the Future EN Releases ( Wow.. Am eager to get them :) ) was created using Skitch.. :rolleyes: 

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Panzerkampfwagen said:

Have Good solid releases once a couple of months or so, with bugs ironed out and more functional feature updates. 

Would be nice if the beta was a little more robust as well....  ;)

• Level 5*

OK - red face time.  Was just trying to re-run my big file error to generate an activity log when I realised I was creating a new note in a shared-in notebook from a basic account I created for another project.  I'd shared that notebook with my main account because I'm too lazy to switch accounts every time I need to edit a note there.  However the 25MB limit does apply to new notes created in that account.  I added my large file to a note in a different (premium account) notebook without any problems.  So: that storm in a teacup was just plain ol' user error and not a bug after all.  Apologies to all concerned.  I'll turn in my Guru badge on the way out...  :wub:

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, gazumped said:

So: that storm in a teacup was just plain ol' user error and not a bug after all.  Apologies to all concerned.

No problem.  We all make mistakes.  Thanks for catching and correcting yours so quickly.

On 2/6/2016 at 3:43 PM, csihilling said:

@Stephane Lo

So I put the beta on my backup laptop, same account without any local notebooks.  EN died during the sync, I added my email and clicked the send report option.  I have an activity log if you want it, let me know where to send it.  I tried Ctrl-Help - Optimize data base to see if I could restart the index and that died as well.  Not to be disrespectful, but is this beta ready for beta users?  I expect some potholes, but....

Bad thing is, now search is not working on that test machine.  If I copy a word from a note title and paste it into the search bar there are no results.  Not good.

EDIT:  Executed a Fix All Notes and search is working again.

2nd EDIT:  Search was working, but not finding all results.  Executed a Recreate Full Text Search and so far EN has crashed 3 times in the process.  One more time and I am removing the DB and refreshing from server.  Glad I didn't do this on my main machine.

The same here. Saved searches initiated from the search box do not work. Regular searches are sporadic in their results. I tried all the fixes you mentioned, even rebuilding database with the  same result. So, uninstalled beta and reinstalled Evernote 9.6 with the same result. Tried rebuilding database on a regular version with no change to the search box behaviour. Evernote beta completely messed up my Evernote program. However, when I tried to add saved searches from search box to the Shortcuts everything works.   

Is there a plan to enable to "old" auto title method whereby I could delete the title and click out of the title box and the first line of text would become the title?
I've been a paying customer since 2008 and the auto title function is something I REALLY liked.
Recently, my titles frequently get erased while I'm typing them.

I've recommended Evernote to hundreds of people, and this is the first time I've really been frustrated using it.

Stephane, 

sorry for the repetition, if you already are aware of it, but I think the product manager for Evernote for Windows should be aware of a quite popular user request:

Desktop Search 

I recall times when Evernote had this feature, and it was promised to us generations of versions ago.

Any news on this?

Cheers, EvB.

• Level 5*

Per previous post ended up refreshing data base from the server and now the beta search seems to work.  No clue as to how/why it got hosed in the first place.

On 2/6/2016 at 6:31 PM, Stephane Lo said:

Search now returns more consistent search results, across Evernote applications

Once all was back to normal I thought I would try a search on the web, my main machine (EN 5.9.6), my test machine (this beta), and my iPhone.  Searched for mark and got the following results.  I would expect web and phone to match since they are from the same source, I think.  Funny that both desktop machines have more hits.  Just an FYI with real world data.

Web
Main
Backup
Phone
mark
12 hours ago, netstepinc said:

Is there a plan to enable to "old" auto title method whereby I could delete the title and click out of the title box and the first line of text would become the title?
I've been a paying customer since 2008 and the auto title function is something I REALLY liked.
Recently, my titles frequently get erased while I'm typing them.

I've recommended Evernote to hundreds of people, and this is the first time I've really been frustrated using it.

Same problem here with 5.9.6 version...

5 mins after with 5.9.7 beta:

- When searching with a word inside "" the results are not displaying the exact match, thus, i search "PER" (acronym Price earnings ratio) and i get many results like "pero" "perdona"...etc. Before i was getting the exact match (like you do in google).

@FactMan
For search reindexing.  It is ok to close\exit evernote.  It can resume from where it left off.   For my testing, it tooks ~50% of my computer time. But it maybe depend on different PC/OS.  However, when you works on something else in evernote app, the redexing should pause in the background. 
You can see redexing in the log, like:
15:57:09 [11092] Reindexing 2675 items
16:01:19 [11092] Reindexing progress: 0% done
16:02:23 [11092] Reindexing progress: 17% done
16:02:53 [11092] Reindexing progress: 37% done
16:03:23 [11092] Reindexing progress: 52% done
16:03:53 [11092] Reindexing progress: 65% done
16:04:46 [11092] Reindexing progress: 73% done
16:05:16 [11092] Reindexing progress: 82% done
16:05:46 [11092] Reindexing progress: 91% done
16:06:16 [11092] Reindexing progress: 99% done
16:06:19 [11092] Finished reindexing 2675 items

@csihilling
The total count should be the same, unless there are local notebooks. Log will say re-indexing is finished 
check the log to see if re-indexing is finished and if he has local notebooks and linked notebooks. Also, what's the total note count on all those platforms, is it the same everywhere?  You can PM me and we can work out why there is a difference.
(FYI, we now search attachment filename) 

@pepr

How about search for "PER "? a empty space after PER.  

• Level 5*

@Ah_Fan

The count is not the same based upon a search of only synced notebooks.  I ended up refreshing the DB on the backup machine.  Note count is the same on all platforms. 

I was able to ID one of the notes that was included in the results in the EN beta but not in EN current.  It is an image only note, without mark appearing anywhere in the image.  So perhaps OCRing of the image is creating mark from something in it, but I thought that was a server function?  Anyway, not a confidential note by any stretch, so if you want a copy of it let me know. 

Still doesn't explain why EN current search count doesn't match EN web count...  :(

Hi @Ah_Fan 

Well, i'm lost, in my house with 5.9.6 isnt working the "PER" search so im wondering if someday was working this way or this exact match is only for many words (not only one??). In 5.9.6 the space after PER is not working, tomorrow will see in 5.9.7 in the office.

Best regards,

Well, I waited with the update until today. The installation still failed the first time. The second time it worked, but the application crashed afterwards. Tried to optimize the database, which took ages and crashed again. After a long time of syncing, it seems to work, but for how long? I'm feeling more and more insecure with my valuable (to me) data. Can't see any improvement, either, compared to the last version.

3 hours ago, JeffreyC said:

Did "Delete Note" from the Note menu disappear in this pre-release?  (i.e., when you have a note open in its own window.) 

My "habit" keeps reaching for it, but, it's not there.

i wanted to write the same. When i'm deleting notes in Windows i type [alt]+[n]+[l]  without touching the mouse, but after the update... hm

@gazumped thanks for pointing out the multiselect!! Thats nice!

On 2/6/2016 at 7:01 AM, Stephane Lo said:

A new beta version of Evernote for Windows is available. You can download it here

**Edit: the DLL error message on upgrade from 5.9.6 has been resolved in the updated download link. **

Hi Stephane, Would this Windows upgrade (fixed for missing fpdfemb.dll file) need me to uninstall/reinstall the faulty upgrade that keeps crashing at startup? If yes, would I miss any of my settings and customizations done? Either way, can just copying the missing DLL file into my "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote" directory fix it? If yes, can you please just post the missing DLL here to download?

I discovered an interesting behavior of the search box in the beta version of Evernote. This behavior started with the beta version. The saved searches stop working when initiated from the search box if it has "Search Current Context" selected instead of "Search All Notes" when I am not in a place the saved search refers to. Is it a new behavior or a bug? In any case, it was better before when I had the former option selected which let me initiate saved search regardless of a place in Evernote I am currently at. When I do not remember where a particular note is I can select "Notes" or "Notebooks" while still keeping "Search Current Context" option on so I can limit my search to specific context if the location of a note is known to me. It also let me not crowd my search results. Just my two cents.

Edit: Just tried searching with "Search Current Context" option enabled and being in a place search refers to (e.g. searching for audiobooks by Brandon Sanderson and having selected a notebook stack "Sci-Fi and Fantasy Audiobooks") and still not getting any result when saved search is invoked from the search box  with above option selected. 

9 hours ago, sangram.takmoge said:

Hi Stephane, Would this Windows upgrade (fixed for missing fpdfemb.dll file) need me to uninstall/reinstall the faulty upgrade that keeps crashing at startup? If yes, would I miss any of my settings and customizations done? Either way, can just copying the missing DLL file into my "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote" directory fix it? If yes, can you please just post the missing DLL here to download?

Hello, 

Here is the DLL I grabbed from the folder  C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote 

On Mediafire http://www.mediafire.com/download/a574ic4evy5qe9w/fpdfemb.dll

For all,
I want to first apologize for the installation issue.  I found that the tester was picking up the wrong beta build to test the installation.  
For the fpdemb.dll, both market and beta 1 are the same dll.  The issue is due to the version number of the dlls. (beta 1 version is somehow labelled "older" than the one from the market). And the installation rejects to install an old version of dll on top of a newer dll.
Therefore, in order to fix the issue, we update the new beta dll version to the same version as market's.

@sangram.takmoge
Can you PM me your log and crash.dmp like in Users\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Crashes?  I will follow up with our dev to have your issue fix asap.

@JeffreyC
yes. We remove one of the "delete" functions since it exists in 2 different locations. So, we decide to keep delete in Edit\delete.  

@V
How about just click delete key?

For those that I have not replied with an answer/solution, it is logged in our bug system and investigating..

@Ah_Fan - Edit / Delete, does not delete the whole note.

I've never gotten Edit / Delete to really do anything...

But, I did just try highlighting text, and, sure enough, Edit / Delete did delete the text.

What I and I think others want back is to delete the entire note.

Please, please, bring back Note / Delete?    :)

@gazumped - Edit / Delete does not delete the entire note (like you are doing the list view).

@Ah_Fan - I just found this - when you right click in the List view, the command is labeled Delete Note.  So, on the Note's Note menu, could you not make it say the same thing - Delete Note?  That would make things more clear / get rid of "two deletes."  

29 minutes ago, Ah_Fan said:

@sangram.takmoge

Can you PM me your log and crash.dmp like in Users\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Crashes?  I will follow up with our dev to have your issue fix asap.

Hi Ah_Fan!

Thanks. However, I'll need more details to know where to get those files.

I do not have a Crashes folder under "C:\Users\My_User\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\"

Also, Logs folder in there is empty.

@fanfan54

Thanks for posting the file for me!

For now, I am going to wait for a solution from Evernote team.

• Level 5*
58 minutes ago, Ah_Fan said:

For all,
I want to first apologize for the installation issue.  I found that the tester was picking up the wrong beta build to test the installation.  
For the fpdemb.dll, both market and beta 1 are the same dll.  The issue is due to the version number of the dlls. (beta 1 version is somehow labelled "older" than the one from the market). And the installation rejects to install an old version of dll on top of a newer dll.
Therefore, in order to fix the issue, we update the new beta dll version to the same version as market's.

@sangram.takmoge

@JeffreyC
yes. We remove one of the "delete" functions since it exists in 2 different locations. So, we decide to keep delete in Edit\delete.  

@V
How about just click delete key?

For those that I have not replied with an answer/solution, it is logged in our bug system and investigating..

So where is the fix for the DLL issue? I just installed the update and it won't start. 

---------------------------
Evernote.exe - System Error
The program can't start because fpdfemb.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem. 
OK   

37 minutes ago, csihilling said:

@JeffreyC,

If you are of a mind to it you can customize the toolbar when you have the note open in its own window to add the delete function.  Save a click.  :)

ScreenClip.png.edad182d479af0ba64dba66e6

Well, I'll be a Monkey's Uncle.  I didn't realize you could do that.

Thanks @csihilling, that helps out.  Nice to have Delete Note back in some form.  Though, still would be nice to have it back on the Note menu also for people like me and @V with "old habits.  

• Level 5
On 2/6/2016 at 8:31 PM, Stephane Lo said:

Bigger changes are coming and we can't wait to show you more than this rough sneak peek.

More faded green. Noooo....!

Please have some consideration for the users who don't have eagle-eye vision like the young whipper-snappers at Evernote. 

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

More faded green. Noooo....!

Please have some consideration for the users who don't have eagle-eye vision like the young whipper-snappers at Evernote. 

I for one am glad they are getting rid of the current 50 shades of gray theme going on. 

• Level 5*
On 2/6/2016 at 5:31 PM, Stephane Lo said:
The Windows application has many of our most active and engaged customers; people like yourselves, that love and rely on the product, and sometimes even know its intricacies and workarounds better than we do! As such, we deeply value your feedback, ideas, and opinions. This forum is the place where we will listen, and gather ideas to shape our roadmap. 

We have been quiet in the last couple of months, and our team has been hard at work to make fundamental improvements to the core experience. Rest assured that we are committed to make this product the best it can be. Bigger changes are coming and we can't wait to show you more than this rough sneak peek.

For now, we have a beta containing many fixes and under-the-hood reliability improvements. We’d greatly appreciate if you can try it out and help us catch issues before we roll this out. Then, stay tuned in the coming weeks for a private beta of what we've been up to!

I hope this includes a MAJOR overhaul of the database. My Macbook 2015 model (the one with the Core M processor) will run circles around much MUCH faster Intel processors on a Windows machine I believe because on OS X, the Evernote database is spread out among thousands of files, essentially a few files per note (note body, attachments, etc) rather than being in one big file like on Windows. So on the Mac, only files that need to be modified are touched, whereas on Windows, it spends an inordinate amount of time updating the huge .exb file (7.5GB here with 15,000+ notes) while the HD or SSD thrashes the temporary .journal file.

This thread is but one example of others with the same issue.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

50 shades of grey - that's a good one! The faded green and the greys that the Evernote youngsters love to use just drive me nuts.

Good old solid Black is my favorite color. 

For a good color scheme and useful icons that help you get things done, they only need to install a copy of Evernote 4.6.x. THat was the last good looking version for WIndows.

On 11.2.2016 at 7:44 PM, JeffreyC said:

Well, I'll be a Monkey's Uncle.  I didn't realize you could do that.

Thanks @csihilling, that helps out.  Nice to have Delete Note back in some form.  Though, still would be nice to have it back on the Note menu also for people like me and @V with "old habits.  

Thank you for pointing that out. That will do it temporarily (BUT you have to move the hand from the keyboar (if you dont have a trackpoint))
It is like @JeffreyC said: the "edit > delete" function just deletes text, not the note. Same for the [del]-Key: if you have the note focused (note the notelist) the "del" key just deletes text. If you move your mouse and klick a note in the list view - the note will be deleted. But i don't realy think that anyone would use the "menu > edit > delete" entry to delete text (instead of [del] or [backspase]-key :D) - maybe you could change the function of the entry. So the shortcut will be [alt]+[ b]+[l] (not that ergonomic  like [alt]+[n] but ok)

Besides that, i recognized one little thing: i am a premium Member, not business. When i open a note (separate view/new windows) and klick on "help" there is an entry "to the admin console", that (for me as non-business-user) points to an error-webpage. The entry isnt in the main Evernote windows. (## in the last stable version on my notebook at home this entry is existent to. so its maybe not a beta-version -thing)

Big Thanks in advance!
V

Hello,

My Evernote 5.9.7.9753 on Windows 10 1511 (x64) is configured to start when Windows starts. It was working perfectly before.

windows-network-prompt.jpg.6dccfba25542b

I figured out that a "Windows Security" generic prompt for network connections (see the screenshot) opened in background since 5 hours and was attached to Evernote icon. I did not opened Evernote since I started my PC... and I never had this kind of popup with a program
It says that it's loading authentification (it's not saying for what it's authenticating) then is asks me to confirm use of my only personal certificate installed in my PC (Windows Live account certificate) So not affiliated with Evernote.
I think that this means that Evernote is connecting to a server with unknown SSL certificate. But, when I open Evernote, I SEE THAT IT CAN'T SYNC SINCE 5 HOURS, SYNC IS PROCESSING FOREVER
If I press "OK" or even "Cancel" on the prompt, it does nothing better than coming again... forever.

Why is it doing this?

Here is my hypothesis... My Internet connection is as normal as the other days :mellow:, but five hours ago my router was upgrading firmware for a couple of minutes... maybe Evernote tried to sync (in Evernote log the last try to sync was at the same hour as the upgrade) just when my router was sending a static page instead of Evernote server response (because when I access to my router using SSL (https), it sends an auto-generated certificate, and Google Chrome asks me to try to use Windows Live certificate or the authenticity of the host will not be verified), and even if the upgrade is finished, Windows is still stuck on this SSL auth.

Here is the log at the faulty sync

19:53:00 [4296] Client synchronization started
19:53:00 [5672] 0% Connecting to www.evernote.com/edam/note/s454
19:53:00 [5672] 0% Connecting account flefevre154
19:53:00 [5672] 0% Loaded updateCount: 10318
19:53:11 [12208] 0% Connecting to WebSocket at ws.www.evernote.com:443
=====> AFTER THIS LINE NOTHING APPEARS TO BE ABOUT SYNC, SO IT WAS STILL TRYING TO CONNECT TO WEBSOCKET AFTER 5 HOURS --'
19:53:21 [9752] Checking UpSell: Checking Eligiblity
19:53:21 [9752] Checking UpSell: Not Eligible: Too soon, check API after 2016/02/14 14:16:23
[same two lines one time per minute]

Log opened on 2016/02/13 22:08:29 (UTC+1:00)

22:08:29 [7624] Command line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\Evernote.exe" 

Log closed on 2016/02/13 22:08:29 (UTC+1:00)

22:08:29 [9752] Command line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\Evernote.exe" 
22:08:30 [9752] Registered session count: 1, last session: 2016/02/13 22:00:00
22:09:21 [9752] Checking UpSell: Checking Eligiblity
22:09:21 [9752] Checking UpSell: Not Eligible: Too soon, check API after 2016/02/14 14:16:23
22:17:32 [9752] Registered session count: 2, last session: 2016/02/13 22:15:00
22:18:21 [9752] Checking UpSell: Checking Eligiblity
22:18:21 [9752] Checking UpSell: Not Eligible: Too soon, check API after 2016/02/14 14:16:23
00:26:37 [9752] Registered session count: 3, last session: 2016/02/14 00:15:00
00:27:21 [9752] Checking UpSell: Checking Eligiblity
00:27:21 [9752] Checking UpSell: Not Eligible: Too soon, check API after 2016/02/14 14:16:23
00:44:43 [9752] Command line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\Evernote.exe" 
00:44:43 [9752] Registered session count: 4, last session: 2016/02/14 00:30:00
00:45:21 [9752] Checking UpSell: Checking Eligiblity
00:45:21 [9752] Checking UpSell: Not Eligible: Too soon, check API after 2016/02/14 14:16:23
00:51:02 [9752] Registered session count: 5, last session: 2016/02/14 00:45:00
00:51:21 [9752] Checking UpSell: Checking Eligiblity
00:51:21 [9752] Checking UpSell: Not Eligible: Too soon, check API after 2016/02/14 14:16:23

So I killed Evernote.exe and restarted Evernote. Not surprised... the Windows prompt closed and sync was working... because it figured out that there was no longer something with the router.

Even if this is a really specific problem, can you optimize Evernote to avoid this problem? Thanks!

I downloaded this beta version in hopes that is would solve a performance issue with everynote on my PC. Unfortunately, it has not. The program continues to freeze when I highlight a section of content to cut or delete. Can you help me resolve this issue?

Side note - it would be awesome if you guys could make the scroll button on the right darker. It's hard to see in certain screen resolutions. This is the button that enables scrolling of the note you're in. 

Quite often, I use the bullet and numbered lists and need to move items up and down and (un)indent them. Unfortunately, that's quite tricky and difficult in EN. I imagine an editor where lists can be reorganized easily by dragging items around. Would it be possible to add drag & drop editing of lists, please? Actually, drag & drop editing of tables would be nice, too ;-)

Since installing this beta I have found that when I am reading through a note I can scroll down but then intermittently the note jumps back to the top line, I have also found this happens if I tick a check box, the box gets a tick then the note jumps to the top, this happens when previewing or if I open the note.

• gbarry unfeatured this topic
59 minutes ago, ianfm said:

Since installing this beta I have found that when I am reading through a note I can scroll down but then intermittently the note jumps back to the top line, I have also found this happens if I tick a check box, the box gets a tick then the note jumps to the top, this happens when previewing or if I open the note.

I'm experiencing this as well and it is extremely annoying, particularly with long notes where I must now scroll down to re-find my place. The timing seems to be sporadic, sometimes it will go several minutes between jumps, sometimes it jumps as soon as I return to my spot in the note.

Please, please fix this!

Another strange "feature": although I have set Tahoma 12 as my default note editor font/size, when I choose to Simplify Formatting or Remove Formatting the text appears in Tahoma 15. Why?

Also, still, the application keeps not responding after every few edits. It kills the work flow so often that it's a serious problem. Productivity gets lost unacceptably.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, André said:

Also, still, the application keeps not responding after every few edits. It kills the work flow so often that it's a serious problem. Productivity gets lost unacceptably.

This issue has been around since 5.x launched. It is horrible. It happens to me on a brand new Surface Pro 4 with 16GB of RAM, the new Skylake i5 processor, and a 512GB SSD.

I just don't use Evernote on any Windows machine for editing and composing. I use the website, or my Mac. My 2015 Macbook with a relatively patheic Core M 1.2GHz processor runs circles around a Windows machine for editing and composing because the Mac version of EN doesn't suffer from the design flaws EN for Windows has when it comes to the database structure, which I am convinced is what causes EN for Windows to momentarily freeze as it does all of the time.

I thought I would chime in on  @André and @EdH 's comments.

I live, eat and breath Evernote for Windows all day every day using my "Walmart Special i3" and Windows 10.  I don't have any of the problems you state ("not responding) - I edit away and compose all the time.

One thought I have for you - check your Activity Log on the Help menu.  Are you having connectivity problems?  Sync problems?

• Level 5*

Same here, no response issues.  At least not since I added an SSD which methinks overpowered the data base activity EN Windows seems to be doing.  But I don't have any large text notes, which from previous posts in other threads, may be a another cause of the response issues.  So, editing large and or small notes causing the issue?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, JeffreyC said:

I thought I would chime in on  @André and @EdH 's comments.

I live, eat and breath Evernote for Windows all day every day using my "Walmart Special i3" and Windows 10.  I don't have any of the problems you state ("not responding) - I edit away and compose all the time.

One thought I have for you - check your Activity Log on the Help menu.  Are you having connectivity problems?  Sync problems?

No. I have a 7.5GB 16,000 note database, freshly downloaded on my new Surface Pro 4 last week. Probably 24-30 notebooks, with notes ranging from 116bytes to 66MB. I've had this issue for 2+ years, as have others. The problem is real. EN will just stop working, Windows will change the EN title bar to "not responding" and then in 15 seconds to 2 minutes, Evernote will wake back up. Meanwhile, a massive journal file is created in the EN database folder where it is doing some maintenance, and there doesn't have to be any sync going on. In fact, this happens to me on airplanes too where I have no network connection, so it definitely isn't caused by a sync, though a sync may exacerbate it.

I have worked with EN multiple times on this issue and it goes on for a month or so then the case eventually gets dropped with "we just released a new update. see that works." And it doesn't.

While it can happen any time, it is worse when doing a long text note, something you'd consider using Word for for example.

iOS, OS X, and the web versions of Evernote do not have this issue. Sad my iPhone is better at editing large text notes than my Surface Pro 4.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, EdH said:

The problem is real.

I certainly agree with this, didn't mean to imply that it wasn't.

Again, I had the issue prior to switching to a SSD.  My current DB is 12.7GB with 27k notes, largest one is 49MB.  Half of my notes are PDFs.  I am using a docked Lenovo laptop with 8GB of memory and an i5 2.6 processor using, so not exactly a rocket.  I am using the current public version of EN with Windows 10 Pro (didn't have any issues either with Win 7 Pro).  And I just spun off 5k/5GB of old project notes to a new free account, so I was at 32k notes 18GB a month ago.  And I had none of the response time issues.  I guess I should feel blessed at this point.

23 minutes ago, EdH said:

Meanwhile, a massive journal file is created in the EN database folder where it is doing some maintenance, and there doesn't have to be any sync going on.

I think you have nailed it here.  I'm just wondering what is so different about our set ups so as to get such different experiences.  Based upon all the different configurations out there perhaps not the simplest task in the world, but something one would think EN should be able and would want to determine .  Though through your experience hasn't for whatever reason.  Could it be larger data base users are a fringe case when they prioritize resources?

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, csihilling said:

I certainly agree with this, didn't mean to imply that it wasn't.

Again, I had the issue prior to switching to a SSD.  My current DB is 12.7GB with 27k notes, largest one is 49MB.  Half of my notes are PDFs.  I am using a docked Lenovo laptop with 8GB of memory and an i5 2.6 processor using, so not exactly a rocket.  I am using the current public version of EN with Windows 10 Pro (didn't have any issues either with Win 7 Pro).  And I just spun off 5k/5GB of old project notes to a new free account, so I was at 32k notes 18GB a month ago.  And I had none of the response time issues.  I guess I should feel blessed at this point.

I think you have nailed it here.  I'm just wondering what is so different about our set ups so as to get such different experiences.  Based upon all the different configurations out there perhaps not the simplest task in the world, but something one would think EN should be able and would want to determine .  Though through your experience hasn't for whatever reason.  Could it be larger data base users are a fringe case when they prioritize resources?

I don't know why the differences. I do know my database goes back to 2004 at least but I am sure that is relevant as I always download a fresh copy with each new machine.

I honestly think the fix is to scrap the EN Windows database and go with out the Mac and iOS work, where each note is a separate file/database entry and not this single monolithic file.

Well, don't I feel "small."  LOL  I'm only 2300 notes / 2.8Gb   (I've been up to 9000, but, purged when I left my last job.)

But, I think the SSD idea may be a key here.  Yes, I have to admit - I do have an SSD.  I liked my Walmart Special before, but the SDD is awesome. 

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, JeffreyC said:

Well, don't I feel "small."  LOL  I'm only 2300 notes / 2.8Gb   (I've been up to 9000, but, purged when I left my last job.)

But, I think the SSD idea may be a key here.  Yes, I have to admit - I do have an SSD.  I liked my Walmart Special before, but the SDD is awesome. 

But it isn't. I've had this on a fast 7,500 RPM HDD, two SSD's - one from 2012, and now brand new - and a hybrid drive. A faster drive may mask these issues on smaller journal files, but at a point, the drive cannot keep up with what EN is trying to do and the app UI just freezes.

Have you contacted support?  (Are you Premium?)

Also, maybe you are just pushing poor Evernote over its limits unfortunately.  Though, again, I've had about 9000 notes at one time.  And, when I had "Not Responding" issues, it was because of "live syncs" (if you will) failing.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, JeffreyC said:

Have you contacted support?  (Are you Premium?)

Also, maybe you are just pushing poor Evernote over its limits unfortunately.  Though, again, I've had about 9000 notes at one time.  And, when I had "Not Responding" issues, it was because of "live syncs" (if you will) failing.

From above - multiple times.

I have worked with EN multiple times on this issue and it goes on for a month or so then the case eventually gets dropped with "we just released a new update. see that works." And it doesn't.

And I'm not pushing it too far for my phone or my Mac. This is strictly an Evernote for Windows issue. When I first got my Macbook, I had a business account with my previous employer and my note count was north of 25,000 and the database size was over 15GB. The Mac handled it just fine. Windows not so much. Halving it by leaving the business notebooks hasn't noticeably helped.

Just adding here that I had this problem for a long time on multiple machines. The newest is a DELL XPS 15 with 16BG RAM and 1TB SSD, EN freshly installed, of course, and it still happens. Maybe it's the size of the database, which includes 50,000+ notes in 100+ notebooks, and has a size of 24GB. Nevertheless, I know from software development that this should not be an issue. The database has also recently been optimized. I'm wondering what is going on while a note is being edited. It happens even with small notes. Indexing does not need to happen during an edit and can be done in a separate thread. I'm also pretty sure that it's not the syncing thread, which appears to have improved quite a bit recently.

Please stop adding SPACES arbitrarily at where unnecessary and don't need it!!
CJK language users and code snippet don't need it and beyond annoying!
If you really want add this feature, why not provide an option let user to choose, enable or disable it?

In the past, the extra space issue only happened when RTF associated, check this this and this post . But from about v5.9.X, even pasting some text with styles into evernote editor, evernote will add extra spaces "cleverly", especially in CJK language! like this post and this said.
I have to stay v5.8.12 because pasting is a daily use operation, and delete so much times extra spaces drive me crazy.

-------

d80a8e60gw1f151c0cuw2g20ha0a1adj.gif

Dear Stephane Lo,

could you elaborate for me (via forum comment or private message) on the "Better handling of CJK languages in search"?

I'd like to know what you improved in this regard in detail, as I use one of the CJK very frequently in and with Evernote.

Thanks in advance.

• Level 5*

Add me to the list of people once again experiencing note titles deleting in the middle of typing them (and syncing). Bah humbug!

Also, that preview looks exciting, at least in the aspect that we'll seemingly get to color tags and notebooks. I hope the green notebooks aren't default, though. Color change - yes! Green or bust - ack!

I would really like to request better type hierarchy in the note list, however. Bigger, bolder note titles, like those on Mac, would be AWESOME. It's so easy and clear to scroll my note list (in snippet view) on my Mac reading the titles, and headache-inducing on Windows. I'm not above begging and kissing shoes!

There's still this bug with default font sizes: when selecting S

On 18/02/2016 at 0:34 PM, André said:

Another strange "feature": although I have set Tahoma 12 as my default note editor font/size, when I choose to Simplify Formatting or Remove Formatting the text appears in Tahoma 15. Why?

Any clues on this one?

11 minutes ago, André said:

There's still this bug with default font sizes: when selecting S

Any clues on this one?

You must be special, @André.  ;-)  For the fun of it, and to be a contributor, I gave this a whirl.  I too have my default font set to Tahoma 12.  I pasted in some email text with all kinds of sizes / fonts / colors and tried both Simplify and Remove Formatting.  Mine went back to Tahoma 12.

2 minutes ago, JeffreyC said:

You must be special, @André.  ;-)  For the fun of it, and to be a contributor, I gave this a whirl.  I too have my default font set to Tahoma 12.  I pasted in some email text with all kinds of sizes / fonts / colors and tried both Simplify and Remove Formatting.  Mine went back to Tahoma 12.

Weird! Well, I may be special, then. Am I unique? :-P lol

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, chirmer said:

Add me to the list of people once again experiencing note titles deleting in the middle of typing them (and syncing). Bah humbug!

Yup. This isn't unique to Windows though. The Mac client does the same thing, and it also deletes tags I am typing mid-stream when it syncs. Syncing on both clients is too aggressive IMHO. Nothing should be syncing on the current note during typing.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, André said:

A feature request: could we get formatting options, like Title Case, UPPER, SMALL CAPS, lower, etc.? I think they exist on the Mac version.

No, not that I can find.

@André - for the formatting options, I love (about as much as Evernote) and live by a utility called ClipMate.  Check it out at www.ClipMate.com  In a nutshell, it captures everything off your clipboard.  So, just copy, then, use one of it's many functions, including your case conversion, and paste.  It's really a great and powerful app.

As for tables, well, yeah, I have nothing..... ;-)

Okay, I gotta get some work done.  Make it a great day.

1 minute ago, JeffreyC said:

@André - for the formatting options, I love (about as much as Evernote) and live by a utility called ClipMate.  Check it out at www.ClipMate.com  In a nutshell, it captures everything off your clipboard.  So, just copy, then, use one of it's many functions, including your case conversion, and paste.  It's really a great and powerful app.

As for tables, well, yeah, I have nothing..... ;-)

Okay, I gotta get some work done.  Make it a great day.

Thanks for the link - will check it out.

Have a nice and productive day! :-) Going home, soon.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, EdH said:

Yup. This isn't unique to Windows though. The Mac client does the same thing, and it also deletes tags I am typing mid-stream when it syncs. Syncing on both clients is too aggressive IMHO. Nothing should be syncing on the current note during typing.

I don't have this issue on my Mac, oddly enough, and never have. But it's plagued me on Windows for quite some time. It seemed to go away for a bit, but now it's back in force. *insert overly dramatic sigh*

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, André said:

A feature request: could we get formatting options, like Title Case, UPPER, SMALL CAPS, lower, etc.? I think they exist on the Mac version.

Yep, they are in EN Mac 6.4 (and much earlier I think):

• Goto Edit > Transformations:
    • Make Upper
    • Make Lower
    • Capitalize
  • Level 5*
13 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Yep, they are in EN Mac 6.4 (and much earlier I think):

• Goto Edit > Transformations:
    • Make Upper
    • Make Lower
    • Capitalize

Nice. I was looking on the right-click menu. I am not a fan on the Mac with how some things are in the menu and some in the right-click menu, and some in the user interface. Office 2016 for Mac is horrible with splitting where things are. Goalseek, for instance in Excel 2016, is only in the menu, not in the ribbon interface.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, EdH said:

I am not a fan on the Mac with how some things are in the menu and some in the right-click menu, and some in the user interface

This is not Mac specific.  The app developer has complete control over what's in the normal menus, and what's in the right-click menu.
But I'm with you.  The right-click menu is context specific, and should show all actions available to apply to the object of the right-click.  This is just good design.  But some app designers try to overthink what the user will want, and present a subset of all actions.  This really doesn't work when you have millions of users.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

This is not Mac specific.  The app developer has complete control over what's in the normal menus, and what's in the right-click menu.
But I'm with you.  The right-click menu is context specific, and should show all actions available to apply to the object of the right-click.  This is just good design.  But some app designers try to overthink what the user will want, and present a subset of all actions.  This really doesn't work when you have millions of users.

In a way it is. WIth WIndows apps, you generally have either a menu or a ribbon, not both. 100% of what you can do in Excel, Word, Diskeeper, etc. you can do in the ribbon. Lots of handy things are put in the right-click menu for convenience.

If a Windows app has a menu and no ribbon, then generally 100% of what you can do is available in the menu, like Evernote, File Locator, Textpad, etc. Again, many things are duplicated on the right-click menu for convenience.

With the Mac, a single app can have 3 places for things, and none of those three places have 100% of what you can do:

• Menu
  • Ribbon/toolbar
  • right-click menu

So sometimes it becomes a hide-and-go-seek game to find stuff. With Windows, I may not know exactly where a command/feature is, but at least I know what part of the UI it is in.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, EdH said:

With the Mac, a single app can have 3 places for things, and none of those three places have 100% of what you can do:

Ed, this depends on the app.  It is 100% under the control of the app designer.

Hello Stéphane, welcome!

It's nice to have you here and thanks for the screenshot.

I hope we will be able to make stacks for business labels in this new version. 

When we upgraded to Evernote Business we couldn't make stacks for our business labels. This was a disappointment. Only personal labels can be stacked.

• Level 5*
On 2/24/2016 at 5:00 PM, JMichaelTX said:

Ed, this depends on the app.  It is 100% under the control of the app designer.

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but really trying to understand. How could an app designer, even on Windows, actually put UI elements in 3 different locations? I think the problem is on the Mac there is still the old menu. IMHO, nothing should be in the menu anymore if there is a robust ribbon/toolbar style interface. Excel 2016 for Mac for example. There is no reason for the menu given Excel 2016 for Windows has no menu. (Yes, I get possibly "Preference" and the Apple system part, which is fine, but you don't use those to do work.)

It is just one thing on the Mac that seems to be a remnant of days gone by, and it is poor UI design by a developer that splits their functionality between the menu, the ribbon/toolbar, and contextual menus.

And then there is Evernote, which actually hides some things behind keyboard shortcuts exclusively, like indent/outdent...:mellow:

On 22/02/2016 at 4:19 PM, JeffreyC said:

Well, I figured out what the problem is. When you change the scaling of fonts (due to a high-DPI display and/or bad sight) the fonts are changed in EN!!! Of course, this is the completely wrong way to handle this. A font of size 12 should be rendered at the same size, but using more pixels (higher density). Instead, they make a 12 point font become a 24 point size in the note (with scaling of 200%). When you go back to a device with 100% scaling everything is messed up... Also, printing is messed up, because you get giant output. The support for high-DPI displays is very bad with EN - what a pity!

On 2-3-2016 at 5:46 PM, André said:

Well, I figured out what the problem is. When you change the scaling of fonts (due to a high-DPI display and/or bad sight) the fonts are changed in EN!!! Of course, this is the completely wrong way to handle this. A font of size 12 should be rendered at the same size, but using more pixels (higher density). Instead, they make a 12 point font become a 24 point size in the note (with scaling of 200%). When you go back to a device with 100% scaling everything is messed up... Also, printing is messed up, because you get giant output. The support for high-DPI displays is very bad with EN - what a pity!

Excellent debugging ! I have the same problem but I didn't realize that this was caused by a bad font scaling implementation in evernote. I hope they will solve this soon...

Here's one minor bug on Windows 10. I have EN 5.9.7 Beta pinned to my taskbar. When I click to open EN, it causes a second EN icon to be displayed on the taskbar. This never happens with any other apps on the taskbar. 

hace 4 horas, Bob Noble dijo:

Here's one minor bug on Windows 10. I have EN 5.9.7 Beta pinned to my taskbar. When I click to open EN, it causes a second EN icon to be displayed on the taskbar. This never happens with any other apps on the taskbar. 

That's been happening to me with all Evernote versions since upgrading to W10. A workaround is to pin that second icon and unpin the first one and that bug should not happen again.

EN Windows 5.9.7 Beta (this is not feedback for EN Windows Touch) 

Looks pretty nice on Windows 10 TABLET device (8 inch).

Issue:

The only issues I see with Note Panel.

1/ note panel (the note body)  - can't scroll within the note. If note is longer, touch gestures normally make page scroll would just mark text.  On the other hand, scrolling works fine in the list of notes. 

I add - although there is a scroll bar on right side and it can be dragged to see the note - but given the size of the minuture 8" screen the scrollbar is barely accessible without accidentally triggering the notification panel in Windows 10.

2/ Notes don't wrap text (regular text, no formatting) if the note panel is on right site. If the note panel is on bottom, text is visible.

Functional request:

1. The snippet or card view for list of notes has "Reminders" on top - thank you. (I think this was overdue). But Reminders are still missing in the "List" view of notes.

2. Why is list view available only as bottom panel? Why is snippet and card view for list of notes only available if note panel is on right side. This is unnecessary restriction for people with 24" inch screens and up... 

• Level 5*
On 3/2/2016 at 10:46 AM, André said:

Well, I figured out what the problem is. When you change the scaling of fonts (due to a high-DPI display and/or bad sight) the fonts are changed in EN!!! Of course, this is the completely wrong way to handle this. A font of size 12 should be rendered at the same size, but using more pixels (higher density).

Please submit a bug report for this.  Although Evernote may deny it is a bug (but it at least is a serious design flaw), I believe it is important to notify Evernote about this.

No one should count on reporting issues or bugs in these forums as being a way to officially notify Evernote.  While Evernote staff may (or may not) monitor these forums and read every post, it is risky to assume they have received your complaint/issue/bug report just by posting here.

I recommend that everyone who experiences a bug to submit a bug report.  This will make sure that Evernote is aware of the issue, provide your environment data to help identify/fix the issue, and put more pressure on Evernote to fix.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue", "Payment/Billing Issue", and  "Log in issues".

• Level 5*

I have a Surface Pro 4, and when using the touchpad, it should simulate a scroll wheel when using two fingers. So a two finger swipe up will scroll Chrome down for example, as if I were pushing the web page up.

When in Evernote in list view, this doesn't work. It sucketh mightily. it forces me to go grab the skinny scroll bar on the right.

Is this unique to the SP4 (the gods of Windows know the SP4 has its issues) or do others experience this with a trackpad that has similar shortcuts?

On 6/3/2016 at 22:21, cssyzesv dijo:

2. Why is list view available only as bottom panel? Why is snippet and card view for list of notes only available if note panel is on right side. This is unnecessary restriction for people with 24" inch screens and up... 

Actually this is possible right now. Don't know if there's a button or menu option, but the Ctrl+Shift+F5 shortcut toggles between top and right list view panel. Hope you can do that in your tablet...

On 06/03/2016 at 4:28 AM, JMichaelTX said:

Please submit a bug report for this.

Yes, I did and got a reply. They say that they are working on a solution for high dpi displays...

On 3/5/2016 at 4:42 AM, Bob Noble said:

This was a Windows 10 bug. It was fixed in the November 2015 refresh (build 10586). Specifically, it was a bug in the Win10 api SetCurrentProcessExplicitAppUserModelID.

• Level 5*
37 minutes ago, alexb26 said:

I really hope you guys have fixed the DPI scaling issue with 4k Screens. It's still infuriating to think my most used app runs blurry on my fantastic 4k Screen next to other optimized programmes. 

This is a Windows problem. App developers can work around it, with much wailing and gnashing of teeth, but Windows was never designed to run properly at these insane resolutions compared to 600x800 of years past. The new Modern apps have an entirely new API for resolutions and they look fine, but the classic apps, not so much. Developers really have to work for it. http://www.hanselman.com/blog/LivingAHighDPIDesktopLifestyleCanBePainful.aspx is a good overview. I discussed with a developer and he was beside himself with frustration over having to provide many different icons and trying to work with low to medium to high to "retina" and above resoutions. One of those things where 90% of the time is spent on funcitonality, and the remaining 90% on getting it to look right.

As more apps move to the Modern interface it will be fine, but so far, Modern apps are pathetically underpowered. I tried EN for Win8 and that lasted less than 10min. Even MS hasn't, and likely won't for a long time, move Office apps to the new UI.

Not saying EN doesn't have work to do or bear some responsiblity for letting the app out as it is without really tuning for high-res screens, but MS hasn't made it easy at all.

Archived