PDF annotations not saved in Evernote [mac]

MattyMcBurns

I've been having some difficulty retaining PDF annotations in Evernote using a specific program for mac. Here's the rub:

I use a PDF viewer/annotation program called Skim (v1.4.17) for mac, which is currently set as my default program for viewing/editing PDFs. Any time I make annotations (highlights, notes, etc.) with Skim they are not retained in Evernote. This problem exists both if I open a PDF file saved in Evernote and attempt to annotate/save or if I take a PDF file that is saved to my HD, annotate it, and copy it into a new note. 

Has anybody had similar issues with retaining PDF annotations and is there a workaround? This is a deal breaker for me using the Evernote interface, since some of the most important work I do involves efficiently annotating PDFs and sharing them with others in my workflow.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Level 5*
On 2/3/2016 at 0:02 PM, MattyMcBurns said:

I use a PDF viewer/annotation program called Skim (v1.4.17) for mac, which is currently set as my default program for viewing/editing PDFs. Any time I make annotations (highlights, notes, etc.) with Skim they are not retained in Evernote. This problem exists both if I open a PDF file saved in Evernote and attempt to annotate/save or if I take a PDF file that is saved to my HD, annotate it, and copy it into a new note. 

This sounds more like an issue with Skim than with Evernote.  The key fact here is that PDFs you annotate PRIOR to attaching to Evernote do not show the annotations after attaching to Evernote.

I have been using Adobe Acrobat Pro for years with both EN Mac and EN Win, and all annotations I make in Acrobat are always retained in the PDF attached to Evernote.

You might try using another PDF tool ( on a free trial basis) to see if it will work.  Whatever PDF tool you use must use the standard Adobe Acrobat annotation protocol.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Archived