Evernote for Mac 6.5 Beta 1 Released

SoftwareMarcus

Idea

Today we’re releasing Evernote for Mac 6.5 Beta 1.  We’ve been laser focused on quality so 6.5 mostly has a bunch of under the hood stability fixes.  Some of these are big changes and could actually cause more instability so please report back if you're seeing weird behavior or increased crashes.

Even though we've been mostly working on stability stuff we have a few cool things we’ve added to the Mac client.   2 weeks ago Evernote held it’s first ever hackweek where everyone stopped their day-to-day work to spend a week designing, prototyping and building whatever they had a passion to work on as long as it was related to Evernote or could help Evernote customers.  There were 54 separate teams and lots of really cool stuff produced.   A couple of these cool things are showing up in this release.  Here are some highlights of 6.5 Beta 1.

Change
  • We’ve changed the increase and decrease font size key command.  It used to be CMD + "+" and CMD + “-“.   We are now changing this and aligning it with MS Office and Google Docs so the new key command will be CMD+SHIFT+> and CMD+SHIFT+<.  This leaves CMD +”+”  and CMD + “-“ for another feature ;).

Beta Features (Hackweek)
  • Zoom - One of our hack week features is the ability to zoom in or out of your note content.   Unfortunately it’s not quite finished yet but since so many of you have been asking for this for so long we decided to include it as a beta feature that you can turn on with the understanding that there are still a few bugs.  I don’t think the issues are that bad.  For example, if you Zoom in and your image reaches the width of the note it will start to shrink when you try to zoom in.  Also you can’t really resize an image when zoomed in.  To try it out go to Preferences -> Software Update -> Enable zoom.

• Code Block - Another of our hack week features is code block which lots of our software engineers wanted to have in Evernote.  This basically takes any selected text and converts it to a monospaced font and creates a grey background around the line of text.  This also has a few bugs.  I wouldn’t recommend turning this feature on if you are an Android user because editing the note on Android will undo the code block.  This works fine if you’re using the Common Editor beta version of Android but will break using the standard Android app.  To try it out go to Preferences -> Software Update -> Enable code block.

Bug Fixes
  • We improved the performance of downloading a large number of tags on initial sync.  
  • We do not have a fix yet for an issue that cropped up in 6.4 where checkboxes don't print.  We're still working on it.

As always, thanks for testing the Mac 6.5 Beta 1 release and please report issues you find in this forum thread because I'm tracking it closely.  Also let us know about your experience with Zoom and Code Block.  You can download the beta here or wait for the upgrade notice to appear in the app which should happen in the next few days.

57 replies to this idea

Thanks for adding CodeBlock. Pie in the Sky would be great to be add language aware syntax highligting like some of the specific Code Snippet tools, but this great as is. 

Wanted this for years.....

Thanks for listening

• Level 5*
On February 3, 2016 at 2:40 AM, chrisbulle said:

if you double-click on an attachment, it opens.... if you double-click on an image, you start presentation mode. This is not what I would expect.

Oh for the love of all things holy, make this STOP. I'd be ok with a preference that totally disabled presentation mode honstly. I think (my gut) this is one of those 5% features that, uhm, 95% of us care nothing about. It certianly shouldn't be a default for opening images.

• Level 5*
On February 3, 2016 at 2:37 AM, chrisbulle said:

the "add reminders" function still bugs me

Bildschirmfoto 2016-02-03 um 10.54.19.jpg

How about the "see reminders" bug. You know, the one that doesn't show reminders after you click on Evernote when there is a badge icon?

• Level 5*
On 2/1/2016 at 3:56 PM, SoftwareMarcus said:

We’ve changed the increase and decrease font size key command.  It used to be CMD + "+" and CMD + “-“.   We are now changing this and aligning it with MS Office and Google Docs so the new key command will be CMD+SHIFT+> and CMD+SHIFT+<.

Since your attention is on font size increase/decrease, could you please fix this bug that has existed for over a year now:

BUG REPORT:  Using CMD+ to Increase Font Size Changes All Text to Same Size

EN Mac 6.4 on Yosemite (10.10.5)

First Reported:  Dec 17, 2014,  Ver 6.0.4 Beta 2

CMD- has the same issue, changing all text.

Expected Behavior:

• Applying the selected text "Bigger" or "Smaller" by using either the menu or shortcut keys should change the text relative to the size of each piece of text
  • So, for example, if some text (in the selection) has 14pt and other has 16pt, then increasing the font size will result in 15pt and 17pt respectively.

This is how EN Mac behaved prior to Ver 6.0.4 Beta 2, and how all other Mac apps behave.

3 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

Since your attention is on font size increase/decrease, could you please fix this bug that has existed for over a year now:

+100!

On 2/5/2016 at 6:49 AM, jemostrom said:

I have the same problem as @Schaumburg, one key for < and > so using 'shift' for some shortcut including < or > doesn't work.

I like the zoom feature but I would suggest that you don't zoom the margin ... it just means that the visible area get smaller and smaller. Keep the margin fixed and zoom the content of the note. See the screenshots

Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 15.47.48.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 15.48.06.png

Thanks so much to you and the others for pointing out the fact that we have a > < key command issue with non-English keyboards.  We're working on a fix now and should have something to try out for Beta 3.  We are also looking at all of our bugs around this and found there are some other key commands that don't work so well on other keyboards.  We'll see if we can make progress on these as well.

In regards to Zoom, this is definitely a bug.  Thanks for reporting it. 

On 2/8/2016 at 4:37 PM, EdH said:

How about the "see reminders" bug. You know, the one that doesn't show reminders after you click on Evernote when there is a badge icon?

I think this is an OS specific bug and only happens on 10.9 but is fine on 10.10 and 10.11.  The number of 10.9 Evernote users is pretty small.  We'll take a look but if it's crazy complicated to fix or to find a work around we may not be able to fix this.  Changes just for 10.9 sometimes break things in 10.10 and 10.11.  Anyway, we'll take a look to see if we can find a low risk fix.

23 hours ago, soundsgoodtome said:
On 2/8/2016 at 5:53 PM, JMichaelTX said:

Expected Behavior:

• Applying the selected text "Bigger" or "Smaller" by using either the menu or shortcut keys should change the text relative to the size of each piece of text
  • So, for example, if some text (in the selection) has 14pt and other has 16pt, then increasing the font size will result in 15pt and 17pt respectively.

This is how EN Mac behaved prior to Ver 6.0.4 Beta 2, and how all other Mac apps behave.

+100!

Thanks for reminding me.  I'll add it to the list.

On 2/2/2016 at 10:06 AM, Schaumburg said:

You´re using "cmd" + ">" (without shift) to resize the text in the current note. But OS X usually use this command to focus on the next window... 

Would be nice to change this in Evernote - to cmd+shift+> :)

The menu needs to be changed to reflect that shift needs to be pressed ;)

• Level 5*
On 2/2/2016 at 11:06 AM, Schaumburg said:

You´re using "cmd" + ">" (without shift) to resize the text in the current note.

1 hour ago, BBRocks said:

The menu needs to be changed to reflect that shift needs to be pressed

Using an US/English keyboard, I don't know of any way to get a ">" or "<" without pressing SHIFT.

1 hour ago, BBRocks said:

The menu needs to be changed to reflect that shift needs to be pressed ;)

We did more testing today on different language keyboards and discovered that there isn't really an issue with the > < key commands even when using different language keyboards as displayed in the app.  The menu says CMD + > and CMD + < which is literally correct and can only be achieved with the Shift key in English.  This also works for different keyboards.  In German if you use the keys to get > and < these key commands work.  I think people had issues because I stated in this forum that the key command was CMD + SHIFT + > and CMD + SHIFT + < which is true for English keyboards but isn't true for other language keyboards.  The key command is explicitly set to CMD + > and CMD + < which will work in any language.   So in other words, we can't really display the key command as CMD + SHIFT + > in the menu because our menus must work for all languages and that key combination is only true for English.   I hope that makes sense.   For those of you who had issues, can you please try your keyboards but instead of listening to my forum post please try CMD + > and CMD + < and let me know if this doesn't work correctly for you.

Oh I know to hit the shift and it works wonderfully. I was thinking about the less tech savvy users like my husband. I had him try it out since I am trying to get him to convert and do more things on EN and on the computer in general. He had no idea what buttons to press. I probably should have made that more clear in my original comment. Sorry about that. 

• Level 5*

I love the ZOOM feature. Could you add some sort of status or indicator as to what the zoom level is? I don't care if it is permanent or not. For example, the little translucent volume indicator that vanishes after you change volume on the Mac would be fine, or something in the status bar. 

Also, any plans to add to the EN Mac command bar to have the same tools as Windows - namely the indent/outdent buttons?

On 2/14/2016 at 2:47 PM, Kraig said:

Thanks for adding CodeBlock. Pie in the Sky would be great to be add language aware syntax highligting like some of the specific Code Snippet tools, but this great as is. 

Wanted this for years.....

Thanks for listening

Great idea.  In our hackweek projects one of our engineers got this working and you could even select the languages being used.  This same person got other "modules" working in the common editor like a chess game.  This is the promise of Common Editor.  Once all of the clients are using Common Editor we'll be able to speed the release of improvements and the ability to add modules to provide enhanced capabilities.   

On February 1, 2016 at 1:56 PM, SoftwareMarcus said:
Today we’re releasing Evernote for Mac 6.5 Beta 1.  We’ve been laser focused on quality so 6.5 mostly has a bunch of under the hood stability fixes.  Some of these are big changes and could actually cause more instability so please report back if you're seeing weird behavior or increased crashes.

Even though we've been mostly working on stability stuff we have a few cool things we’ve added to the Mac client.   2 weeks ago Evernote held it’s first ever hackweek where everyone stopped their day-to-day work to spend a week designing, prototyping and building whatever they had a passion to work on as long as it was related to Evernote or could help Evernote customers.  There were 54 separate teams and lots of really cool stuff produced.   A couple of these cool things are showing up in this release.  Here are some highlights of 6.5 Beta 1.

Change
  • We’ve changed the increase and decrease font size key command.  It used to be CMD + "+" and CMD + “-“.   We are now changing this and aligning it with MS Office and Google Docs so the new key command will be CMD+SHIFT+> and CMD+SHIFT+<.  This leaves CMD +”+”  and CMD + “-“ for another feature ;).

Beta Features (Hackweek)
  • Zoom - One of our hack week features is the ability to zoom in or out of your note content.   Unfortunately it’s not quite finished yet but since so many of you have been asking for this for so long we decided to include it as a beta feature that you can turn on with the understanding that there are still a few bugs.  I don’t think the issues are that bad.  For example, if you Zoom in and your image reaches the width of the note it will start to shrink when you try to zoom in.  Also you can’t really resize an image when zoomed in.  To try it out go to Preferences -> Software Update -> Enable zoom.

• Code Block - Another of our hack week features is code block which lots of our software engineers wanted to have in Evernote.  This basically takes any selected text and converts it to a monospaced font and creates a grey background around the line of text.  This also has a few bugs.  I wouldn’t recommend turning this feature on if you are an Android user because editing the note on Android will undo the code block.  This works fine if you’re using the Common Editor beta version of Android but will break using the standard Android app.  To try it out go to Preferences -> Software Update -> Enable code block.

Bug Fixes
  • We improved the performance of downloading a large number of tags on initial sync.  
  • We do not have a fix yet for an issue that cropped up in 6.4 where checkboxes don't print.  We're still working on it.

As always, thanks for testing the Mac 6.5 Beta 1 release and please report issues you find in this forum thread because I'm tracking it closely.  Also let us know about your experience with Zoom and Code Block.  You can download the beta here or wait for the upgrade notice to appear in the app which should happen in the next few days.

Please be in tune with the Evernote community. Looking through the notes that you have I don't recall people requesting zoom feature or any of the other listed updates.

Not to sound crass, but as a loyal Evernote user I can only take so many instances where an update is rolled out with "improvements" but fall short because they are not what the community and fanbase desire.

I've seen so many of my own requests and others go unanswered. Myself, have emailed, listed on forms and even resorted to social media to try to express needed features.

Please take a look at the form. Notice all the requests that people are trying to communicate. Then take a look at what notes you have for the new release. You will clearly see a disconnect.

This disconnect is why Evernote is in its current state of turmoil and reconstruction

I do not mean to sound disrespectful. However, having features that have been requested for years be ignored. And then have a lackluster release such as this is, is in my own opinion a clear indication that EN has members or teams that are not in tune with the fanbase. It saddens me. It's like seeing a good friend make the same bad decisions over and over again. Reliving their own bad choices repeatedly. And not changing.

People tell you what they want!  Just follow that. It's like going to a restaurant ordering an amazing steak dinner and then the waiter coming over and giving you a sandwich made with spam. 

Just give people what they want. And people will be loyal in return. 

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, OMNIZEN said:

Just give people what they want. And people will be loyal in return. 

LIke consistent features across platforms where possible. For example:

• EN for Mac only merges notes in the order dated, not order selected, like Windows.
  • EN for Mac doesn't have indent/outdent buttons on the toolbar, so we have to remember to use CMD-[], or option-[], or control-[], or whatever it is as I have to look it up EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.
  • EN for Mac highlights "All Notes" all the time, regardless of what folder you are in.
  • EN for WIndows has a horrible database structure that causes lockups even on smoking fast machines (i5 Skylake Surface Pro 4 here with 512GB SDD)

Or features that people ask for:

• Both EN for Windows and Mac sync so aggressively they can both destroy your note subject and/or tags as you are entering them
  • No version of EN on any platform (cannot confirm this on Android..) will tell you what your reminder is for, just that you have one. So I open up Evernote on whatever platform I get the reminder for and play "filter the notes" to get my 15,000+ notes to the one that triggered the alert.

but at least once I get there, I can zoom in... :-|

• Level 5*
50 minutes ago, EdH said:

The subject of this discussion is: Evernote for Mac 6.5 Beta 1 Released
I'm sure there are various lists of requests for the Mac platform,
but it would be more useful to have each item posted as individual discussions.
This would allow for voting to give Evernote an idea of priority.

2 hours ago, EdH said:

• EN for Mac only merges notes in the order dated, not order selected, like Windows.
  • EN for Mac doesn't have indent/outdent buttons on the toolbar, so we have to remember to use CMD-[], or option-[], or control-[], or whatever it is as I have to look it up EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.
  • EN for Mac highlights "All Notes" all the time, regardless of what folder you are in.
  • EN for WIndows has a horrible database structure that causes lockups even on smoking fast machines (i5 Skylake Surface Pro 4 here with 512GB SDD)

Or features that people ask for:

• Both EN for Windows and Mac sync so aggressively they can both destroy your note subject and/or tags as you are entering them
  • No version of EN on any platform (cannot confirm this on Android..) will tell you what your reminder is for, just that you have one. So I open up Evernote on whatever platform I get the reminder for and play "filter the notes" to get my 15,000+ notes to the one that triggered the alert.

but at least once I get there, I can zoom in... :-|

Thank you for consolidating feature requests in organized and easy to understand format:)

On 2/1/2016 at 1:56 PM, SoftwareMarcus said:

Code Block - Another of our hack week features is code block which lots of our software engineers wanted to have in Evernote.  

You even stated the underlining issue. Focusing on features that Developers want and not the user base is the disconnect.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, OMNIZEN said:

Thank you for consolidating feature requests in organized and easy to understand format:)

You're welcome. That is the purpose of the beta forum isn't it? :-)

• Level 5*
On February 29, 2016 at 8:59 AM, EdH said:

(Feature Requests)
That is the purpose of the beta forum isn't it? :-)

I don't think so - feature requests are more of a product feedback forum thing
(current forum)

Beta Forums Description

beta area is used periodically to test private betas. As of right now, we're focused on testing through our public betas. Get early access and contribute your feedback herehttps://discussion.evernote.com/forum/218-mac-product-feedback/

Make sure to check back to this private group for special updates and details on private beta releases. 

We're excited to work together to continue improving Evernote. Your opinions and help are very important to us!

My keyboard contains a single key for <  and > just like  @Schaumburg and @jemostrom

Like @jemostrom said, CMD + SHIFT + >  wouldn't work. In my view, even using CMD + >  and CMD + <  to change font size would be quite cumbersome, because one of them would require three keystrokes (CMD + SHIFT + <>-button). These keys are all crammed to the bottom left corner of my keyboard (Finnish layout, Mac keyboard), and pressing them simultaneously requires twisting the wrist uncomfortably and paying careful attention to get your fingers on the correct keys because the fingers on some keys cloud the view to the other keys. I appreciate fluency in typing and normally don't need to even look at the keyboard. The prospect of this new shortcut does not sound fun, but rather like carpal tunnel syndrome... So far I've chosen not to update Evernote to not lose the easy option of CMD + + and CMD + -.  I would love to keep on changing font sizes with an easy shortcut, because I do it a lot to add hierarchy to notes.

It would be great if you could allow users to opt to continue using CMD + +  and CMD + -, or to choose another key combination that works for them. For me at least, using CMD + + and CMD + - for font size, and pinch for zoom, would work great! 

Thank you for considering it! 

• We’ve changed the increase and decrease font size key command.  It used to be CMD + "+" and CMD + “-“.   We are now changing this and aligning it with MS Office and Google Docs so the new key command will be CMD+SHIFT+> and CMD+SHIFT+<.  This leaves CMD +”+”  and CMD + “-“ for another feature ;).
On February 9, 2016 at 7:55 PM, SoftwareMarcus said:

Thanks for reminding me.  I'll add it to the list.

The 6.5 update Apple Store instructions are incorrect. It says CMD+> and CMD+< without the Shift key. I figured it out and will get used to it, but why do you think that is more consistent with MS Office? My Outlook uses CMD+ and CMD- for font size.

...Change We’ve changed the increase and decreasefont size  key command.  It used to be CMD + "+" and CMD + “-“.   We are now changing this and aligning it with MS Office and Google Docs so the new key command will be CMD+SHIFT+> and CMD+SHIFT+<.  This leaves CMD +”+”  and CMD + “-“ for...
36 minutes ago, teamplay said:

Thanks, Marcus! Looking forward to using the Zoom feature. What's its status on the PC version?  --Dave

This is a Mac only feature for now but is implemented in our common editor in a way that the Windows team can adopt it when they want.

I love the code block feature. Two changes that'd make it more useful:

• Be able to set the font, or just use the monospace font in my settings.
  • Allow in-line code snippets. For instance, I have a bulleted list in a note which includes, "- you may need to
    sudo chown -R `whoami` /usr/local", and if I try to make the code portion of that bullet a code block, it is broken out into its own paragraph.

Thanks for the update!

I love the code block! I'd like to see an inline code formatting too.

And I encountered a change of the line height in the code block if I delete the textline beneath it.

And a "contains code" search option could be usefull.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, sipach said:

I've been doing this with tags for years:

• SW.Code    <--- note contains code
  • MY.Code    <--- note contains code I have written

the shift+cmd+-> and shift+cmd+<- are used for select the entire line from start to end or end to start. They are the basic operations in Mac. There are really few applications will change it. Could you use shift+cmd+up arrow or down arrow? or Would it be possible to add an option to turn on/off it by users. 

I have a little confusion, why evernote alway tries to change the UX of experienced users? It seems bad.

• Level 5*

so the new key command will be CMD+SHIFT+> and CMD+SHIFT+<.  

On 2/3/2016 at 7:32 PM, iilaplex said:

the shift+cmd+-> and shift+cmd+<- are used for select the entire line from start to end or end to start.

@illapex, I'm not sure which keys you are referring to, but i believe the Mac standard is:

• CMD + SHIFT + ▶    (right arrow) to select from cursor to end of line
  • CMD + SHIFT + ◀   (left arrow) to select from cursor to beginning of line

We’ve changed the increase and decrease font size key command.  It used to be CMD + "+" and CMD + “-“.   We are now changing this and aligning it with MS Office and Google Docs so the new key command will be CMD+SHIFT+> and CMD+SHIFT+<.

EDIT:  Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 8:01 PM     BELOW OBJECTION/SUGGESTION WITHDRAWN
See my post below.

@SoftwareMarcus, I would refer you to this Apple document on Mac standard shortcuts:

Mac keyboard shortcuts 

MS Office violates a number of Mac standards.  I would not use it, by itself, as a reference or guideline.
Why not go with the Apple provided shortcuts:

Command–Shift–
Minus sign (-)    
Decrease the size of the selected item.
Command–Shift–
Plus sign (+)
Increase the size of the selected item. Command–Equal sign (=) performs the same function.

please let me have printing / pdf options. The current setup is not useful at all.

1. adjustable margins 
  2. headers and footers with basic variables such as date, page no. of total pages, title, author
  3. manual page breaks and maybe page break preview.
  4. generate pdf with note title as filename

Thank you for the zoom! One thing I noticed is that zooming a note with a pdf seems to be backwards: CMD + “-“ increases size and CMD + "+" decreases size. If a note has type and a pdf, CMD + "+" will increase the type size and decrease the pdf size at the same time. Hope that makes sense. Hope that makes sense...

On 2/3/2016 at 9:53 AM, JMichaelTX said:

@illapex, I'm not sure which keys you are referring to, but i believe the Mac standard is:

• CMD + SHIFT + ▶    (right arrow) to select from cursor to end of line
  • CMD + SHIFT + ◀   (left arrow) to select from cursor to beginning of line

@SoftwareMarcus, I would refer you to this Apple document on Mac standard shortcuts:

Mac keyboard shortcuts 

MS Office violates a number of Mac standards.  I would not use it, by itself, as a reference or guideline.
Why not go with the Apple provided shortcuts:

Command–Shift–
Minus sign (-)    
Decrease the size of the selected item.
Command–Shift–
Plus sign (+)
Increase the size of the selected item. Command–Equal sign (=) performs the same function.

Yes! I think the Evernote should not use the Mac standard shortcut, which will make users confusing about how to use the application and cause lots of inconvenience. Hope the developers to re-consider the shortcut change.

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, iilaplex said:

Yes! I think the Evernote should not use the Mac standard shortcut, which will make users confusing about how to use the application and cause lots of inconvenience.

Sorry, I'm still confused about what you want.

Do you agree with me that Evernote should use the Mac standard shortcuts for increasing/decreasing the size of text?

• Command–Shift–Minus sign (-) 
  • Command–Shift–Plus sign (+)
1 minute ago, JMichaelTX said:

Sorry, I'm still confused about what you want.

Do you agree with me that Evernote should use the Mac standard shortcuts for increasing/decreasing the size of text?

• Command–Shift–Minus sign (-) 
  • Command–Shift–Plus sign (+)

Yes. I agree with you. I think the shortcuts should be consistent with Mac Standard.

On February 1, 2016 at 1:56 PM, SoftwareMarcus said:
Change

Respectfully, this is a horrible, horrible decision.

Every Mac app I can think of (i.e., dozens) uses either ⌘+/⌘- or ⇧⌘+/⇧⌘- to change font size or to increase image size. Every. Single. One. 

Now, instead of respecting these deeply intrenched (not to mention intuitive) conventions—which your own app has followed for many years, you've decided to eschew reason and instead change the shortcuts to use buttons that are loosely associated (at least on computers) with left and right.

So, knowing that we'll continue to instinctively reach for the + and - buttons to change font size in dozens and dozens of other apps, you now expect us to remember—in Evernote only—to instead use completely different keys.

And you believe this is a good idea because… (?)

You'd like to add Zoom as a new feature? Great! But why assign, to Zoom, shortcuts that are conventionally used—almost universally—for font size? Wouldn't it be more logical (and yes, user-friendly) to simply assign new shortcuts to the new feature (e.g., ⇧⌥+ for zooming in and ⇧⌥- for zooming out)?

Instead, you're reassigning the old shortcut to a new feature, and giving the old feature a new shortcut.

Because logic?

On 2/2/2016 at 8:26 AM, Toph said:

I love the code block feature. Two changes that'd make it more useful:

• Be able to set the font, or just use the monospace font in my settings.
  • Allow in-line code snippets. For instance, I have a bulleted list in a note which includes, "- you may need to
    sudo chown -R `whoami` /usr/local", and if I try to make the code portion of that bullet a code block, it is broken out into its own paragraph.

Thanks for this feedback.  Some of the limitations we have are due to the different editors in the different versions of Evernote on the various platforms.  Once we move everything to the same common editor it will be a lot easier to make these types of changes.  

On 2/2/2016 at 9:06 AM, Schaumburg said:

You´re using "cmd" + ">" (without shift) to resize the text in the current note. But OS X usually use this command to focus on the next window... 

Would be nice to change this in Evernote - to cmd+shift+> :)

I'm not able to reproduce this issue.  The Shift is required to increase or decrease files.

On 2/2/2016 at 9:13 AM, sipach said:

Thanks for the update!

I love the code block! I'd like to see an inline code formatting too.

And I encountered a change of the line height in the code block if I delete the textline beneath it.

Thanks.  Cool idea. 

On 2/3/2016 at 5:32 PM, iilaplex said:

the shift+cmd+-> and shift+cmd+<- are used for select the entire line from start to end or end to start. They are the basic operations in Mac. There are really few applications will change it. Could you use shift+cmd+up arrow or down arrow? or Would it be possible to add an option to turn on/off it by users. 

I have a little confusion, why evernote alway tries to change the UX of experienced users? It seems bad.

We aren't changing the arrow keys.  The keys that work to increase or decrease font size is the greater than and less than keys or moe specifically "," and ".".  We thought long and hard about this change and feel that this is the right change.

1) CMD + + and CMD - - is the universal standard for Zoom in Safari and Chrome and in many other apps.  We felt this would be used often and should follow the standard.

2) Resizing the font will be used less in Evernote since many people never format their notes.  However, for those that do format their notes, we also felt that following the key commands of the top 2 word processors (MS Word and Google Docs) is the best option since people are familiar with these applications.  It almost doesn't matter what the Mac standards are if the top 2 word processors use a different set of keys. They define a standard that people know and are familiar with.

We could have tried to do a hybrid approach like Mail where we would increase the font size if text is selected and zoom if it's not and we tried this and it didn't feel right.  People might accidentally increase the font size when all they wanted to do is to increase the note size.  We also could have followed Apple Pages which reverses these keys using zoom with the greater than and less than keys and + and - for font size but again we decided that Zoom was the more important key command to align with because of how Evernote is used.

What do other people think?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, SoftwareMarcus said:

1) CMD + + and CMD - - is the universal standard for Zoom in Safari and Chrome and in many other apps.  We felt this would be used often and should follow the standard.

I totally agree with this.  The apps I most often use zoom is with Browsers, and all of them use CMD +/-
the other app is use zoom a lot is Adobe Acrobat.  It also uses CMD +/-

While we are on the subject of zoom shortcut keys, I propose you follow Acrobat, since PDFs are so universally common:

Adobe-Acrobat-Zoom-Shortcuts.png

We also could have followed Apple Pages which reverses these keys using zoom with the greater than and less than keys and + and - for font size

It is unbelievable that Apple violated their own standards with Pages.
The only real Apple competitor to Pages is TextEdit, which follows the so-called "standard"
Unfortunately, this has the effect of having NO standard for text size increase/decrease.

It almost doesn't matter what the Mac standards are if the top 2 word processors use a different set of keys. They define a standard that people know and are familiar with.

Since Apple really doesn't have a consistent standard for this, your logic must prevail.
Since MS Word is, by far, the most used Word Processor, even on a Mac, I now have to agree with your choice:

• CMD SHIFT >             increase selected text size
  • CMD SHIFT <             decrease selected text size

I've tried this out, and it actually works well from a keyboard usability perspective.  I can hold down CMD SHIFT with my left hand, and then toggle the > and < with my right hand.  Feels very natural.

So, I withdraw my earlier objection, and now agree with your choice.

(BTW, I suggest those of you who use Evernote a lot to do as I plan to do:  Change the shortcut of other apps to match Evernote for these shortcuts.  If the app does not directly support changes, you can always goto Mac > System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts and create the shortcut.)

Oh - seems to be a problem related to others than the english keyboard layout... We (german) have only one key to > and <, changing it by using the shift-key.

Maybe it should be an option inside Evernote preferences?

13 hours ago, SoftwareMarcus said:

I'm not able to reproduce this issue.  The Shift is required to increase or decrease files.

I have the same problem as @Schaumburg, one key for < and > so using 'shift' for some shortcut including < or > doesn't work.

I like the zoom feature but I would suggest that you don't zoom the margin ... it just means that the visible area get smaller and smaller. Keep the margin fixed and zoom the content of the note. See the screenshots

Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 15.47.48.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 15.48.06.png

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, Schaumburg said:

Oh - seems to be a problem related to others than the english keyboard layout... We (german) have only one key to > and <, changing it by using the shift-key.

I think that the actual shortcut, even for English keyboards, is CMD >  or CMD <

It is just that, for English keyboards, you have to press the SHIFT key to get either < or >.

So, the keyboard itself is just sending the keys as either CMD >  or  CMD <

I'm sure @SoftwareMarcus can confirm, or refute this assessment.

Archived