pdf's not syncing, no OCR

I have thousands of Pdfs that I have put into EN local. Most of these were created with PDF995. When I move the notebook from local to shared and do a sync the pdfs will not sync and therefore will not be ocred. What am I doing wrong? I am a premium user.

I just dragged an individual pdf from my file to a different notebook in shared(has always been in shared) and the pdf synced and ocred.

I guess I can't take a local folder and drag it to shared and expect it to be synced? This is going to be very tiresome if I can't do this as I like to verify all my info in local before doing the syncing.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, BlackCloud said:

When I move the notebook from local to shared and do a sync the pdfs will not sync

It works for me.
Is it just pdfs or does that apply to any attachment?

I added to my original note.

I only have pdf's. I dragged my local to shared and run a sync. Every note says "not synced" but when I take an individual not and drag it to a previously set up shared notebook it works...............................

• Level 5*
47 minutes ago, BlackCloud said:

When I move the notebook from local to shared

Can you explain how you're doing this.  My understanding is that we can't change this notebook setting.

• Level 5*
49 minutes ago, BlackCloud said:

This is going to be very tiresome if I can't do this as I like to verify all my info in local before doing the syncing.

It shouldn't be a big process.  
You can select all your notes at one time.  A batch box will open and you can move the notes in one mass move.

I just dragged the local to shared, EN allowed me to do this and no error messages.

Also, how do I turn on error messages. I never receive any. Examples: can't sync, note too large, getting close to monthly limit etc. I have looked around and can't find the option.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, BlackCloud said:

I just dragged the local to shared, EN allowed me to do this and no error messages.

>>When I move the notebook from local to shared

I can drag notes from a local notebook to a shared notebook
I can't drag notebooks.

I did the entire notebook. EN should block this or give me an error message of some sort. So I need to set up a shared notebook, select all the pdfs, let it sync and ocr, then drag all the files back to local. Correct?

How do I turn on error messages? Is this a glitch that I don't get any.

Thanks for all the help...................I have been very frustrated with EN, like the concept, I feel it needs a lot of maturing.

• Level 5*

I did the entire notebook. EN should block this or give me an error message of some sort. So I need to set up a shared notebook, select all the pdfs, let it sync and ocr, then drag all the files back to local. Correct?

You say you're dragging the notebook to "shared".  I don't understand that.

>>then drag all the files back to local.
Is there a reason you're doing this.  Why not leave them in the shared notebook.

I clicked on the local notebook and dragged it to shared, just like a file. I don't have internet all the time(live in an RV) and I have to pay for my uploads and downloads most of the time with my hotspot. If I keep them on local they are always accessible to me. Dragging the entire notebook is just easier by a few steps.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, BlackCloud said:

I clicked on the local notebook and dragged it to shared

My understanding  is that you can't drag a local notebook to shared

I don't even know what that means - I don't see shared in my Evernote.

• Level 5*

I don't know what you mean you don't see shared in EN. Why would you see anything. It's all keystrokes

>>I clicked on the local notebook and dragged it to shared

Got it - you're dragging a notebook

But where are you dragging it to - you said shared

• Level 5*
Just now, BlackCloud said:

Yes I have a section called local and a section called share

When you get a chance, can you post a screenshot - I'm having trouble visualizing this.

• Level 5*

Sounds like you are dragging notebooks between stacks.  A notebook remains local or synced not matter what stack it is in, so your PDFs wouldn't OCR.

You will need to move the notes from your local notebook to a synced notebook to get the OCR to work.  Then you can leave them in the synced notebook if you like.  You won't use any more of your upload allowance unless you modify the note.

• Level 5*
On January 31, 2016 at 7:41 AM, BlackCloud said:

>> If I keep them on local they are always accessible to me.

My understanding is that one of the "features" of the desktop platforms is that you always have a copy of your data with you.  You don't need an internet connection. This is not dependent on the notebook being local.

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Sounds like you are dragging notebooks between stacks.

Thats my impression too; I asked for a screenshot to be posted to verify this.

It points to a good reason not to name your stacks Local and Sync

OK I have done myself in. I have now created a notebook that is synced. When I try to drag my 3000 PDFs into it EN crashes. I guess the only way to get these to synr/ocr is to reimport them to the sync folder. Get them ocred and move the back to a local folder. I have 30000 PDFs that I would like to get ocred. I had planned on several months to do this. At this point is am reconsidering EN. This is my 3rd time around with EN as I would like to move off my previous method.

This time I did a lot of reading first but keep encountering gotchas.Next step will be to just play with 100 PDFs or so and see if EN works better on small quantities. I think EN will work better once I have everything loaded but getting there is a challenge                              Thanks for all the help

• Level 5*

You are welcome.

Yeah, I think finding the right number to move at a time would be the controlled way to do it.  Once you've synced then do another batch.  I have almost 15k PDFs in EN and haven't had any issues.  Of course I have accumulated those across time, not in one fell swoop. 

Again no reason to move them back to a local folder unless you have a particular reason.

• Level 5*

Don't know how much space 3,000 PDFs takes up,  but unless you have a premium account I'd bet that the total is well over the monthly upload limit,  and some PDFs may be over the individual note size limit too.  With any operation on a computer involving lots of files,  the two most important steps are:

1. backup your current files before you even start,  and after each step so you can easily recover from any mistakes,  and
  2. always try a couple of items first,  then if that works try a dozen,  then 50,  then 100...  build up in baby steps (and backups),  checking each time that things went OK.

In this case I'd say that item #2 applies double - check that moving a  note from a local notebook to a synced notebook works,  and have a look at the upload limit on your account each time.  If you get close to 80% or so of the limit,  then stop.  The upload limit means that very bad things can happen to your notes if you try to transfer a bunch of them but run out of space mid-way.  Treat it like a biohazard and stay well clear.  Moving that number of files may take some weeks (depending on your account) - or you could upgrade to Premium for a period to get it done quickly.

Check Evernote's system limits for your account,  and make sure you don't exceed the note size maximum either - split any files that are too large,  or look into shrinking the size.

OCR via Evernote's system takes a little while,  and there are some limits on that too - see Evernote's help sheet on that for details (and some trouble shooting tips).

• Level 5*
On 1/31/2016 at 0:32 PM, BlackCloud said:

Next step will be to just play with 100 PDFs or so and see if EN works better on small quantities.

Even better, start with just 1 PDF until you have a process that works well.

Then, maybe 10 PDFs at a time to see how Evernote responds to a load.

I don't think I would ever try all 3,000 PDFs at once. I'd move up from 10 to 50 to 100.  If 100 is going really well, then maybe 500.
I would not do more that 500 at one time.

You should also keep track of your monthly upload allowance, and make sure  you don't try an upload that would exceed it.

Finally, with 3,000 PDFs, it could take Evernote a long time to OCR.  And remember, Evernote OCR does NOT allow you to select/copy the OCR'd text.
Adobe has some batch processes that could OCR all of your PDFs.  With 3,000 PDFs, it may be worth the price to do it in batch, and therefore have very quick access to searching after uploading into Evernote, as well as to the OCR'd text.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Archived