Data Loss: All Notes lost their association with Notebooks and were dumped into a single Notebook called "Evernote"

Evernote Support wasn't really helpful so hoping for someone in the community to help.

I have thousands of business critical notes organized by notebooks (meeting minutes, weekly team meetings etc.). Suddenly I found that all of my notes were no longer in their respective notebooks but were magically moved into a new notebook (which I haven't seen before) called "Evernote". That way I lost my notes structure making it really hard if not impossible to work with my data inside Evernote. 

Stupidly I have no backup because I trusted Evernote, the physics of cloud data and sync across multiple devices. 

Anyone? 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, fire00 said:

Stupidly I have no backup because I trusted Evernote, the physics of cloud data and sync across multiple devices. 

Sorry, I don't have any help for you other than

• Check the web platform and verify your data problems.
    Sometimes the appearance of problems is because of a corruption on your local machine.
  • You posted this in the Mac forum - any chance you had Time Machine backup running.

This shows a common problem with backup plans.
I also trust Evernote's multi platforms (Mac/Ipad/Cloud-Servers),
but the automatic syncing can cause an error to be replicated to every platform. 
If not caught, it can even ruin any backups you have.
That's why the Mac Time Machine is such a valuable asset - without much thought or work on my part my data is backed up and I can restore to a multitude of time stamps.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, fire00 said:

Suddenly I found that all of my notes were no longer in their respective notebooks but were magically moved into a new notebook (which I haven't seen before) called "Evernote". That way I lost my notes structure making it really hard if not impossible to work with my data inside Evernote. 

Sorry to hear about your problem.  However, it did not happen "magically", and I really doubt that the Evernote app caused it to happen.

The only notebook I have seen Evernote automatically create is when you first create a new account.  I believe it is named something like <YourUserName>'s Notebook.  So in my case that would have been "JMichaelTX's Notebook".

I'm sure you don't want this to happen again.  So I would suggest you carefully examine your workflow to determine how it might have accidently happened.  Does anyone else have access to your account?  Are these shared notebooks?

You can also examine your Help > Activity Log to see when this might have happened.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Archived