Ctrl + S deletes scanned attachments?

Hi,

I add documents with a Fujitsu Scan Snap to Evernote for Windows.

Then I change the title or something else and press Ctrl + S like in other Windows applications to save the changes.

When I open another note and go back to the new note, the scanned pdf is deleted.

Can anyone confirm this behaviour? 

Can I change this behaviour? Why does Ctrl + S delete scanned attachments? It doesn't delete attachments added with drag and drop for example.

Thanks - André

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, AndreM said:

press Ctrl + S like in other Windows applications to save the changes.

I usually don't worry about doing a "save", it seems to happen automatically.  
On the Mac, its command-save, but I never use it.

Well, it is not a problem that Ctrl + S doesn't save the note. The problem is that it deletes the scanned documents. Once in a while I don't recognize this, what could be a problem if I shredded the original document.

So: Is it a bug that Ctrl + S removes scanned documents?

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, AndreM said:

Then I change the title or something else and press Ctrl + S like in other Windows applications to save the changes.

There is no "Save" function in EN Win 5.9.6 that I can see, nor do I see "CTRL+S" as a shortcut for anything.
So I don't know what CTRL+S is doing on your system.  Perhaps it is a global shortcut for something else.  
So, the solution for you is to stop doing "CTRL+S".
See What are the keyboard shortcuts in Evernote for Windows? 

IAC, a "Save" is NOT needed in Evernote.  What is needed is sync.  Manual sync is F9.

Screen Shot of EN Win 5.9.6 --- Don't see "Save" or "CTRL+S" anywhere:

EN-Win-5.9.6-File-Menu.png

I know there is no "Save" function in Evernote. But I use it in every other windows application, so I sometimes inadvertently try in Evernote. 

I just found out that it also works with added pdf documents: Drag a pdf document to create a new note. Then press Ctrl + S, switch to another note and switch back to the new note. The pdf attachment is missing now. 

Can anyone reproduce this?

This behaviour is very dangerous for people who just try to save the new note as they do in every other windows application.

Ctrl + S seems also to set the note to be synched like in the image (pic en.png), but it also removes the attachment.

I can still see the preview, but the document itself isn't there anymore (pic en2.png).

This doesn't happen with other file types.

Thanks - André

en.png

en2.png

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, AndreM said:

I know there is no "Save" function in Evernote. But I use it in every other windows application, so I sometimes inadvertently try in Evernote. 

I agree with you that this is an error.  I don't understand why pressing Ctrl-S would cause these problems.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, AndreM said:

I just found out that it also works with added pdf documents: Drag a pdf document to create a new note. Then press Ctrl + S, switch to another note and switch back to the new note. The pdf attachment is missing now.

I just tested this in EN Win 5.9.6 on Win7 Pro x64, and it did NOT cause the PDF to go missing or deleted.

• Attached PDF
  • Press CTRL+S
  • Switch to another Note
  • Press CTRL+s
  • Switch back to original note
  • PDF still there
  • Press CTRL+S again -- has no effect

I think you may have some other app that has set CTRL+S as a global shortcut, and is adversely affecting EN Win.
Until/IF other users report this same behavior with CTRL+S, I would suspect it is local to your setup.

Archived