(Archived) Observations by a new user

Just got the new Evernote beta after seeing it in ZDNet, and I'm liking what I'm seeing so far :).

The OCR is cool, but some tweaks would be nice: After all, like all OCR software it makes mistakes.

A few of areas that really seem to cause it to fail:

• [*:68918]Sometimes it has troubles if the background is gray or the contrast is low. Also, minor variances due to imperfect lighting affects it.
    [*:68918]Phone numbers with the area code in parenthesis, which is common in the USA. It's not uncommon for a number to be written like this: (800) 555-1099, but often the number in parenthesis is problematic, and sometimes the dash is as well.
    [*:68918]Periods and commas seem to give it problems. The search box should probably search for variants without punctuation.

But that's all understandable. OCR is a pretty tough technology. What I'd really like to see is the ability to change the detected text after it has gone through the recognition process. It's pretty impossible to tell what is detected properly without manually searching for every word on the image. That's pretty annoying.

Also, I got to play with the mobile version on my Palm T|X. It works, but again there's a couple of things that could be improved:

• [*:68918]The images in the search results should, in my opinion, link to larger images. While making them small saves bandwidth on a mobile device, they're impossible to read.
    [*:68918]For some reason, there's an "Open source file" link beneath my images that links to a DOS path? That makes no sense, and obviously doesn't work!

Edit: And oh, yeah - what do I need for "View in Google Earth" to work? I don't seem to have any success with it.

Other than that, it works great! I look forward to using it in the future :).

Edit: And oh, yeah - what do I need for "View in Google Earth" to work? I don't seem to have any success with it.

Drop a picture which has geographic coordinates embedded in EXIF, onto Evernote, synchronize it to the server, the recognition data with the coordinates should be passed back to the client, and you will be able to view such a note in Google Earth, if you have it installed. This functionality is raw at the moment: we need to fix couple of issues there, and will extract EXIF data locally on the client, so your pictures will be instantly ready to use with 'View in Google Earth' feature once dropped onto the tape.

Oh, I was thinking it would do something like addresses, which Google Earth also handles. Doesn't sound terribly useful then, as I don't really have a way of getting good geographic coordinates and embedding them in EXIF.

Oh, I was thinking it would do something like addresses, which Google Earth also handles. Doesn't sound terribly useful then, as I don't really have a way of getting good geographic coordinates and embedding them in EXIF.

This is primarily for those having cameras/smartphones with GPS. This is done automatically there.

Archived