Tags in handwritten documents

NanoPhD

Idea

While at meetings I like to hand write my notes and then scan them into Evernote via taking pictures on my phone app.  I've recently found myself wanting Evernote to automatically add tags to the note based on what I write in my notebook.  Here is an example.  I keep a tag for most people I encounter in my daily life.  If they are in a meeting with me, I'll tag them in the note when I create it so I can quickly find what I've collaborated with them on.  I would like this to be an automatic process for all hashtag markings i.e. If I write something to the effect of #Joe_Smith or #Confidential on my paper, when I scan it into Evernote it would automatically put the tag "Joe Smith" and "Confidential" on the note.  The # is just a relatable  example, but could be any identifiable marking, possibly even user determined.   

I guess before I put this up as a feature request I should if this is already possible and I'm just not aware of how to implement it?   

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

You might want to read up on the Moleskine/Evernote smart stickers at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208431458

Other than that, I know of nothing available.  Auto-tagging has been discussed, but this is the first time I've seen it mentioned in a handwriting context.  I'm not sure how accurate this would be; my handwriting is barely legible.

• Level 5*

If you're just going to write '#Joe Smith' and expect a tag JOE SMITH,  I don't think that's feasible.  Handwritten word recognition in scans is approximate at best,  and you're going to get a bunch of random names around variations on a theme.  Plus multiple and different tags if you write the same name several times.  If you want your notes to have a correct and consistent tag strategy you're going to have to spend the time to set up peoples' name in your tag hierarchy,  and apply the appropriate tag to your written notes. 

On 1/30/2016 at 7:11 PM, gazumped said:

If you're just going to write '#Joe Smith' and expect a tag JOE SMITH,  I don't think that's feasible.  Handwritten word recognition in scans is approximate at best,  and you're going to get a bunch of random names around variations on a theme.  Plus multiple and different tags if you write the same name several times.  If you want your notes to have a correct and consistent tag strategy you're going to have to spend the time to set up peoples' name in your tag hierarchy,  and apply the appropriate tag to your written notes. 

You're 100% correct. In you're case I don't think an expected tag of JOE SMITH to be populated. Due to whitespace  between "JOE" and "SMITH" I would expect the tag to be JOE and I do think that is feasible.  And you are also correct that there may be the possibility of multiple variations based on handwriting quality, but to me these are technical challenges and not deal breakers.  Handwriting recognition gets more advanced daily.  To me Evernote stands for efficiency and I refuse to believe that the most efficient way would be to go back an manually select. I don't believe this because that is exactly what I am doing now.   I'm not a programmer and I don't play one on the internet, but I would even love to see something like inline replacement tags (see attachments) and when I search for that tag it will bring me right to the location in the note.   I understand that this is not a trivial request, it could not be implemented overnight and  technical hurdles would need to be overcome, but it is a request none the less. If an idea is never vocalized then Evernote may not see that a market exists for it.Evernote_Snapshot_autotag_BA.thumb.png.e

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Surge123 said:

Any progress on it?

Not exactly a huge crowd here demanding action,  so I'd guess the idea is in a 'pending' folder somewhere.  Even if it were in development and due to be released next week Evernote don't (usually) comment on stuff like that...

On 2/1/2016 at 5:48 PM, NanoPhD said:

You're 100% correct. In you're case I don't think an expected tag of JOE SMITH to be populated. Due to whitespace  between "JOE" and "SMITH" I would expect the tag to be JOE and I do think that is feasible.  And you are also correct that there may be the possibility of multiple variations based on handwriting quality, but to me these are technical challenges and not deal breakers.  Handwriting recognition gets more advanced daily.  To me Evernote stands for efficiency and I refuse to believe that the most efficient way would be to go back an manually select. I don't believe this because that is exactly what I am doing now.   I'm not a programmer and I don't play one on the internet, but I would even love to see something like inline replacement tags (see attachments) and when I search for that tag it will bring me right to the location in the note.   I understand that this is not a trivial request, it could not be implemented overnight and  technical hurdles would need to be overcome, but it is a request none the less. If an idea is never vocalized then Evernote may not see that a market exists for it.Evernote_Snapshot_autotag_BA.thumb.png.e

Big +1 for this idea. Also, it would be great to be able to have custom symbols linked to specific functions. This could include $<notebook>, *<action>, or %<reminder>.

Archived