Keyboard Shortcuts!

dcbahr

Idea

Hi. Could you PLEASE implement keyboard shortcuts into the next release of EN Web Beta? As a totally blind computer user, I can't use the Windows desktop version fully and the Ios version won't let me edit a note with Voiceover once I've created it. And the current web version has no shortcuts. This has been brought up before on the forum, and if you put the shortcuts in, I might be able to use the application fully. It's admittedly frustrating to have to devise hacks that are sketchy at best to use a program that is so widely used and convenient. I see so much potential and ways to improve accessibility, I really want to help in that arena. But I feel like I have to beg for keyboard shortcuts, when I know that others who are keyboard-based users could benefit from them as well.

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, dcbahr said:

I can't use the Windows desktop version fully

Why?  
Just wondering - I would have thought the desktop version would be friendlier for a vision impaired person.

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

Why?  
Just wondering - I would have thought the desktop version would be friendlier for a vision impaired person.

Because the view that EN uses to display their notes is unreadable to Every screen reader out there. i've tried them all, even with OCR it doesn't work. It's labeled as a class called WebViewHost and it doesn't seem to employ any sort of browser-like functionality, say, like, an html5 window might. So I can't interact with it like a normal webpage. It's just an unknown control type and reclassing the window as an edit box or rich edit box doesn't give me any feedback either. It's very frustrating because I don't know how to get around it. Other than that, the desktop app works fine. If I could render that WebViewHost as something that Window-Eyes could read, like a regular webpage (so I could use html-esque navigation hotkeys), then we'd really be getting somewhere.

Because the view that EN uses to display their notes is unreadable to Every screen reader out there. i've tried them all, even with OCR it doesn't work. It's labeled as a class called WebViewHost and it doesn't seem to employ any sort of browser-like functionality, say, like, an html5 window might. So I can't interact with it like a normal webpage. It's just an unknown control type and reclassing the window as an edit box or rich edit box doesn't give me any feedback either. It's very frustrating because I don't know how to get around it. Other than that, the desktop app works fine. If I could render that WebViewHost as something that Window-Eyes could read, like a regular webpage (so I could use html-esque navigation hotkeys), then we'd really be getting somewhere.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, dcbahr said:

If I could render that WebViewHost as something that Window-Eyes could read, like a regular webpage (so I could use html-esque navigation hotkeys), then we'd really be getting somewhere.

>Window-Eyes for the vision impaired

Thanks for sharing that.  I've learned something - I was thinking you just used magnified screens.
I've up voted this more as an accessibility request than just generic shortcut keys.

Archived