Evernote formatting is buggy and terrible... is it just me?

I LOVE evernote... can't live without it... but as I start to use it for more than just scans and clippings.... I have the WORST time with formatting in Evernote... it's absurd... it's the type of stuff I expect in cheapo, immature app... but evernote in pretty much all other ways seems extremely mature... so I don't understand why such simple things dont work well...

Example

Right now I am making a checklist note... (It's a labor hospital bag checklist)... been working on it for a few months... adding things as we think of it... I have a couple sections... each with a new list of checkboxes... randomly... my note... or parts of it get all messed up... like there will be new lines between checkbox and text, so it goes

line with checkbox and no text

line with text

line with text

etc

I put the cursor AFTER the check box and hit DELETE (NOT BACKSPACE) and it deletes the check box... 

OK... that SHOULD work... but it doesn't... whatever... not a huge deal... i'll just try another way... so instead I try putting the cursor at the start of a text line and hit BACKSPACE... it deletes the line break AND the check box... groan...

Forget it... I'll just delete all the check boxes and start over... so I delete all the check boxes... I just have a list of items one per line... highlight them all and click the check box button... and I'm back where I started... 

line with text

line with text

etc

At this point I'm getting pretty annoyed... If this was an isolated incident I would not care... but stuff like this seems to be the norm... I have had SO MUCH TROUBLE with this note over the past few months... I don't know if it has anything to do with editing on my android phone app sometimes or not... but even so, the various apps should be compatible!!

Other problems include pasting stuff from other sources and the text being ridiculously large, or other various problems with line breaks from pasted text. 

Am I the only one?  At first I just let it go and figure it's bugs that will get worked out... but I have been using the app for years now and it still sucks at this... and this one note, which I have been working on adding things here and there for months has pushed me over the edge... so curious if others have problems, and if so any way to fix this?  And/or are the bug fixes in the works for this stuff?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5*

Hi.  I can understand your frustration,  but due respect - once it starts to be annoying,  just stop banging your head!  Quite a few of us (I think) use Workflowy for outlines and lists because it does that really well,  is available from any browser and can be copied and pasted into Evernote if/ when required.  Evernote is improving its editor software,  but it still has a ways to go to get something that will work in any support OS on every supported device.  I'm grateful for the stuff it does well - for everything else there's workarounds...

• Like 2

Lol :-) Yea... banging my head on a wall was getting tiring which landed me here looking for advice.  Thanks for the tip!  Workflowy looks pretty snazzy, I might have to give it a try... I do hope evernote gets their act together though... (or there are perhaps some tips/workarounds I can use in the meantime)... I do like having evernote has my universal reference material app.  One search box for everything.  I suppose until then though I may have to add workflowy as another app to organize my life.  

Question about workflowy... I see I can hover and click complete... but can I get checkboxs for easy one tap completion on my phone?  Part of what I want with this labor bag list is to be able to easy check things off as I pack last minute items.... 

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
On 1/26/2016 at 8:54 PM, Glyph said:

I LOVE evernote... can't live without it... but as I start to use it for more than just scans and clippings.... I have the WORST time with formatting in Evernote... it's absurd... it's the type of stuff I expect in cheapo, immature app... but evernote in pretty much all other ways seems extremely mature... so I don't understand why such simple things dont work well...

What versions of OS and Evernote are you running?

EN Win seems to be having more issues with this than EN Mac.  I'm running EN Mac 6.4 on Yosemite (10.10.5), and rarely have formatting issues like this.

Evernote is in the process of developing and rolling out a new common editor.  You might voice your issues in one of these threads:

11 hours ago, Glyph said:

Thanks!  I'm on windows.  I guess that might be part of my problem... I commented on the Evernote Windows thread to point them here to read about my problems if they want. 

HI

I would like to help with the formatting issues you currently having with Windows.  Can you give me some details on the windows problems you are seeing?, so I can help our and/or take up the issues with Dev & Design to improve the experience.

If you don't wish to share all the issues here, my direct email is "J Miller at Evernote Dot Com" <-making it confusing for any bots skimming for email addresses 

If you email please mention this posting in the subject, so I can find your remail faster. 

J

• Like 1

Hey - thanks!  First - while I have your attention... Evernote is great, except for these formatting issues and one other non-related thing... The glaring and absurdly missing feature.... encrypted notebooks!  I want the ability to encrypt a whole notebook so I can put sensitive notes there and have them protected from other eyes but still have them sync.  I'd prefer this feature be implemented, so that I have option (per notebook) to either require password each time I see notebook (i.e. protect it from you/cloud and from other people on my own PC), or to only require the password the first time I open the notebook on a new PC, so that it's really just to protect it from you/cloud. (i.e. others on my PC could see it... but I don't have to futz around with entering a password everytime I want to see it... but you (evernote) still have zero knowledge)  I see no reason this feature should not be implemented.  If you offer local notebooks and encrypting parts of notes... you should offer encrypted notebooks... they would be like local notebooks except they sync! and I don't have to worry about backing up in case my PC crashes. 

OK - with that out of the way...

So, the issue described in OP is the main one I am having now. (quoted below)  I described that one in detail.  Other problems I don't recall the details I just know the often involve pasting stuff from other sources and the text being ridiculously large, or formatted strange... editing causes strange results...  or other various problems with line breaks from pasted text. 

It reminds me of some web page wiki rich text editors... where it seems like the underlying html is not being edited in an intelligent way.  Resulting in strange spans or font tags, etc.  

One thing I will say regarding my original problem is that I was poking around and found the "simplify formatting" option.  performing this caused the issue described below to go away.  Since then I have not pasted anything.  (I mostly use evernote for page scans from scansnap, and web clippings using chrome addon... I actually don't do much manual pasting/editing... which means that the issues i have are far and few between... but it seems like a large percentage of manually manipulated notes) But the next time I do and have an issue, I will try the simplify formatting again... perhaps that will help me.  (Might be nice to have that as a button just like bold/italics/strike through, etc for one click mouse access)

In any case - I will post back here (or wherever you like) to describe issues in detail as they come up... or actually I use Jing/screencast a lot so I could even post a video link showing the issue in action.  My reports may be few and far between though because I don't do manual editing much, but I am happy to report if you tell me the best place. 

Thanks again. 

Right now I am making a checklist note... (It's a labor hospital bag checklist)... been working on it for a few months... adding things as we think of it... I have a couple sections... each with a new list of checkboxes... randomly... my note... or parts of it get all messed up... like there will be new lines between checkbox and text, so it goes

line with text

line with text

etc

I put the cursor AFTER the check box and hit DELETE (NOT BACKSPACE) and it deletes the check box... 

OK... that SHOULD work... but it doesn't... whatever... not a huge deal... i'll just try another way... so instead I try putting the cursor at the start of a text line and hit BACKSPACE... it deletes the line break AND the check box... groan...

Forget it... I'll just delete all the check boxes and start over... so I delete all the check boxes... I just have a list of items one per line... highlight them all and click the check box button... and I'm back where I started... 

line with text

line with text

etc

At this point I'm getting pretty annoyed... If this was an isolated incident I would not care... but stuff like this seems to be the norm... I have had SO MUCH TROUBLE with this note over the past few months... I don't know if it has anything to do with editing on my android phone app sometimes or not... but even so, the various apps should be compatible!!

• Thanks 1

I just found a new issue... this one is very minor... not really the type of thing I would call "buggy"... this is more just "not polished"... but since we are on the subject and it just happened I figured I would share...

When there is a long text next to a checkbox the wrapping text should start where the previous line above starts... instead if starts where the checkbox starts... this looks ugly.  (It looks like your bullet and numbered lists do this correctly... but not the checkboxes.)

formatting.png.162125ecd13e13c9a755197c3

formatting2.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi  

I filed tracking tickets with Dev for these issues - the first (the delete key & backspace key) is our behavior vs what many other apps, thus is the "expected" behavior.  The second issue is are bad handling of world wrapping.  

As for your question, I now get all replies to this thread in my email, so I will any future things you are others post on the subject.  Please keep reporting things. 

J

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

I would like to help with the formatting issues you currently having with Windows.

@Jason Miller, I'd just like to say thanks for offering this great customer support.  It is very good to see you in these forums.  I hope this is an example of the level of support Evernote will continue to offer in the future.

• Like 5

Agree with poster, I am patiently waiting for note editing to be improved.  Many times I will try to use Evernote during a meeting but always end up spending too much time adjusting formatting issues. Seeing the recommendation to use workflowy and copy/pasting  notes, I searched for out liners that integrate with Evernote and found Xwavessoft Cound Outliner (IPad and Mac only).   Downloaded and works awesome.  Syncs all outlines and notes perfectly with Evernote.   Will use the IPad version and may end up buy the Mac version.  For iPad users I would check it out. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, DvcRob said:

I searched for out liners that integrate with Evernote and found Xwavessoft Cound Outliner (IPad and Mac only).   Downloaded and works awesome

I had a hard time finding this product.  For those interested, see:
Cloud Outliner 2 Pro for Mac

It looks cool, but can't tell for sure with just the screenshot.  Need video and trial version.

13 hours ago, DvcRob said:

Agree with poster, I am patiently waiting for note editing to be improved.  Many times I will try to use Evernote during a meeting but always end up spending too much time adjusting formatting issues. Seeing the recommendation to use workflowy and copy/pasting  notes, I searched for out liners that integrate with Evernote and found Xwavessoft Cound Outliner (IPad and Mac only).   Downloaded and works awesome.  Syncs all outlines and notes perfectly with Evernote.   Will use the IPad version and may end up buy the Mac version.  For iPad users I would check it out. 

Thanks for the recommendation, I will take a look

In addition to not being able to create the type of outlines you want in Evernote.  What other features or improvements would you like to see in Evernote note editing?

J

1 hour ago, Jason Miller said:

What other features or improvements would you like to see in Evernote...

Apologies to be redundant... but I realized you never actually acknowledged my other feature suggestion above... and since this thread has your attention I want to make 100% sure you saw it since it was amidst my huge post...

ENCRYPTED NOTEBOOKS... 

I quite literally have on my RTM list every 6 months to look for Evernote competitors who might offer this along with a good enough set of features that I can abandon Evernote for a product that makes it easier to both have privacy when needed, and cloud convenience.  Your only options for privacy are local notebooks (no cloud backup) or encrypting bits of text I must type a password every time I want to see (Onerous) and I can't encrypt attachments or photos, so no could backup/sync for those if they need to stay private. 

I need to be able to just create notes in a protected/encrypted notebook.  Evernote/you have zero knowledge.  Yet I can access them freely and without password on my own PC/phone if I so choose. (of course I know I would need to enter the password once... I just mean not every time... unless I choose that)

See previous post for more details about how I think it should be done.  

Please.... please... tell me this feature is on the roadmap... Fix that and note formatting, and you probably have me locked in for life... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
4 minutes ago, Glyph said:

ENCRYPTED NOTEBOOKS... 

Since we're going off topic.

My request would be less extensive.  Currently EN allows the encryption of text within a note.  This excludes attachments like pdfs and images.  I'm not happy with the extra work to complete my note encryption.

Just now, Jason Miller said:

Sorry about that, it was actually the first thing I passed on to the Product Manager for Windows - who has happy to get the feedback and feature idea.  Thank you

J

Great - thanks!  I know this has been suggested in the past... what's the status?  Is it on the road-map?  Is it at least a planned feature?  Under serious consideration?  

• Thanks 1

The Product Manager likes the idea.  It is added to the list of possible features, and will be taken to the team (since the new feature would have to be supported cross-platform to really work well within Evernote)

I don't know the timeline for evaluating the feature (must less actually doing it) - but it is out there for consideration at least.

J

18 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

I'm sure that this does not go as far as you would like, but at least there is some progress on encryption.
See [EN] Security - Change in Encryption Process -- Rich Tener, head of EN Security 

Thanks... Good to know... I didn't even realize the whole not history issue... that's a HUGE glaring problem...

My main thing is this... I don't need to encrypt most text on my pc... I don't let people log into my windows profile... and if anyone who ever uses my PC might know how to get to files of a different user, it would be me... Basically... the people I want to protect my note from is the Cloud/evernote.    Which is why I want something completely different.  A notebook that remains unencrypted and fully searchable on my own PC... I can access with no password (except the first time when I login initially)... but that is encrypted before sending up to the cloud such that evernote employees could never access it.  

I know that

#1 this might mean no image text search because I think OCR is done in the cloud... I'm fine with that.

#2 Some people DO want the notes to be stored encrypted locally, which is why I recommend 2 types of encrypted notebooks.  Fully encrypted. (requires password every time you want to open the notebook) and cloud encrypted... works like any other notebook in your local PC app, but is encrypted such that evernote (the company) could never read the note on their servers. (Much like how my lastpass works... I leave it unlocked on my personal PC profile that I never let anyone use... so I can early search and use it... but lastpass the company still has zero knowledge) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...

Picking back up on this thread-- I have experienced really frustrating formatting issues with Evernote. Randomly, if I am typing in italics or bold, if I cross a certain word threshold the formatting starts to go wonky-- it will take off the italics or bold on the entire section or portions of my text. It seems related to word count, but sometimes if I go back and undo/redo it a few times, the formatting sticks. This also happens if I select text and then apply italics/bold (not just typing in italics/bold).

• Like 1
On 4/10/2016 at 11:17 AM, RGJ said:

Picking back up on this thread-- I have experienced really frustrating formatting issues with Evernote. Randomly, if I am typing in italics or bold, if I cross a certain word threshold the formatting starts to go wonky-- it will take off the italics or bold on the entire section or portions of my text. It seems related to word count, but sometimes if I go back and undo/redo it a few times, the formatting sticks. This also happens if I select text and then apply italics/bold (not just typing in italics/bold).

One thing I didn't realize that helped me was "simplify formatting".  If you right click in a note you should see the option... I think it tells the shortcut too... it ctrl+space for simplify formatting and ctrl+shift+space to remove formatting... If you don't need any formatting the latter is great... if yuo want to keep some formatting, but are having issues after pasting from web or something like that the simplify formatting can be a life saver... it's a bit of a hacky work around... but I have found it helpful until evernote gets it's editor in gear. 

• 1 month later...
Hi, 
I use Evernote as a work journal where each day is separated by a horizontal line and comprises a nested bulletted list.
For the last few months, I have been experiencing some frustrating automatic reformatting behaviour when I go back to a note: 
  1. Within bullet points I often use shift-Return to start a new line without creating a new bullet point. A few days later and all these new lines have lost their indentation and now start on the left edge.
  2. On one of my notes, all the horizontal lines got mysteriously replaced by bullet points.
  3. Sometimes I'm unable to use the delete or backspace keys between bullet points.
Also, a great new feature would be the ability to create anchors, so that one can link to a specific place in a note.

I'm using the Evernote app 6.0.6.1769 (Public 301769) on Windows 7 Professional (and v7.8.2 on my Android phone).

Cheers.
  • Level 5*
On May 31, 2016 at 8:01 AM, free-the-tree said:
I use Evernote as a work journal where each day is separated by a horizontal line and comprises a nested bulletted list.
For the last few months, I have been experiencing some frustrating automatic reformatting behaviour when I go back to a note: 

My approach has been a separate note for each day.

I use a template to get started

I try to avoid lengthy notes like your journal process.

I also archive my notes in PDF format - it seems better protection against corruption.

A disadvantage to my process is that I can't scroll down to see entries from previous days.

When pasting into Evernote use Ctrl + Shift + V to paste without formatting. This will solve the problem you stated. I will also use the default font and formatting allowing you to layout your document as you would like.

17 hours ago, DTLow said:

My approach has been a separate note for each day.

I use a template to get started

I try to avoid lengthy notes like your journal process.

I also archive my notes in PDF format - it seems better protection against corruption.

A disadvantage to my process is that I can't scroll down to see entries from previous days.

Thanks, for the advice, Guru. 

I like to keep the days together in a month as, like you say, it's easier to scroll to previous days. But mainly, if I do a search, I feel I can find things more easily without opening multiple notes. I'll experiment with it though and see if it makes things easier.

I'll also give templates and PDF archiving a try too.

Cheers.

In the latest version of the Android app, the Undo-function had been moved into the editing menu. This is really inconvenient and annoying. Please bring it back to the "front page" so I can reach it easily even I make a mistake. 

Also, from the latest version pasted text changes font size between cut and paste. If I cut a sentence from the end of a paragraph and paste it into the middle of the same paragraph the inserted text changes to a smaller font. Is this related to Evernote or my keyboard app, Swype? 

• 1 month later...

My biggest issue with Evernote is transferring what I've written in a note into a new wordpress post I'm creating. The formatting comes out nothing like I had it in Evernote. There are paragraphs where there were no paragraphs. There are hyphens where there were no hyphens. Sometimes there are no paragraphs where there were paragraphs. I mean, for as amazing as Evernote is, I think this is a horrible issue. I would really love to see you guys fix this issue. Please. Because I love Evernote and don't want to use anything else, but this is becoming a pain in my ass. I have to reformat the document every time using word or pages. Delete everything I originally posted in my wordpress post as to get rid of whatever buggy code is now in the document due to Evernote formatting, and then paste everything from Word/Pages back into the new wordpress post. 

Ugh.

I've attached an example. You can see where there are paragraphs and hyphens, and those weren't there originally when I wrote it. 

PS... Hope you don't mind the writing ;-)

Screen Shot 2016-08-02 at 3.42.03 PM.png

Hi Kurshot

Sorry for the formatting problems.  How is the information being posted from EN to wordpress - emailed?  Autoposting using an IFTTT recipe? or cut and paste from EN to Wordpress?

And I am guessing you are using the latest version of EN Mac  (I could be wrong) which currently has CE 1.0.x which will be updated in the near future to CE 1.5 which will help with some of the formatting issues.

J

On August 3, 2016 at 4:10 PM, Kurshot said:

Copy and paste from EN to Wordpress. And I'm running the latest OSX and latest EN update.

Doesn't help much, but I was able to Copy from EN Mac to WP (inside Safari) without a problem, I did get some word wrapping issues after posting, but it might be related to my WP Theme.  So I might be missing a step

Running EN Mac latest on 10.11.5

Image 1 - Text in EN.png

Image 2 - Test in WP Editor.png

Image 3 - Published Text.png

What other features or improvements would you like to see in Evernote note editing?

for evernote windows:
- a source code button. 
- a reset  formatting button (really working..)
- simple heading formatting (h1 to h6)
- table formatting (spacing, padding..)
- custom color for highlight  (or just use another color ... because yellow is the same of the search results and this is really confusing)

On August 12, 2016 at 7:13 PM, xaa said:

for evernote windows:
- a source code button. 
- a reset  formatting button (really working..)
- simple heading formatting (h1 to h6)
- table formatting (spacing, padding..)
- custom color for highlight  (or just use another color ... because yellow is the same of the search results and this is really confusing)

Thanks for the feedback, I shared the suggestions with our Product Manager - some of these features are in the works.  Currently I don't have a time frame or release schedule.

J

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Jason,

1st thanks for your involvement in a forum and being the go between us and support / dev

"So, the issue described in OP is the main one I am having now. (quoted below)  I described that one in detail.  Other problems I don't recall the details I just know the often involve pasting stuff from other sources and the text being ridiculously large, or formatted strange... editing causes strange results...  or other various problems with line breaks from pasted text. "

this is my big problem.  As all have said, love scan, email, clip in.  But cut and paste - frustrating.

while don't expect miracles, this thread has been going on since Jan and it is now Sep and what seems simple to implement isn't 

1. even the editor for this form seems to have more features than evernote
  2. mentioned it think (show code) - would love to see something as simple as in word - button - show format on/off (then at least we could see what was causing the problem)
  3. this editor (forum) doesn't cap 1st word after . Or new line (example is not cap at start of my paras
  4. sorry lets stick to EN (and maybe somewhat random and I am typing quick here) - just get the basics right - maintain list numbering, 
  5. i actually googled "Evernote text format in note" and this topic / forum came up 1st. So be it iPad or win or make, I don't want to have to add an app to do basic editing., and I use iOS, Mac and win platforms and understand differences in key struck and commands, but delete is delete and backspace is backspace, new line is just that, and if I want parra I add back to back new line, not have space line inserted.  Sorry a bit disjointed but caught off guard that my search hey a source of reporting that is exactly what was looking for 
  6. went to test formatting & clear on my iPad (am out at moment) and no size / font change on iPad editor bR in EN - bug, operator error or IOS issue?

again, sorry if disjointed. Will bookmark this note and revisit when time & at Windows.

Thanks

Larry

2016SP11 11:00 Sydney

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Larry_C said:

what seems simple to implement isn't

Uh yeah. If it actually were simple, rather than just seeming to be, they probably would have fixed it by now. But there's reality, and there's appearances. We all want better and more reliable formatting and editing. They do too. They're working on it. 

Thought I'd add to the fray with some simply live examples.

1. Test of numbers list
  2. Test of numbers list

• Test of bulleted list

Result of "remove formating" on above -

- Test of numbers list
- Test of numbers list

- Test of bulleted list

[if remove is remove, why are the dashes still in ?  To reverse remove formatting I should be able to apply formatting and get the same - nope (notice "-" still in !)

1. - Test of numbers list
  2. - Test of numbers list

• - Test of bulleted list

------ Start of insert of email
Numbers
Inbox
x
profile_mask2.png
L
4 Aug
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif
Hi L

numbers are as follows:

P               1
V       2
J         1
L           2
H          1
B           2

TOTAL 9

Thats how they stand at the moment.

See you Tuesday.

L

------ End of insert of email 

------ Start of insert of email (same as above but now "simplify formatting" applied)
Numbers
Inbox
x
profile_mask2.png
L
4 Aug

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to mecleardot.gif
Hi L,

numbers are as follows:

P               1
V       2
J         1
L           2
H          1
B           2

TOTAL 9

See you Tuesday.

L

------ End of insert of email (same as above but now "simplify formatting" applied)

NOW at least I can see that there appear to text in tables in the email, but if that's "simply" OK.

-------- Start if email with simply formating made "remove formatting"
Numbers

Inbox

x

L

4 Aug

to me

Hi L,

numbers are as follows:

P               1
V       2
J         1
L           2
H          1
B           2

TOTAL 9

See you Tuesday.

L
--------------- End 

[Guess that's better.  More coming with a web clip.

Now this may not be an editor issue, as it was web clipped as an article, but maybe Jason can comment / assist with this as well.

Note the overlap on the "Inside Premier status' list with the "Premier benefits chart".  Will try using "simplify article" or maybe "clearly"

Premier benefits and more

The more you fly, the sooner you'll achieve Premier status.

The more you fly United, United Express® and select MileagePlus partners, the sooner you'll achieve Premier status, which gives additional benefits to our most active members. These include bonus award miles, upgrades, priority travel services, fee waivers, discounts and benefits when traveling with Star AllianceTM member airlines.

Inside Premier® status

Premier benefits chart

Benefit Premier Silver Premier Gold Premier Platinum Premier 1K®
Economy Plus seating benefits1
Complimentary access to Economy Plus At check-in At booking At booking At booking
Economy Plus companions 1 1 8 8
Upgrades
Complimentary Premier Upgrades      
Complimentary Premier Upgrades companion upgrades        
Complimentary Premier Upgrades confirmation (as early as) Day of departure 48 hours 72 hours 96 hours
Instant upgrades on Y- or B-class full-fare economy tickets        
Instant upgrades on M-class economy tickets        
Regional Premier Upgrades eligibility        
Global Premier Upgrades eligibility        
Premier mileage bonuses2
500 PQM minimum accrual        
Award miles on United and United Express and select partner airlines (includes Premier bonus award miles) 7 × fare3 8 × fare3 9 × fare3 11 × fare3
Premier priority travel services, including Premier Access®4
Priority check-in        
Priority security screening, where offered        
Priority boarding privileges        
Priority baggage handling        
Premier Priority Desk phone line       1K 1Call dedicated line
Access to most sold-out flights        
Lounge access when traveling internationally        
Discounts and waivers on service charges and fees
Complimentary checked baggage allowance for economy tickets5 1 bag at 50 lbs. (23 kg) 2 bags at 70 lbs. (32 kg) each5 3 bags at 70 lbs. (32 kg) each 3 bags at 70 lbs. (32 kg) each
Discounted or waived same-day flight changes        
Discounted United Club℠ membership rates        
Discounted or waived phone service charge        
10% discount on inflight Duty Free purchases        
Award travel benefits
Priority award waitlisting        
Standby for international awards        
Unrestricted access to United Standard Awards on United- and United Express-operated flights        
Better availability for United Saver Awards in economy        
Better availability for United Saver Awards in select premium cabins        
Reduced or waived close-in award booking fee        
Reduced or waived award redeposit fee        
Reduced or waived award change fee        

Travel benefits on Star Alliance member airlines

Premier Silver members receive Star Alliance Silver benefits
Premier Gold, Premier Platinum and Premier 1K members receive Star Alliance Gold benefits

1Complimentary Economy Plus access is determined by the highest Premier status of the travelers on the reservation. Complimentary Economy Plus seating for travelers on award tickets that are issued or re-issued on or after April 15, 2015, is based on the traveler's status at booking for Premier Gold and above or at time of check-in for Premier Silver, rather than the status of the member whose miles were used to purchase the award ticket.

2United Airlines reserves the right to exclude certain flights, fares, tickets, routes, products and/or programs from earning MileagePlus award miles and/or Premier qualifying credits. Learn more about earning miles on United flights

3The fare is the base fare of the ticket plus carrier-imposed surcharges, excluding any government-imposed taxes and surcharges. For tickets purchased in a currency other than U.S. dollars, we will convert the purchase to U.S. dollars using an industry standard exchange rate and then calculate the number of miles you will earn. Please note that the price displayed when purchasing a ticket on united.com includes up to a 7.5% U.S. Federal Transportation Tax on the base amount of the fare on itineraries wholly within the United States. This tax also applies to certain itineraries between the United States and Canada or Mexico. You will not earn PQD or award miles for the full amount of the displayed price for these itineraries because the U.S. Federal Transportation tax is not eligible to earn PQD or miles.

4Customers who do not receive complimentary Premier Access may have the option to purchase Premier Access for a particular flight. A Premier Access purchase includes priority check-in, security lane access (where available) and boarding, but it does not include priority baggage handling.

5For United Economy® tickets issued or re-issued before February 1, 2015, Premier Gold members are eligible for three complimentary checked bags at 70 pounds (32 kg) each. For United Economy tickets issued or re-issued on or after February 1, 2015, Premier Gold members are eligible for two complimentary checked bags at 70 pounds (32 kg) each with the exception of travel to and from select international markets, where Premier Gold members are eligible for three complimentary checked bags at 70 pounds (32 kg) each. To determine specific checked baggage service charges, please use the Baggage Calculator.

MileagePlus rules:

The accrual of miles and Premier® qualifying credits, redemption of awards and provision of benefits through the United MileagePlus program, including the Premier Program, are subject to change and are subject to the rules of the MileagePlus program.

See the complete rules and details of the MileagePlus program

• Like 1

This is the article using "simplified" article (same result as using "Clearly" - NOTE ALL of the INSIDE PREMIER status list is JUST NOT THERE!  What concerns me, is if we are not careful we might not notice a whole section of a page clipped didn't get included!!!

The more you fly United, United Express® and select MileagePlus partners, the sooner you'll achieve Premier status, which gives additional benefits to our most active members. These include bonus award miles, upgrades, priority travel services, fee waivers, discounts and benefits when traveling with Star AllianceTM member airlines.

Inside Premier® status

Premier benefits chart

Premier benefits chart
Premier benefits chart
Complimentary access to Economy Plus At check-in At booking At booking At booking
Upgrades
Complimentary Premier Upgrades confirmation (as early as) Day of departure 48 hours 72 hours 96 hours
Upgrades
Premier mileage bonuses
Premier mileage bonuses2
500 PQM minimum accrual        
Award miles on United and United Express and select partner airlines (includes Premier bonus award miles) 7 × fare3 8 × fare3 9 × fare3 11 × fare3
Premier priority travel services, including Premier Access®
Priority check-in        
Complimentary checked baggage allowance for economy tickets5 1 bag at 50 lbs. (23 kg) 2 bags at 70 lbs. (32 kg) each5 3 bags at 70 lbs. (32 kg) each 3 bags at 70 lbs. (32 kg) each
Award travel benefits
Award travel benefits
Unrestricted access to United Standard Awards on United- and United Express-operated flights        

1Complimentary Economy Plus access is determined by the highest Premier status of the travelers on the reservation. Complimentary Economy Plus seating for travelers on award tickets that are issued or re-issued on or after April 15, 2015, is based on the traveler's status at booking for Premier Gold and above or at time of check-in for Premier Silver, rather than the status of the member whose miles were used to purchase the award ticket. Return to reference

2United Airlines reserves the right to exclude certain flights, fares, tickets, routes, products and/or programs from earning MileagePlus award miles and/or Premier qualifying credits. Learn more about earning miles on United flights Return to reference

3The fare is the base fare of the ticket plus carrier-imposed surcharges, excluding any government-imposed taxes and surcharges. For tickets purchased in a currency other than U.S. dollars, we will convert the purchase to U.S. dollars using an industry standard exchange rate and then calculate the number of miles you will earn. Please note that the price displayed when purchasing a ticket on united.com includes up to a 7.5% U.S. Federal Transportation Tax on the base amount of the fare on itineraries wholly within the United States. This tax also applies to certain itineraries between the United States and Canada or Mexico. You will not earn PQD or award miles for the full amount of the displayed price for these itineraries because the U.S. Federal Transportation tax is not eligible to earn PQD or miles. Return to reference

4Customers who do not receive complimentary Premier Access may have the option to purchase Premier Access for a particular flight. A Premier Access purchase includes priority check-in, security lane access (where available) and boarding, but it does not include priority baggage handling. Return to reference

5For United Economy® tickets issued or re-issued before February 1, 2015, Premier Gold members are eligible for three complimentary checked bags at 70 pounds (32 kg) each. For United Economy tickets issued or re-issued on or after February 1, 2015, Premier Gold members are eligible for two complimentary checked bags at 70 pounds (32 kg) each with the exception of travel to and from select international markets, where Premier Gold members are eligible for three complimentary checked bags at 70 pounds (32 kg) each. To determine specific checked baggage service charges, please use the Baggage Calculator. Return to reference

MileagePlus rules:

The accrual of miles and Premier® qualifying credits, redemption of awards and provision of benefits through the United MileagePlus program, including the Premier Program, are subject to change and are subject to the rules of the MileagePlus program.

• Like 1

Hi everyone, I do not understand, why Evernote cannot simply give us the features that are already available.

My understanding is, that Evernote Web uses the editor TinyMCE (www.tinymce.com). And when I checked last time that editor comprised already all the features desired by people in this forum.

What I do not understand, but maybe someone from Evernote reading this can explain, why is Evernote using a version of TinyMCE that is 2 years old? At least the tinymce.js loaded in my Evernote declares itself as being version "4.1.0 (2014-06-18)".

Engineering wise you can't just drop in a library, you have to wire it up to make it work - anyway even the web is moving away from TinyMCE it has limits that will impact future growth - other features are coming, though they need to have the same base library and editing experience across all platforms firsts

• Like 3
On 9/12/2016 at 6:57 PM, Jason Miller said:

Engineering wise you can't just drop in a library, you have to wire it up to make it work

You're right, but Evernote is already using TinyMCE, hence there is no new wiring I guess.

On 9/12/2016 at 6:57 PM, Jason Miller said:

other features are coming, though they need to have the same base library and editing experience across all platforms firsts

The thing is, that I am using Evernote now, not in the distant future. And I am also paying for it right now, not in the distant future. So, when is this rewiring and library writing going to happen?

Recently, I found out that Evernote dropped one crucial (at least to me) feature: Pasting images from the clipboard directly into the web editor.

So far I did this all the time and it worked very well until the feature was dropped; suddenly it was gone. My bug report was first answered like this:

I spoke with our development team about this issue and I'm afraid that pasting images from the clipboard is not currently supported on the Evernote Website. They have received and noted this ticket as a feature request, and will consider adding support for this at some point in the future.

After some back and forth emailing we arrived at this answer:

After speaking with my Senior Advisors, they informed me that the ability to copy and paste images into Evernote Web was recently disabled when we identified inconsistencies with the way that various browsers support the copy and paste functionality. Since not all browsers handle copied and pasted images in the same way, we discovered that in some cases images were not saved to the note which resulted in the loss of the image. To prevent this type of loss, we disabled the paste functionality.

That is a full 180 going from "feature request" to "we disabled it on purpose". Honestly, I do not like it. I like Evernote and use it daily, but with regards to the web editor there seems to be no progress being made since a long time. After reading the forum and Evernote support's answers to my bug report, I get the feeling development to the web editor is on pause.

Dear Evernote support, when do we get a web editor that is on par with the rest of the internet?

The Dropped feature (is turned off for now) until they can get a consistent user experience across all web clients - since non-Firefox folks were experiencing data loss - so I also had to switch to using the Desktop client.  I don't have an ETA on when that will be turned back on, however, it is near the top of the list of things to fix.

As for a web editor you want, that is currently being worked on and updates will be rolled out in the months ahead

• Like 1
On September 11, 2016 at 2:36 AM, Larry_C said:

Now this may not be an editor issue, as it was web clipped as an article, but maybe Jason can comment / assist with this as well.

Note the overlap on the "Inside Premier status' list with the "Premier benefits chart".  Will try using "simplify article" or maybe "clearly"

Inside Premier® status

Premier benefits chart

Upgrades
Premier mileage bonuses2
500 PQM minimum accrual        
Priority check-in        
Award travel benefits

Travel benefits on Star Alliance member airlines

Premier Silver members receive Star Alliance Silver benefits
Premier Gold, Premier Platinum and Premier 1K members receive Star Alliance Gold benefits

1Complimentary Economy Plus access is determined by the highest Premier status of the travelers on the reservation. Complimentary Economy Plus seating for travelers on award tickets that are issued or re-issued on or after April 15, 2015, is based on the traveler's status at booking for Premier Gold and above or at time of check-in for Premier Silver, rather than the status of the member whose miles were used to purchase the award ticket.

2United Airlines reserves the right to exclude certain flights, fares, tickets, routes, products and/or programs from earning MileagePlus award miles and/or Premier qualifying credits. Learn more about earning miles on United flights

3The fare is the base fare of the ticket plus carrier-imposed surcharges, excluding any government-imposed taxes and surcharges. For tickets purchased in a currency other than U.S. dollars, we will convert the purchase to U.S. dollars using an industry standard exchange rate and then calculate the number of miles you will earn. Please note that the price displayed when purchasing a ticket on united.com includes up to a 7.5% U.S. Federal Transportation Tax on the base amount of the fare on itineraries wholly within the United States. This tax also applies to certain itineraries between the United States and Canada or Mexico. You will not earn PQD or award miles for the full amount of the displayed price for these itineraries because the U.S. Federal Transportation tax is not eligible to earn PQD or miles.

4Customers who do not receive complimentary Premier Access may have the option to purchase Premier Access for a particular flight. A Premier Access purchase includes priority check-in, security lane access (where available) and boarding, but it does not include priority baggage handling.

5For United Economy® tickets issued or re-issued before February 1, 2015, Premier Gold members are eligible for three complimentary checked bags at 70 pounds (32 kg) each. For United Economy tickets issued or re-issued on or after February 1, 2015, Premier Gold members are eligible for two complimentary checked bags at 70 pounds (32 kg) each with the exception of travel to and from select international markets, where Premier Gold members are eligible for three complimentary checked bags at 70 pounds (32 kg) each. To determine specific checked baggage service charges, please use the Baggage Calculator.

MileagePlus rules:

Hi Larry 

Do you have the URL for this page?  (or has the information been provided to support already).  I can have it added to our list of Clipped Sites for testing with - and I noticed even in this editor the HTML of the page is cuasing problems with viewing, so it looks like there is some hidden syntax that is messing with rendering. 

9 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

Hi Larry 

Do you have the URL for this page?  (or has the information been provided to support already).  I can have it added to our list of Clipped Sites for testing with - and I noticed even in this editor the HTML of the page is cuasing problems with viewing, so it looks like there is some hidden syntax that is messing with rendering. 

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/premier/default.aspx

Anything you can for us is greatly appreciated.  Seems what was a small issue is actually a rather LARGE issue.

Larry
2016SP17 11:40 Sydney

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using Evernote off and on for ten years. Text handling has gone from horrible to bad. Poor support for plain text is why I always leave. Apple notes proves text handling can be done well across all devices. The Evernote dev team has a lot to learn about technology perfected 20 years ago (plain text). Don't hold your breath.

• 2 weeks later...

I have no issues on android

I have momentary freezing issues on ipad, ipad mini, pc, mac mini and mac note books.  

Ive had this for years, im a premium paid user during this time.

I just don't know how evernote never addressed this crashing, freezing, slowing issue in their systems over the years.

There is no excuse in terms of being my device, my problem as i even purchased a new notebook with upgraded specs for the specific reason of running an evernote system in mind - still problems.

I also run other softwares and find gmail, google drive, other services which have a mountain of notes and information run perfectly.  Stuff can be found quickly and theres no lagging issues and situations where the browswer like evernote slows, lightens in colour and freezes and i have to wait for it to sort itself out.

The android version of the app is excellent, not an issue now.  On a previous android phone I had issues similar to above (similar to ios, windows and mac desktop probs )

• Level 5

@pobo, I'm afraid I don't have any concrete help to offer (I don't experience these issues, or if I do they're so infrequent that they don't cause me a serious problem). But might I suggest that, rather than adding this post to an unrelated thread, you start a new one? I think you're more likely to get some assistance, or at least suggestions, that way.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree.  Can we just stop making excuses for them?  The editor is rubbish.  The product is great.  But and this is a big BUT, this is a note taking application.  So after 10 years, there are no excuses for the note editor not being beyond brilliant.  I keep hearing "Evernote are working on it", well what the bloody hell have they been doing?  Because it's still rubbish.  

Just try cutting and pasting a bulleted and indented list in Calibri 11 in Outlook which is running the same font and size.  The bulleting is screwed, and it pastes in Times New Roman.  That isn't a bug, it's just plain lazy, and no, I don't want to write it in something else and then paste it into Evernote and then stand on one leg.  No excuses it should work.  This is like buying a car and finding it's undrivable on some roads and being told to buy another car just in case you want to drive on that road.

Maybe rather than selling socks and wondering why people aren't paying for Premium they should have concentrated on making the product amazing and then people will happily hand over cash.......

I'm giving them 3-months and then I'm going to very very reluctantly change my entire workflow to use OneNote.  Which makes me sad and angry.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/8/2016 at 3:01 AM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

@pobo, I'm afraid I don't have any concrete help to offer (I don't experience these issues, or if I do they're so infrequent that they don't cause me a serious problem). But might I suggest that, rather than adding this post to an unrelated thread, you start a new one? I think you're more likely to get some assistance, or at least suggestions, that way.

Hi Dave @dave-in-decatur 

just a followup on my issues, performance and crashing of evernote, freezing etc. as you had kindly offered response when i last posted.

This is what i did and made HUGE HUGE difference to the operation of evernote.  From unusable to great!

1. I turned off all the sycing and made manual sync - even turn off sync on exit.  you just want to click sync manually, no auto syncing etc.
  2. i checked the number of devices being synced, not a problem - but checked anyway to reduce.
  3. i broke up the folders.  some were too large into more folders containing less notes.  There were some that had thousands of notes.  When i was resorting the notes I did notice performance actually improve.  I have over 35,000 notes from the years.

Having done 1-3 the system has improved speed, performance, opening, closing, etc. occassionally theres a bit of stalling and thinking going on but I am extremely happy with the performance of evernote now since doing 1-3 above.  The biggest noticable win was breaking up the notes into more and smaller folders.

• Like 1

I've been on a mission comparing note taking apps and discovered by accident that cutting and pasting from OneNote into Evernote retains complex formatting perfectly. Formatting's easy in OneNote, the app is free, so it's a good workaround. 

47 minutes ago, Mistywindow said:

I've been on a mission comparing note taking apps and discovered by accident that cutting and pasting from OneNote into Evernote retains complex formatting perfectly. Formatting's easy in OneNote, the app is free, so it's a good workaround. 

Thanks and yes, One note seemed ok, i had it with the files sitting on dropbox etc and so you have a backup happening - I have found the evernote though integrates with my phone a bit better.  

OneNote is far superior to Evernote for organizing notes, formatting text, integration of Apple Pencil, etc.  I have no hope for Evernote ever fixing their dysfunctional text formatting (been using since 2005 and it has changed little).

The _only_ reason I have not switched to OneNote is it because it's webclipper is dysfunctional, and Evernote's is superb.

So, just waiting for OneNote to enhance it's web clipper and I'm gone!

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, aflewis said:

OneNote is far superior to Evernote for organizing notes,

I disagree with you on this point
I find Evernote superiour to other products in the search and retrieval notes

• Like 1

DTLow, et al,

Topic is about formatting.  What worries me and should worry others and find Evernote development frustrating is that comments like formatting capabilities haven't changed since 2005!

How about Evernote development commenting about their plans for updating / improving note formatting?  Why would I use (or even suggest to a client) to use OneNote to format their notes and then import into Evernote.????

And even if aflewis' comment about formatting poor since 2005 is facetious, THIS post as been open almost ONE YEAR and no real contribution by Evernote support / development. 

Larry
2017JA05 09:45 Sydney

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, Larry_C said:

Why would I use (or even suggest to a client) to use OneNote to format there notes and then import into Evernote.????

OneNote seems to be an odd choice.  
I recommend Word for word processing, and Excel for spreadsheet.
I even recommend Notability (IOS) for serious note taking.

And I recommend importing the files into Evernote as an attachment to a note.

Despite opinions in this and other discussions, I believe Evernote's core functionality is data filing and retrieval
As such, I'm not concerned about Evernote's editor and formating.
I find it adequate for notes

39 minutes ago, DTLow said:

And I recommend importing the files into Evernote as an attachment to a note.

Despite opinions in this and other discussions, I believe Evernote's core functionality is data filing and retrieval
As such, I'm not concerned about Evernote's editor and formating.
I find it adequate for notes

I see importing notes as a great feature for transition.  Attachments don't always display nicely in Evernote, but for a another topic.

While I would never expect formatting to rival other products, the discussion seems to imply more people find the formatting INADEQUATE and not even to basic standards.  My specific addition had to do with INCONSISTENT formatting of imported text.  But you can read the history to find more details. 

Still waiting to hear comment from Evernote support / development.

• Level 5*
41 minutes ago, Larry_C said:

Still waiting to hear comment from Evernote support / development.

Hi.  You may have to wait some time - Evernote don't (usually) discuss their plans in advance.  Last comment I saw about editor features was (I think)

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  You may have to wait some time - Evernote don't (usually) discuss their plans in advance.  Last comment I saw about editor features was (I think)

Yup, we can only continue to voice here and in private to those who listen and comment.

• Like 1

For those of you who consider Evernote note taking satisfactory... is it wrong that our expectations be equivalent to a mail program, or OS bundled Note pad app? That mean basic simple text formatting perfecting on PC notepads with Windows 3.1, circa 1993. IMHO, that's not too much to expect from evernote.

• Level 5*
36 minutes ago, aflewis said:

For those of you who consider Evernote note taking satisfactory... is it wrong that our expectations be equivalent to a mail program, or OS bundled Note pad app? That mean basic simple text formatting perfecting on PC notepads with Windows 3.1, circa 1993. IMHO, that's not too much to expect from evernote.

I use the words satisfactory for editing a simple note

My expectation is; For a anything more complex than a simple note, I use a dedicated app like Notability or Pages (Apple person)

I add my vote to requests for adding editing features, but I'm not obsessing at their absence

25 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I use the words satisfactory for editing a simple note

My expectation is; For a anything more complex than a simple note, I use a dedicated app like Notability or Pages (Apple person)

I add my vote to requests for adding editing features, but I don't spend time being upset at their absence

Glad you vote in favour of improvement.  I think part of this post also reflected that if you DID use alternate for complex note preparation there is ALSO a problem importing this complex note as the formatting (has for me anyway) been poorly reflected in the result in Evernote.  Doing even simple cutting and pasting of web (as an example only) (not using web clipper) was extremely poor alignment.  Even the simplest of editors can use a "block" statement that will import the info as fixed / "blocked" text".

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Larry_C said:

Glad you vote in favour of improvement.  I think part of this post also reflected that if you DID use alternate for complex note preparation there is ALSO a problem importing this complex note as the formatting (has for me anyway) been poorly reflected in the result in Evernote.  Doing even simple cutting and pasting of web (as an example only) (not using web clipper) was extremely poor alignment.  Even the simplest of editors can use a "block" statement that will import the info as fixed / "blocked" text".

I actually don't import into the Evernote editor.

When I create a word-processing/spreadsheet document, it exists as an attachment to a note.

7 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I actually don't import into the Evernote editor.

When I create a word-processing/spreadsheet document, it exists as an attachment to a note.

Yes it's an option, but doesn't always make for easy reading.

• Level 5*
47 minutes ago, Larry_C said:

Yes it's an option, but doesn't always make for easy reading.

This is how the document appears on my Mac and  iPad Screen Shot 2017-01-09 at 9.40.37 PM.png
Evernote has a built in viewer and I can scroll through the document
I also have the option of displaying as an attachment

Of course I can't edit in this window; it opens in a separate Pages window

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

This is how the document appears on my Mac and  iPad Screen Shot 2017-01-09 at 9.40.37 PM.png

and as you say, need to edit in another window (and with another process and another product and ....)

4 hours ago, DTLow said:

This is how the document appears on my Mac and  iPad 

Hi DTLow, this whole thread is about the WebEditor. The native editor on the MAC is fairly ok.

And what looked nice in the MAC app does not look that nice on the web. And if you start editing, it gets painful to do even the easiest things. My biggest issue is that it is no longer possible to insert images directly into the note in the web editor. Possible in the MAC app, yes, but in the browser you need to do tricks. And I think a note taking app should support that feature. It did BWT, as you can read in one of my posts above.

However, the problem, as I understand it is, that evernote has no control over the editor. It uses a third party product, which for itself is not an issue, but evernote uses a very old version of that editor (TinyMCE).

• Level 5*

Don't know if I posted this here before,  but Evernote has acknowledged that the Web version has been the neglected child of the various platforms for a while.  This may explain why,  and what's going to happen...

https://blog.evernote.com/tech/2016/10/17/bringing-micro-services-to-the-client-side-project-ion-and-micro-components

There's (apparently) a new(er) version of the web app under development - launch date unknown,  but something alleged for the first half of 2017...

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Dietrich said:

Hi DTLow, this whole thread is about the WebEditor. The native editor on the MAC is fairly ok.

You do realize you're posting in the Windows forum
I thought editing on the web platform would be an entirely different discussion

Good to know the native editor on the Mac is farily ok; how do you feel about the Windows editor?
As I said, I find the editors satisfactory for editing a simple note

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

You do realize you're posting in the Windows forum
I thought editing on the web platform would be an entirely different discussion

No, I did not realize that.

In any case I believe what I said to be correct.

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

Good to know the native editor on the Mac is farily ok; how do you feel about the Windows editor?

Have not tried the Windows one.

The one on the iPhone is fairly ok though, because you usually do not need complex editing on the phone.

• 2 weeks later...

It's super buggy. I had a 6 page thing typed out of notes for a class in outline form and it suddenly went from being correctly indented to everything being left aligned. I have no clue how to fix it and everytime I try to just tab the points over to demote them from that left alignment it just plain won't let me. Thinking of switching back to one note. 

• Ex Employees
On 1/18/2017 at 0:04 PM, alexltaylor11@bsu.edu said:

had a 6 page thing typed out of notes for a class in outline form and it suddenly went from being correctly indented to everything being left aligned.

@alexltaylor11@bsu.edu  Thanks for the report. Were these notes in a table?

Please select File>Exit, and reopen Evernote. The content should return to the correct alignment until you mouse over it again. Until a fix is released, please try these steps as a work-around:

1. Right-click the note from your note list
  2. select Copy to Notebook.., and open the new note copy 
  3. Select Edit>Select All from the File Menu 
  4. Select Edit>Simplify formatting 

This will retain the text and tables, but it will strip away other formatting. E.G. Table colors, font colors, etc. If the formatting that is lost is important to the table, use these steps to fix this: 

1. Select File>Exit and reopen Evernote
  2. Right-click the issue note from your note list
  3. Select Copy to Notebook.., and open the new note copy 
  4. Select Edit>Select All from the File Menu 
  5. Select Edit>Cut
  6. Select Edit>Paste 

Do you happen to recall how and when this content was created? I.E. Did you create the content within Evernote, or copy/paste it from another source? Which device/source?

Thanks for reporting this issue. Let me know if the steps above do not fix it or if the notes were not inside a table. 

• 2 months later...

Trying to print notes in the same font and character size as many others but for some reason several continue to print very small as if less than 100%
but having spent hours remaking my notes, changing fonts and character size and searching thru help files, tips, troubleshooting... NOTHING addresses this.
Seems impossible that there are no indications, help, suggestions or fixes for this. I pay for premium but this is bad enough to make me stop.

• Level 5*
On 30/03/2017 at 3:15 AM, Tracever said:

Trying to print notes in the same font and character size as many others but for some reason several continue to print very small as if less than 100%
but having spent hours remaking my notes, changing fonts and character size and searching thru help files, tips, troubleshooting... NOTHING addresses this.
Seems impossible that there are no indications, help, suggestions or fixes for this. I pay for premium but this is bad enough to make me stop.

Hi.  What's your OS and which version of Evernote are you using?  As a premium user you have access to Chat support if you need it (subject to timezones...)

We're not Evernote as such here,  just a (mostly) user-supported forum;  if you're a paying subscriber it's a good idea to contact support directly at https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new (premium subscribers can chat from the same link) - or anyone can message them on Twitter via https://twitter.com/evernotehelps

• Like 1

Hi thanks for your help!
Windows 10 - although I had noticed it previously with Windows 7 and 8
Evernote version 6.5.4.4720
I was off hours but yes will check in with them as well... Really appreciate the direct links!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I have been a paid member of Evernote since January 2009.

Currently, I still use Evernote for capture and old info, but I then curate IT-related info in the Quiver app because it allows me to control formatting.

Quiver enables you to format in blocks such as Markdown, plain text, and code. The code blocks auto-format for the language you are using.

I would like Evernote to enable users to 

1. Edit notes in Markdown by switching between Edit and View modes
  2. Deliberately control formatting instead of the current unpredictable hit and miss.
  3. Have formatting styles like heading 1, heading 2, etc., body, block quote, and so on.
  4. Have auto-formatted code blocks that follow the language syntax.
  5. Type without allowing OS to auto-replace smart quotes and dashes, etc.

Again, these are things that Quiver already does well, but with nine years of info in Evernote, I cannot easily quit.

I would like the company to innovate by improving the user experience instead of adding shiny edge-case features like chat and doing promotional blogs and podcasts.

People have been complaining about Evernote formatting and editing since the beginning. It is time for the company to improve the core purpose of the software.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Evernote's base code was written four or five times 10 or so years ago - once for each supported operating system.  While some edge case add-ons are relatively easy to develop,  fixing the assumptions and decisions made by engineers when they first wrote the code,  and doing so in a way as not to limit future development,  can take a little while. 

Evernote have been doing the groundwork for changes over the past several years - they're not ignoring the issue,  and I'm sure they'll deliver more and better features as soon as they can.

On 04/05/2017 at 3:21 AM, gazumped said:

Evernote's base code was written four or five times 10 or so years ago - once for each supported operating system.  While some edge case add-ons are relatively easy to develop,  fixing the assumptions and decisions made by engineers when they first wrote the code,  and doing so in a way as not to limit future development,  can take a little while. 

Evernote have been doing the groundwork for changes over the past several years - they're not ignoring the issue,  and I'm sure they'll deliver more and better features as soon as they can.

Thanks for the history.  But think the issue is that a) a change was announced and b.) feedback sought (at least I think so) and then NOTHING.  NO communication, at least not in the forum where the announcement was made.  In any product, for engineers to work in isolation or on what THEY think the users want, without two way communication is a short course to further complaints.

• Level 5*

Are we not still talking about Evernote web?  I would have thought that the job was to recreate the desktop look and feel and feature-rich environment online,  and -maybe- make some provision for future upgrades already planned for the desktop clients.  

Don't see a lot of feedback or help required while they do that,  unless anyone's based close enough to the coders to get the coffees in...

-And the developers have a lot of feedback already from these forums and Evernote's other sources.  Their main test,  I agree,  will be when (and if) that new web version gets released into the wild.

Though even if it is a tour-de-force of inspired development,  there will still be someone out there complaining that there's no support for their favourite font,  or the green is too bright...  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

This is still a major issue for me. I've had to completely clean out long outlined and literally reformat from scratch, which takes an hour or more each time. And on the app it's troublesome to edit too. The cursor jumps around, outlines are all messed up with numbers all over the place. I just can't understand how such a sophisticated tool has such bad formatting issues. Also, why isn't there a feature to do searches for JUST note titles? 

• 2 months later...

I have a lot of problem with wierd formatting, copying and pasting text can turn out to be so different in diferent context, when I remove format the highlighted gets ruined, it's really upsetting, I wish they'd use markdown for the formatting

• 1 month later...

An example of the formatting problems: I created a code block, put a number of lines of code in it. Sometimes, the code block get's reformatted such that each line is in its own code block, which I've traced to duplication of the style settings at the div and the span level, as shown:

<div>
<div style="box-sizing: border-box; padding: 8px; font-size: 12px; border-top-left-radius: 4px; border-top-right-radius: 4px; border-bottom-right-radius: 4px; border-bottom-left-radius: 4px; background-color: rgb(251, 250, 248); border: 1px solid rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.14902);">
<span style="box-sizing: border-box; padding: 8px; font-size: 12px; border-top-left-radius: 4px; border-top-right-radius: 4px; border-bottom-right-radius: 4px; border-bottom-left-radius: 4px; background-color: rgb(251, 250, 248); border: 1px solid rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.14902); color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Monaco, Menlo, Consolas, 'Courier New', monospace;"># set some inputs</span>
</div>

I'm using Evernote 6.12.2 for Mac and 8.4.357715 for iOS. I haven't confirmed, but it may be that the duplication occurs when editing a note on both platforms. Eg. I create the note and the code block on the desktop version, then I take a picture with my phone and add it to the note via iOS. I've definitely noticed this pattern, but not sure if that's the cause. And, oddly, the duplication doesn't occur for every code-block div in the note.

Addendum: I think it occurs possibly when part of the code block is highlighted using the desktop-app highlight tool.

• 1 month later...

I have been a LONG time premium user of Evernote.

Have it on 2 desktops, 2 laptops and a few mobile devices.

I have recently installed it on my latest desktop (Microsoft Surface Studio) and the formatting now is just woeful.

For instance, I copy an Australian domain .com.au into a note - and it just removes the .au from the hyperlink to make it a .com

Can't get it to format line breaks correctly.

Great!

• 2 weeks later...

Same as @Northland,  I have been a LONG time premium user of Evernote.

On my Windows machine, I have awful formatting issues. This is a newish problem that is getter worse. It seems to be more an issue with larger (e.g. 125K characters) /long edited notes (3 years of daily edits to my log).

My main issue is with indents and bullets get changed when you reopen a note.  The editor is broken.

• 3 months later...

The formatting is terrible indeed.  I'm using Evernote on Mac, Windows and iOS.  I write notes carefully and nicely formatted on MacOS just to realize the formatting is just all over the place on Windows.  Specifically, it is the font, font sizes and indent.  I'm not using any special font, it's just Verdana.   The font size is just all over the place when going from MacOS to Windows and vice-versa.  I always had to unnecessarily wrestle with this.   Why does this have to be a challenge?  It is so frustrating.

3 hours ago, dysonlu said:

The formatting is terrible indeed.  I'm using Evernote on Mac, Windows and iOS.  I write notes carefully and nicely formatted on MacOS just to realize the formatting is just all over the place on Windows.  Specifically, it is the font, font sizes and indent.  I'm not using any special font, it's just Verdana.   The font size is just all over the place when going from MacOS to Windows and vice-versa.  I always had to unnecessarily wrestle with this.   Why does this have to be a challenge?  It is so frustrating.

What is infuriating about this problem is that there seems to be no development sympathy for this.  They just announced spaces which is currently only available to EN Business.  Formatting runs through the WHOLE product set & range.  Surely if it was not created with a robust editing engine, the time has come that a cross-platform edit engine would be a good investment to make something that is not only more robust and even more effective and expandable.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
43 minutes ago, laike9m said:

Is there any plan to fix this?

Sorry, but when you have been using Evernote for as long as I have, you learn that they do not release plans for doing anything with the app - whether it be fixing things or breaking things. Even things that they broke don't seem to have any plans to fix - it just gets put in the too hard basket for _years_. Some things are best done by other apps, sadly. Even the basics of storing everything where it is accessible everywhere are sometimes done better by those other apps.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I use Evernote on a daily basis as a simple presentation tool (I'm a teacher). It's wonderful. I can share notes, there are dozens of useful and functional features like embedded video, web browsing... you know all this.

The formatting system is a disgrace though. In 8 years, having created hundreds of notes, I have found it absolutely impossible to create formatting that will reliably correspond to what is in the "presentation" version of the note: image size, font size, line spacing, indentation, and text appearance are wildly inconsistent and turn carefully built notes into a visual nightmare. 

Basically, presentation mode is broken. 

BUT I pay 75 bucks a year for this, and presentation mode is literally the reason I use this program. I'm seeing a LOT of customer demand for a functional formatting system; I assume you guys have some good reason why it works the way it does; please explain it to us! Or provide a tutorial for making it work right. Or give an option for turning off whatever conversion system turns the notes into presentations. Anything! Please!

I'm getting really cheesed off over here.

• Like 1

HI Ben, I feel your pain. I have been a user since 2009, and been patiently putting up with the brain-dead text formatting since then. You are right, it is a disgrace and I've finally found a good alternative.

I am now in the process of switching to Microsoft OneNote. Prior to now, there has been nothing that could offer the seamless syncing, quality webclipper and iPad Pro Pencil integration (Penultimate). But recent updates to OneNote now match/exceed Evernote in these categories, and of course, it has amazing text editing capabilities with graphics integration. 

OneNote has a very functional tool for importing notebooks directly from Evernote. I recommend you import just one notebook at a time, as it dumps them in a central location in One Note and you will have to reassign to their notebook system. The Windows importer is very robust, the Mac version, not so much.

• Level 5*

I won't rehearse the usual alternatives here,  but clearly if you need a feature that Evernote can't deliver yet,  then the obvious step is to use another application that can do what you want.  There is a bunch of work-arounds for Evernote,  the easiest of which seems to be to use an word processor that does support the layout you need,  attach the saved WP file to a note,  and open it on screen in Presentation mode to see the full glory of the formatted content. 

Evernote will always be watching its bottom line,  and if it decides the only way to gain/ keep customers is to enhance the editor features,  the work will get a priority.  Until then my guess is that while they would dearly love it to be possible,  there's so much other work to keep the show on the road that editor enhancements - which require some serious under-the-hood messing around - will be low priority.  They may also be waiting for other, equally well-supported features to come online.

Evernote is in the process of releasing 'Spaces' forinstance which seems to answer various requests for folder hierarchies,  pinned notes and bulk sharing of notebooks...  (Evernote Business first,  then the other apps later,  they've said...)

How to share multiple notes and notebooks using spaces

Yeah, Evernote formatting is awful and buggy. It happened after last updates (few weeks ago).

I have a simple text and now I can't edit it.

I press Backspace and all get messed up.

What are you doing guys? You wanna kill this nice app?