Removing the note author from header when printing to PDF

Hi,

I have a large number of notes (over a thousand) that I wish to individually print to PDF.  I need the header information to be included in that pdf (provides note creation date, tags etc) but I do not want the author of the note (shows as my email address) to appear OR I would like to change the author to be name only not email addy.  Is there any way of doing this for a large number of notes easily rather than go to the information panel to remove/change that informationfor each individual note?

Jane

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, jane5ok said:

Is there any way of doing this for a large number of notes easily rather than go to the information panel to remove/change that informationfor each individual note?

I don't know of a way to do this with the Evernote built-in tools, but it could be done using AppleScript/JXA.  It would be pretty easy if you already know AppleScript.  For some example scripts, see Evernote AppleScripts at Veritrope and my post below.

EDIT:  Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 6:29 PM CST

OK, this will sound weird, but I was wrong about being wrong.  I know, I know, the old joke . . . ;)

But it's true in this case.  I have since tested an AppleScript that proves the EN "Author" field can be updated.

See my post below with the test AppleScript.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, jane5ok said:

I have a large number of notes (over a thousand) that I wish to individually print to PDF.

Same as @JMichaelTX, I would be looking to Applescript to do this.  It would be worth the effort for over a thousand notes.

Just curious as to the reason for this?  pdf format is something I've considered since EN lacks a Read-Only feature.

Thank you for those replies.  I am not sure I am tech savvy enough to use Applescript.

The reason for doing this is to create a pdf format of notes to then store them in folders.  This is part of a genealogy project and I would like the information from each note for each person in pdf format in that person's individual folder on my computer which then gets backed up to 3 different locations once a week.  Yes I know the information will always be in Evernote unless I delete it but nobody else can access that information apart from me or on my computer (or whatever other device i have) unless they too have Evernote as well.  A PDF format of the note becomes more universal and I can share it more easily with family members :-)

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, jane5ok said:

The reason for doing this is to create a pdf format of notes to then store them in folders.  This is part of a genealogy project and I would like the information from each note for each person in pdf format in that person's individual folder on my computer which then gets backed up to 3 different locations once a week.  Yes I know the information will always be in Evernote unless I delete it but nobody else can access that information apart from me or on my computer (or whatever other device i have) unless they too have Evernote as well.  A PDF format of the note becomes more universal and I can share it more easily with family members :-)

Are you interested in hearing alternative solutions?

As to sharing, you can put all the notes into a Notebook labelled Genealogy, and share the public link.  Evernote is not required to access the information.  I agree that pdf format is more universal than other formats.

As to backups, my Evernote data files are covered in my regular data backup process.

Interesting idea but unfortunately not everyone in the family has internet access so pdf's on a usb stick is the solution for them.  I need the information OUT of Evernote as part of the overall general organisation of the whole genealogy project - ie each individual in the database has their own folder and digital copies of everything within that folder. So I use Evernote as a 'catch all' but it is not the 'end all' so to speak :-)

• Level 5*
48 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

Sorry that I misled you in my above post.   Turns out that we are unable to use AppleScript to access the "Author" field.

@jane5ok:  OK, this is very embarrassing.  With limited testing, it now looks like the "Author" field can be set via AppleScript.
This is what I get for breaking my own rules about checking my facts, and testing before posting.

In my limited defense, the Evernote Scripting Dictionary does NOT show the "Author" field as a property of a Note, or of anything.

But here is a TEST script that shows the "Author" field is both available, and can be updated:

tell application "Evernote"

set selNotes to selection
	set iNumNotes to count of selNotes
	display notification "Number of Notes: " & iNumNotes

repeat with iNote from 1 to iNumNotes

set oNote to item iNote of selNotes
		set strTitle to title of oNote
		set authorStr to author of oNote

log strTitle
		log authorStr

set author of oNote to "JMichaelTX"

--properties of oNote

end repeat

end tell

I plan to post a new topic documenting this error in the Evernote Mac Scripting Dictionary.

• Level 5*
On 1/20/2016 at 3:08 PM, jane5ok said:

Hi,

I have a large number of notes (over a thousand) that I wish to individually print to PDF.  I need the header information to be included in that pdf (provides note creation date, tags etc) but I do not want the author of the note (shows as my email address) to appear OR I would like to change the author to be name only not email addy.  Is there any way of doing this for a large number of notes easily rather than go to the information panel to remove/change that informationfor each individual note?

Jane

Jane,

Here is an AppleScript that should do the job for you:
See Evernote AppleScript to Set author property of Selected Notes (AS) 

Notice:  This script will change the "author" field for all of the selected notes, and you will NOT be able to undo this.

You should run this script the first time after selecting ONLY one TEST Note in your Evernote account, and confirm that it has worked as expected.  If you have any questions, please feel free to ask before you run the script.

You can then run it for real, but I would probably do it in small groups at first, maybe 10 or 20.
If that goes OK, then you can run the remaining notes.

To run this script:

1. Open EN Mac
  2. Select the note(s) to be processed
  3. Open the script in Script Editor (SE)
  4. Compile and run the script from SE.

At the bottom of the SE window there is a log output that will list the Notes as they are processed.  If you don't see the log, click on the log icon at the very bottom of the window:

SE-Log-Panel.png

I believe this script will perform as expected, changing the "author" field, but I offer no warranties, express or implied.  Use at your own risk.  I have performed limited testing, but can offer no guarantees.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Archived