Best way to keep work and personal notes separated

Right now, my entire life is in one account. I'd like to keep the two separated, mostly to avoid distraction. For example, have a work account that is active on my work computer and a personal account that is active on my personal computer. The downside is that a lot of my work notes contain code snippets that I like to use in my personal programming projects.

Ideally, I would like to be able to easily view both work and personal accounts on my personal computer, but not able to view my personal account on my work computer. What would be the simplest way to accomplish this? Evernote Premium has the "Add Another User" feature but perhaps there is another way.

Lastly, I am aware that on my work computer, I could simply log out of my work account and into my personal account if I really wanted to be distracted by personal stuff. But at least logging in and out is something cumbersome and therefore undesirable, versus what I have now in which there's no barrier whatsoever.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, razzendahcuben said:

Right now, my entire life is in one account. I'd like to keep the two separated, mostly to avoid distraction.

I've seen people with two separate accounts.  
And also using shared notebooks for the data that is pertinent to both.

There's also having separate Work and Personal notebooks.

My preference would be to use Work and Personal tags.  
Some notes can be tagged with both.  
Searches can be set up to exclude one or the other.  
An idea from @JMichaelTX would be to prefix the tag names with .nb as in .nb-Work  

28 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I've seen people with two separate accounts. And also using shared notebooks for the data that is pertinent to both.

Thanks. This is probably the simplest solution, then, plus it appears that I won't need to upgrade either account.

• Level 5*

@razzendahcuben

1.  You could tag your notes as work or home, or only tag one set and assume the others are the opposite.  You may have to do a search inclusion or exclusion on the work/home tag when searching.

2.  You could create a Work Stack and a Home Stack and put your notebooks in the appropriate stack.  Then an All Notes search sees everything and a Stack search only looks at the notes in either stack.

3.  If you want only one account and don't want to see your home notes on your work computer you could make all your home notebooks local.  Not such a good option IMO since you lose the sync process, history function if premium member, etc.

4.  To your point have an account for home and an account for work.

I have opted for the second option, but I'm biased to having things in one place.  To be clear not all of my home notebooks appear in the Home Stack at work since some of them are local.  Anyway, you can kick the tires on these methods without too much pain.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, razzendahcuben said:

Ideally, I would like to be able to easily view both work and personal accounts on my personal computer, but not able to view my personal account on my work computer. What would be the simplest way to accomplish this?

1 hour ago, razzendahcuben said:

The downside is that a lot of my work notes contain code snippets that I like to use in my personal programming projects.

Although I personally prefer to have both my business and personal stuff in the same account (but separated using top-level tags), given your desire (above), I think the optimum solution for you is most likely two separate accounts:

1. Once you have logged in to both accounts on the same PC, you can easily switch (without logout/login) between accounts using the "Switch to ..." account under your account name at the top of the Evernote window.
    1. In order to do this, one of the account may need to be a Premium account, but I'm not sure.
  2. From your work account, you can share a NB with the code snippets
  3. From your personal account, you can join this shared NB.

Since you can get a free Evernote account, I'd suggest that your test this approach, using a minimal number of notes in the new account.  
If this does not work for you, then the other options would be to separate work and personal using:

1. Separate stacks/notebooks
  2. Separate pseudo notebooks (top-level tags)
    (for more info, see Using Tags as Pseudo Notebooks )

Archived