Can Evernote get configurable tab width?

Others

I'm an avid programmer, and I love using Evernote to keep track of all the projects I start but never finish. Sometimes I use Evernote to jot down some quick pseudocode, or to store some code to look at later. This works great, as it keeps all my ideas and thoughts in one place, Evernote. However, the unconfigurable behavior of the tab key in Evernote bothers me more than it probably should. Obviously, I indent stuff a lot when coding, and often copy and paste the raw code written in Evernote into a real IDE. (Which Evernote is not.) However I've noticed that the code I paste in consistently has non-standard indenting. Investigating more closely, I've noticed that the tab key, which I use for indentation, isn't really a tab key in Evernote. Instead, hitting tab simply inserts 5 spaces into the note. I don't mind that the tab key doesn't insert a true "tab" character, but it bothers me that Evernote inserts 5 spaces for indentation. I've never seen a style guide in my life, for programming or otherwise, that recommends five spaces for indentation. I really wish that Evernote would insert 4 spaces instead. I understand that changing the default might be a non-starter, since it is probably the way it is for a reason, but can we at least get a configuration option for tab size?

• Level 5*

Hi.  Evernote are running a project to improve the editor software across all platforms,  so hopefully this will be one of the results in due course.  You could raise this as a specific Feature Request (just change the title of this post).  Currently though your best bet is to use another editor and attach documents to your notes,  or to use a text expander like Phrase Express to create a hotkey for 4 spaces that you can use instead of the not-tab key.

• Level 5*
On 1/20/2016 at 9:27 PM, Others said:

However, the unconfigurable behavior of the tab key in Evernote bothers me more than it probably should. Obviously, I indent stuff a lot when coding, and often copy and paste the raw code written in Evernote into a real IDE

You may want to consider using Quiver The Programmer's Notebook for a real code snippet manager.  I make good use of both Evernote and Quiver.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

PLEASE do make the tab configurable. This should be rather easy i would think. I too am a developer and 5 space distance is not compatible with anything from code writing. Four is very popular, some go shorter with 3 or even 2. If you are doing multiple indents, 5 uses up too much space too fast.  If you can't make this configurable, consider dropping it to 4. 

• 7 months later...

So the new editor has been released, but this still seems to be something that you can't amend?

In a text editor like sublime, there is a simple way of configuring if you want Tab to actually tab, or input X spaces (where X is configurable).

Any updates on this one, Evernote?

Archived