How insert "carriage return" in note on Evernote basic on Mac?

• Level 5*

If the source material contains a c/r,  your paste should do so too;  but normally to insert a return,  click on the insertion point and use your keyboard.  That may or may not have surprising effects depending on what other formatting applies to the paragraph.  I assume you've tried that - what happened?

I assume also your feature request is related...https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/93391-feature-request-preserve-carriage-returns/

• Level 5*
On 1/16/2016 at 7:18 PM, tavojir said:

Can someone tell me how to insert a "carriage return" in a note on Evernote basic on Mac? I can not find how to do that in the Help section.

I'm not sure I understand your question.  Doesn't pressing the RETURN key provide a return?

If you are having trouble editing test you have pasted from elsewhere, try going to Format > Simplify Format to remove strange formatting and/or behavior.

Hi, 

Thanks for the information.  Problem fixed. 

Details (if anyone cares): 

I (mistakenly) assumed (yes, I know) that copying-and-pasting from Apple Notes would just carry-over the text with no "funny" stuff. 

It appears one needs to Evernote Mac "Paste and match style". 

A simple copy-and-paste dropped the text such that I could edit the text at will, EXCEPT, upon entering "Return" (carriage-retune, newline), the cursor jumped to the line below the block of text.  It would not move the remaining text to a new line.  I tried all combinations of Option, Shift, Control, Apple with Return - all with no change of behavior. 

Once outside the block of pasted text, everything worked just fine. 

For the block of dropped text, the "Simply formatting" command is not available - grayed-out; shows fine for paste-and-match text. 

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, tavojir said:

I (mistakenly) assumed (yes, I know) that copying-and-pasting from Apple Notes would just carry-over the text with no "funny" stuff. 

Thanks for the details

I would have made the same assumption.
I'd be interested if anyone can explain what the issue is.
You can type in the pasted text, you just can't add a carriage return.

I'd also be interested in the "Carriage Return" issue
Its not specific to Evernote but there are CR and LF and so on.
On my Mac keyboard, on the key it says enter and return; I have no Carriage ? (obscure reference to old typewriters)
I ran up against this in Applescript when parcing a cvs file; I had to resort to ascii codes.

• Level 5*
43 minutes ago, tavojir said:

I just tried a simple test, copy from Apple Notes to EN Mac, and it worked fine for me -- no issues with adding a RETURN in the middle of the pasted text.
Perhaps your Apple Note was created from a paste of a web page?

44 minutes ago, tavojir said:

For the block of dropped text, the "Simply formatting" command is not available - grayed-out; shows fine for paste-and-match text. 

Very strange.  I've never seen Simplify formatting not work, and I use it often.  You might try going to the very top of your EN Note, don't select anything, and then choose Simplify Formatting.  If nothing is selected, it should apply to the whole note.  If it is still not working, then you may want to submit a bug report.

• 4 months later...

Same issue here:  was pasting a block of text into the first line; then couldn't add line breaks (CRs).  Thanks to the previous post (@maccamb), found that Evernote treats text pasted on the first line as the title of the note which then does not allow line breaks.

Fix:  gave my note a title on the first line.  Hit "enter," then pasted the block of text on the next line.  Success!

Archived