Request: option for note thumbnails to be image only without text covering thumbnail image

Matt960

Idea

Hi,

I remember way back in version 4, note thumbnails were resizable images with title text underneath the thumbnail – the perfect view for any designer, photographer or visual-based collection of notes.

The current view used by evernote has a large white space for text covering over 1/3 of the cards  (also notice the forced and awkward cropping of the images):

5698cd8b476c3_ScreenShot2016-01-15at10.3

I would like an option to view thumbnails more like this:

5698cd8a0fde1_ScreenShot2016-01-15at10.3

I think the advantages and overall improvement on both usability and user-experience in the layout used in the second screenshot is clear when comparing. More of the image is viewable in the thumbnail and the cropping is much more intelligent and useful, which makes scanning a large collection of note thumbnails easier.

Please add an option for a view like this. I believe it to be the single most important feature evernote needs and would be a huge improvement for designers, photographers and anybody who primarily collects images with evernote.

Thanks

Matt

5 replies to this idea

I've started a similar thread back in 2014, but there's zero progress on the issue, and there's no indication that anything is happening anytime soon, so I wouldn't keep my hopes up. 

I've given up personally and moved my imagery to another app (Inboard in my case but there's a number of other options). No reason to pay for the Premium plan anymore since most of my notes are textual now and fit the Basic plan just fine.

It's a pity because I really liked having Evernote as a library for everything and didn't mind paying for that at all. Guess my use-case just doesn't fit this company's business plan anymore. It used to.

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, laaurora said:

It's a pity because I really liked having Evernote as a library for everything

I use Evernote for filing everything, with the exception of photos and music.
These items are better handled in dedicated apps.
I'm not seeing this as a high priority request; check the vote counts on both requests.

@laaurora Many thanks for the Inboard link – very helpful, I'll take a look. I agree its a pity – I would have liked to keep everything in one place too. It still feels like evernote is missing a trick not being as attractive to designers, photographers and similar folks – especially when it seems like a fairly simple interface option (and something they use to have!).

46 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I use Evernote for filing everything, with the exception of photos and music.
These items are better handled in dedicated apps.
I'm not seeing this as a high priority request; check the vote counts on both requests.

Music and photos are better managed with other apps indeed. Files that are updated often (office, graphics, code etc) are also better managed with apps like Dropbox.

Evernote used to work great for visual inspiration and reference though. Things like screenshots, image-heavy articles and images saved from the web are not something you want to keep with ordinary photos.

• Right-clicking an image in the browser to save it to EN with a link to the source automatically attached is really convenient for collecting.
  • Having 1 note represent a whole project with a bunch of similar images and some textual description is something no photo-managing app can give you.
  • Tutorials where you have 1 key image and a lot of text and additional images explaining how to get there are also best found visually but can't go into a photo app.
  • Advanced tagging and search are also a huge plus when you are looking for that 'contact form screenshot from the You-Name-It site'.

I've collected thousands of images with Evernote throughout the years. In many ways the benefits of this app are impossible to reproduce. But none of this matters when browsing this carefully collected data is such a pain. It wasn't always this way. The Evernote I began to use did have the thumbnails that were

• non-cropped (full & kept the aspect ratio)
  • resizable
  • had non-intrusive titles
  • stood well against the darker gray background

That worked really really well, I used it and I paid for it. And I can't understand why making things so unusable was such a high priority to start with.

It's the decision the EN team made though and I did not come here to demand they accommodate my particular needs. Just letting the OP know that waiting and hoping can take a bit of forever in this case.

Archived