Windows 10, Lost Data, Restore from local backup

When I upgraded my PC to Windows 10, I lost my Evernote data. As a result, I had to reinstall. The problem is I had several local notebooks, which were lost. Fortunately (I think) I made a complete backup of my EN folder before the upgrade to Windows 10. (I also have the ENEX export files of the local notebooks that are a few weeks old, which I would rather not rely upon since they are dated.). I can't though figure out exactly how to restore from my local EN backup. Here's what I think, but please let me know if I'm missing something or need to do something else.

1. I will disable my Internet access.

2. Open EN on my desktop, Tools, Options, General tab, and change the path of Evernote local files to the location of my local EN backup, and then click on OK.

At that point, I'm hoping EN will open with the data from the backup. if so,

3. Then re-enable my Internet access to allow sync.

Does anyone know if I have this right? I'm hesitate to experiment because I'm afraid of losing more data.

Thanks for any help I can get!

Michael

p.s. - BTW, I filed a help desk ticket -- I'm a premium subscriber -- a couple of days of ago, but other than an automated response asking for the activity log which I then supplied, I didn't hear from EN technical support.

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, redmondm0 said:

Open EN on my desktop, Tools, Options, General tab, and change the path of Evernote local files to the location of my local EN backup, and then click on OK.

My process would be to copy the backup data to the current location.

• Level 5*
43 minutes ago, redmondm0 said:

2. Open EN on my desktop, Tools, Options, General tab, and change the path of Evernote local files to the location of my local EN backup, and then click on OK.

I wouldn't do that, because you risk losing your backup, if something goes wrong.  Almost always you want to copy the backup to the original location, and let the app use that.

Archived