Can't drag & drop images into Word

Others have asked this question over half a year ago in the Skitch forum here with not a single reply.  I'm surprised at the lack of support.

Since I have the same issue and it's relevant for general discussions, I thought I'd create a post here.

We were able to capture an image in Skitch and simply drag & drop it into a Word doc in the office (Windows 7).  At home though (Windows 7, 8 and 10), it cannot be done.  No errors, the image just doesn't drag and drop into Word.

Any ideas what could be going on? Losing some productivity here since our Word docs have dozens of captured images each.

Thanks

• Level 5*

Hi.  How are you getting to the images in the first place?  Are these generated by Skitch and stored in a Word document attached to a note?  I just tried copying and pasting an image from desktop Skitch into another app and it worked fine...

Hi there.  I just took a screenshot (from the windows built in snipping tool) and attached it to this reply.

All I'm doing is:

1. Open Skitch

2. Click on "Screen Snip" (window format) on the top of the Skitch tool.

3. Click and drag the Skitch window around anything I want to capture an image of.

4. The image shows in the Skitch window as captured

5. I click and hold on the "Drag Me" feature on the bottom of the Skitch window.

6. I move the Drag Me / Skitch over into a Word doc and release the mouse button.

7. At the office this results in the captured image being pasted inside the Word doc.  At home nothing happens in Word.  No errors, just the normal Skitch window with the capture images is sitting there looking at me.  I then need to save the image locally, go into the word doc, open/insert the saved image.  Defeats the purpose of the "Drag Me" feature.

Thanks.

temp.PNG

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Well,  with Skitch 2.3.2.176 (which you have until 22 Jan to download from here - https://evernote.com/skitch/) I just grabbed a piece of a web page,  and dragged to Word (Office 2013) and got the clipped paste instantly in Win 8.1..

I'd suggest a restart of your system,  and maybe an uninstall/ reinstall for Skitch to see whether you can find a reason for your issue...

Skitch.jpg

On 1/16/2016 at 3:44 AM, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  Well,  with Skitch 2.3.2.176 (which you have until 22 Jan to download from here - https://evernote.com/skitch/) I just grabbed a piece of a web page,  and dragged to Word (Office 2013) and got the clipped paste instantly in Win 8.1..

I'd suggest a restart of your system,  and maybe an uninstall/ reinstall for Skitch to see whether you can find a reason for your issue...

Skitch.jpg

Thanks for the help.  I'm using MS Office Pro 2013 as well.  I'm using Skitch 2.3.2.176.  My main computer at home is Windows 8.1. 

So, yours works fine and mine doesn't.  Hmm..

You and I are using the exact same version of:  Office, Windows and Skitch.

This has been going on for a while now (many reboots of the computer) so I'll try to uninstall and reinstall Skitch.

Okay, just uninstalled Skitch, downloaded the latest version, rebooted the computer and reinstalled Skitch.  Same issue.  I can take a screenshot, drag and drop just fine into a new browser tab, onto my desktop as a jpg file, I just can't drag and drop into Word.  When I click to drag and move it into my Word doc, I see the + sign which indicates it should be able to drag and drop into that app.  Otherwise it would be a O with a line through it.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  I hate it when everything says something should be working,  but it obstinately refuses to do so.  If you're a paying customer, I'd suggest raising a support ticket - if not,  then at least a bug report - and submitting your Activity Log.  Scroll to the bottom of this page to click the 'Contact Support' button.  Having rebooted and reinstalled most of the moving parts here,  I can't think of anything more to check out - maybe someone else here can...

• Level 5*
On 1/14/2016 at 2:07 PM, Honkanen said:

We were able to capture an image in Skitch and simply drag & drop it into a Word doc in the office (Windows 7).  At home though (Windows 7, 8 and 10), it cannot be done.  No errors, the image just doesn't drag and drop into Word.

Does copy/paste work for you?

15 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

Does copy/paste work for you?

Never thought to try Edit - Copy from Skitch and paste into Word.  Just tried it and yes, it does work.  So the drag and drop feature just doesn't work then. (which does make reports go by more smoothly)

No, I'm not a paying customer.  I was a happy customer though until now. ;-)

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Honkanen said:

Edit - Copy from Skitch and paste into Word.  Just tried it and yes, it does work

If you use the shortcuts for Copy (CTRL-C) and Paste (CTRL-V), it should go just as fast, maybe faster than drag/drop.  With copy/paste you can ALT-TAB to quickly switch between apps and don't have to worry about both apps being visible at the same time.

Just now, JMichaelTX said:

If you use the shortcuts for Copy (CTRL-C) and Paste (CTRL-V), it should go just as fast, maybe faster than drag/drop.  With copy/paste you can ALT-TAB to quickly switch between apps and don't have to worry about both apps being visible at the same time.

Yes, I use shortcuts and alt-tab all day.  I'll continue with that instead of the drag and drop broken feature.  Thanks

Archived