Comment on a note

Jiang Chang

Idea

Hi there, 

I really think that the feature of comment on notes is very useful for a note-taking application, because I really need to remember the ideas which are inspired while I am reading notes. I know that there is a feature called "Annotate this note", but it is a heavy function for common cases.  

• Like 4

10 replies to this idea

When Work Chat was first introduced I was flat out against it because it just seemed like yet another iMessage or Skype message chat system and with Evernote notes or folders added.  More so, I really hated the way that became the only way to share folders -- I still pretty much dislike that. 

However, what we all really need is comments on notes -- especially in Evernote for Business.  I have tried Evernote for Business a few times and really feel that it needs a a note-based (not a general Work Chat) interface so that the company members of a given notebook can leave comments about individual notes.  Yes there are workarounds as suggested above -- double lines and all that -- but they are hopelessly tiresome and really powerless in group situations.   There needs to be an interface to comment on notes in a multiuser environment.  

I currently use Azendoo for really the simple capability of taking Evernote notes and being able to comment on them, and see an activity stream of those comments.  It's like my own Facebook of my own company Evernote notes on a topic.   Why on earth does this have to happen with an external product like Azendoo?  (No disrespect to them -- they have done a great job).  But why can't this be an internal feature of Evernote.  What's more is that Azendoo doesn't work offline whereas Evernote does.

Even more so I have highlighted text in so many notes.  Why can't I search for only notes that contain highlights, or better yet be able to comment on those highlights themselves?

I have been with Evernote since it's founding in 2008 I continue to be committed to it's great note capturing capabilities.  I have lots and lots of data in the notebooks.  But now I really believe it's time to advance the note beyond the simply shared note to the actionable, commented upon, business building block note flows streams.  

• Like 5
  • Level 5*
21 hours ago, Jiang Chang said:

I really think that the feature of comment on notes is a very useful for a note-taking application

I agree, but I have no idea when or if Evernote will provide such a feature.

Until then, I have found this as a pretty good workaround:

• At the top (or bottom) of the actual note, add a pair of horizontal lines
  • These will serve to separate the original note from your comments
  • Then, between the lines, say something like "MY COMMENTS:" along with a date/time stamp, and enter your comments.
  • If it is important to you to know which notes have "comments", you can always assign a tag of "Comments", or whatever makes sense to you.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

Hmmn.  There's actually no way to 'comment' a text note - other than by adding new lines at the top or the bottom.  It's possible to save some comments in a Word or PDF document and add a commentary using the features built in to the individual apps or to Evernote (for PDFs and pictures only).  Or I can imagine that you could create a 'master' note with headings like 'my plan to take over the world...' and some further commentary plus a link to the actual note containing the Master Plan.  Don't see why Evernote would spend time trying to annotate a standard note though - how many extra paying users would they attract from this feature?

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, AlexB4 said:

But now I really believe it's time to advance the note beyond the simply shared note to the actionable, commented upon, business building block note flows streams.  

I see the value in your request, and it would be a helpful feature.  However, I'm not sure that we can expect Evernote to provide these types of features in the near future.  They have recently (last year) stated that they have returned focus to their core product.

In spite of their ads to the contrary, Evernote is a poor collaboration and project management tool.

In the meantime, you may want to take a look at  IQTell.  It does everything you are asking for, and much more.  It is a great, inexpensive, Project/Task manager that tightly integrates with Evernote.   There is a section attached to all actions, tasks, projects, etc, that allows comments by your team members.  So, IMO, the combination of Evernote and IQTell is a great system.

I agree. I type a lot of notes during class. Sometimes I need to create boxes, arrows, etc, to make simple diagrams that the professor is drawing on the board. I want to do this in evernote, but I can't annotate over a text note. Only over images or PDFs. 

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, mattobrien415 said:

I agree. I type a lot of notes during class. Sometimes I need to create boxes, arrows, etc, to make simple diagrams that the professor is drawing on the board. I want to do this in evernote, but I can't annotate over a text note. Only over images or PDFs. 

I honestly don't see the Evernote editor as the tool for this.  I need to type, hand write, draw etc.   

I use Notability on my iPad; when finished, I export as PDF to Evernote

On 28.3.2017 at 7:05 PM, mattobrien415 said:

how can I write comments over an image or pdf? 

Thank you in advance!

I have a workaround that I've been using but admittedly it's quite a pain in the *ss! I will put my notes in a table with two columns and a bunch of rows. I will write my notes in the left column, and when it's time to go back and review to add notes, i will add my notes in the right column. I will also isolate the paragraph with the note in the right column to its own row and move the rest of the note down into another row...this gets repeated until i reach the end. 

I know this is a pain and it is! When I don't want to deal with this, I just use Google Docs and have been doing that lately. 

Additionally, if I clip an article into a note, I will move the entire article into a table, the steps described above.

It's been four years since this feature was requested and still no indication that this feature is being worked on. :(