Jump to content
We apologize for the inconvenience, but chat support is currently unavailable. Please feel free to submit an email ticket or reach out at discussion.evernote.com. Thank you for understanding. ×
MindStorm

How to set default notebook on Mac?

Recommended Posts

I used to always see my primary notebook when I launched EverNote on my Mac.  Now I always see "all notes," which includes a bunch of stuff from stuff I do not want to see.  How can I tell the Mac that I ALWAYS want it to launch showing "Burt EN" notebook??

Share this post


Link to post

in the left column select Notebooks> in the right column list of notebooks hover over the notebook you want to be your default.  Right click>Set As Default Notebook 

Share this post


Link to post

That is where I would have expected it. However, there is no "set as default" in the menu.  Here is a screenshot of my menu (I hope...).  Not sure that is showing up...

My right-click menu shows:

New Notebook, divider, Present, Present on Another Screen, divider, Share Notebook, Publish Notebook, Notebook Settings, Rename Notebook, Delete Notebook, Add to Stack, Add Notebook to Shortcuts, divider, Short by name, Sort by count, Sort by updated

There ain't no "set as default"... :(

BTW, I am running EverNote 6.3 on Mac OS 10.11.2.  I believe those are both the most current.

 

Share this post


Link to post

dunno.  The only notebook in my list that i cannot set as default isn't really a notebook, it's a STACK.  

Worst case, slightly change the name of the current Bert EN.  Create a new notebook>Burt EN, set it as default>transfer the notes from the old to the new.  Delete the old.  Sync. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, MindStorm said:

 

That is where I would have expected it. However, there is no "set as default" in the menu.  Here is a screenshot of my menu (I hope...).  Not sure that is showing up...

My right-click menu shows:

New Notebook, divider, Present, Present on Another Screen, divider, Share Notebook, Publish Notebook, Notebook Settings, Rename Notebook, Delete Notebook, Add to Stack, Add Notebook to Shortcuts, divider, Short by name, Sort by count, Sort by updated

 

Click on Notebook Settings.  
There is a checkbox in there for Set this as default notebook

Note: This is the default when posting messages, as in email
I don't know of a default view when opening evente

Edited by DTLow
Added clarification that this was not for a default view

Share this post


Link to post

Well,  I found that if I go to the settings, there is a greyed out checkbox for "set this as default" and the box _is_ checked.  Indeed, when I use EN on my iPhone, it always comes up to that notebook.

However, on my Mac, the display always comes up with "all my notes" and I have to go to the top menu and change to the specific notebook I want.  The Mac does _not_ set the launch display to that notebook -- like it used to (many months back) and like I want.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, DTLow said:

Click on Notebook Settings.  
There is a checkbox in there for Set this as default notebook

Yep. Found that. Greyed out, but already checked.  My iPhone does properly go to that notebook by default.  However, my Mac does not.  Instead, the Mac opens with "all my notes" which has notes from every notebook I have.  I want it to _only_ display the notes from this notebook when it launches -- which is the way it worked some months ago.

Share this post


Link to post

 

4 minutes ago, MindStorm said:

Well,  I found that if I go to the settings, there is a greyed out checkbox for "set this as default" and the box _is_ checked.  Indeed, when I use EN on my iPhone, it always comes up to that notebook.

Right - as per the subject title

Sorry, this isn't the default for when you're opening evernote
Its the default when messages get posted, for example by email

Share this post


Link to post

So, how do I get it to open to show my primary notebook, as I asked in my initial post?

This used to work properly. It broke in the last month or two.  And yes, as it is now, it is BROKEN.  No way in Heck do I want notes from every notebook displayed when I launch EN on my Mac.  I have my notes organized by name, and each notebook has its own "00-xxxx" note that I want to always be on top.  With this new "all my notes" all those 00-xxx notes show, instead of the primary notebook in which I do my daily work... :( 

Share this post


Link to post

This works on Windows.  Go to the notebook you want to be your default when you open EN and then click File - Exit.  When you restart EN that notebook should display.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, csihilling said:

This works on Windows.  Go to the notebook you want to be your default when you open EN and then click File - Exit.  When you restart EN that notebook should display.

Thanks, but no go.  That is how it used to work on the Mac too. EN would open to the last display when last quit. Not no more though... :(  (I did double-test before replying, just to be sure I hadn't been stupid before...)

Share this post


Link to post

Well, sorry about that.  Yeah, I just tested again on Windows and File - Exit still preserves the settings, x'ing out still doesn't preserve them.

Bug report time?

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Well, sorry about that.  Yeah, I just tested again on Windows and File - Exit still preserves the settings, x'ing out still doesn't preserve them.

Bug report time?

I normally just command-Q to exit.  However, I did try the "Evernote->Quit" (which is where it in the menu on the Mac) and relaunch to test, after your prior note.  Still opens to "all my notes." :( 

I suppose if it really is a bug rather than an intended change of behavior, then a bug report is in order.  I have not liked some of their intentional changes in the past though, so not sure if this is another of those "we know better than you what you want" (like Apple has started doing more and more...) or a new bug.

Share this post


Link to post

Agreed, sometimes it is hard to differentiate the special "features" from the bugs.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, MindStorm said:

That is how it used to work on the Mac too. EN would open to the last display when last quit. Not no more though.

Yep, I can confirm this change in behavior in EN Mac 6.3 on Yosemite (10.10.5).

Don't know if this is a bug or a conscious design change.  I don't like it either.  
If Evernote really wanted to be user-friendly they would give us a choice in Preferences:

  • Open in same state as closed
  • Open to Notebook:  <pick a NB>
  • Open to All Notes
  • Open to Saved Search: <pick a Search>

As a workaround, if you have Keyboard Maestro you can set a macro to run when an app opens.  The macro could then set whatever state you'd like.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...