Single Note Won't Sync

I have evernote synced on a MacPro, a MacBook Pro, an old Android I have yet to recycle, a new Android and a tablet. I have one new note on the MacPro that won't sync to the other devices. I just created a new test note on the MacPro and it synced, but the other note will not. I'm sure I'll need to offer some specifics, but not sure what they are. Here are some.

Both computers are running Evernote v. 6.3

Desktop is running OS 10.10.5 and

Laptop is running 10.9.5

I just copied the content of the note into a new note and gave it the same name 'v2'. That synced. But I'd still like to know how to prevent this. I don't check all my devices for syncing before walking away from the one I wrote on.

Not sure what other information to offer.

Martin

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Martinnel said:

I just copied the content of the note into a new note and gave it the same name 'v2'. That synced. But I'd still like to know how to prevent this. I don't check all my devices for syncing before walking away from the one I wrote on.

Evernote sync is not as robust as it should be.  But until Evernote makes some changes we have to learn how to use what we have.

It is very difficult to diagnose a sync issue on one note remotely.  Notes can become corrupt, or partially corrupt for a variety of reasons.  It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.  When it does, the note may not sync.

Frankly, it's not worth a lot of time/effort to determine the exact cause for one note.  If it happens repeatedly, often, then that's a different issue that would clearly need to be resolved.

While it is less than ideal, I have found it best to manually sync, and sync often.

I have found the following to be helpful in preventing sync issues:

1. Use multiple short Notes rather than one long Note that has many/frequent edits
  2. Consistently do a manual sync, and sync often, especially after:
    1. Entry/Edit of an important note
    2. End of Session BEFORE you close or put your machine to sleep
    3. End of Day
    4. Start using a different device
      1. Even if you notice the Sync icon spinning on EN iOS when you switch to the app, do a manual sync anyway after it finishes spinning
      2. I have noticed that the initial sync does NOT always do a full sync.
      3. I'm not sure about Android devices, but I would do the same just to be safe.
  • Level 5*
16 minutes ago, Martinnel said:

That was both helpful and discouraging

I understand.  EN sync is not what we want it to be.  However, it is better to recognize its shortcomings/limitations, although discouraging, so that we can workaround or avoid them.  ;)  At this point, manual syncs are like muscle memory for me -- I just automatically do them, and I rarely have a sync issue.

• 9 months later...

I have a similar issue.

Using EN on iOS and El Capitan.

Have updated to latest versions on all devices.

Luckily noticed one note missing from a notebook on Mac.  It did sync from iPad to Web correctly.

Have done all EN troubleshooting steps, including emptying EN trash, deleting and reinstalling.

Not sure if relevant, but I used to have Premium, but I wasn't using all of those features, so went back to Basic (but only using on 2 devices, so ok).

I'm worried that there may be other individual notes not syncing, but would I really need to do a manual comparison of all my notes on both devices to see what isn't syncing???

Many thanks!

On 10/13/2016 at 4:20 AM, LantzTPE said:

I have a similar issue.

Using EN on iOS and El Capitan.

Have updated to latest versions on all devices.

Luckily noticed one note missing from a notebook on Mac.  It did sync from iPad to Web correctly.

Have done all EN troubleshooting steps, including emptying EN trash, deleting and reinstalling.

Not sure if relevant, but I used to have Premium, but I wasn't using all of those features, so went back to Basic (but only using on 2 devices, so ok).

I'm worried that there may be other individual notes not syncing, but would I really need to do a manual comparison of all my notes on both devices to see what isn't syncing???

Many thanks!

Hi @LantzTPE;

The application will automatically notify you via a pop up window if there are any sync errors with particular notes. If you click on "View" in the error window, the titles of the notes that aren't syncing will be displayed.

To manually identify if any particular notes are causing a sync error, you can try the following:

• Open Evernote
  • Select View > Activity Log from the menu bar
  • In the log, use the search bar to search for the word "error". If there are any errors with specific notes, they will shown in the window.
  • You can then use the following steps to recreate those notes in order to resolve any underlying error that might be causing the issue:

1. Copy and paste the content out of the referenced note into a new note
2. Delete the referenced note
3. Go to your 'Trash' notebook at the bottom of your notebooks list and delete the note from there so it's entirely removed from your account
4. Sync Evernote

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Archived