(Archived) Feature-Request: Fixed-Font

Hi there,

I'm a developer and I'm using Evernote for saving code snippets. What bugs me a lot is that it's impossible to use fixed-fonts and that code that I indented with tab-stops isn't lined up row for row. Is it possible to implement such a feature in one of the future versions of Evernote?

Thanks in advance.

• Level 5*

I seem to be able to use a mono-spaced typeface (my current favorite Consolas) on the Win 3.5 client.

Pasting from Visual Studio using Consolas came in with a mono-spaced typeface, quite small (size 8); oddly, the typeface display was blank, and the line spacing was a little funky (double-spaced, I think).Text colors from syntax highlighting in the editor are preserved. Tab characters were removed, and typing a tab in that section of text inserted spaces, while pasting a tab disappears.

Passting from a different editor (NotePad++, also using Consolas) came in as the current note typeface (Corbel in this case). Oddly, in this case, tab characters were preserved. Text colors were not preserved. Again, typing a tab character inserts spaces, but pasting tabs keeps them.

After selecting both of the above and converting them to Consolas, size 12. The Visual Studio clip remained in double-spacing, and the tab behavior was the same. The NP++ clip was in single-spacing, and its tab behavior remained the same.

In any case, you can use a mono-spaced typeface, but behavior may vary (probably depends on what clipboard formats are put out by the copy source).

~Jeff

Yeah, you're right, this is behavior is also true on Mac OS X in conjunction with Xcode. But that's far from being usable. I want an intuitive solution for that. I don't need syntax highlighting, but typing in mono-spaced fonttypes and using tabstops without using the clipboard would be nice.

• Level 5*

I'm trying to restrain myself on quirks and problems with note editing. I know there are numerous issues, and I am just being patient until the EN folks can sort them out. As I said, mono-spaced typefaces are supported, at least on Windows -- are you saying that they're not available to you at all on the Mac? The tab thingy can be disconcerting, I agree.

With regard to the syntax highlighting: under Windows at least, when an app puts stuff on the clipboard, it can do so in a number of formats, all of the same time. For example, clipping from Visual Studio puts it on in Plain Text, Unicode Text, OEM Text and Rich Text among others, all at the same time. Notepad++ puts it on in Plain Text, Unicode Text and OEM Text. Anyone reading the clipboard can choose which available format in which to receive the data. I reckon that EverNote will take Rich Text if it can get it, and bounce back to 'plainer' formats if need be, hence the difference between the two examples. You can always paste without formatting if you want to avoid rich text. Again, I don't know how this works on the Mac, though.

~Jeff

Archived