(Archived) Don't See Plug-ins in Firefox or Outlook

I have the new beta windows client installed in Vista and am running Firefox 2.012 and Outlook 2007. I have the clipper icon in IE, but not Firefox (I've tried the "customize toolbar" thing, too). :D Also, there is no Evernote extension installed in Firefox. I also don't have any extension in Outlook. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing, but still no joy. Does anyone have any ideas?

I have the new beta windows client installed in Vista and am running Firefox 2.012 and Outlook 2007. I have the clipper icon in IE, but not Firefox (I've tried the "customize toolbar" thing, too). :D Also, there is no Evernote extension installed in Firefox. I also don't have any extension in Outlook. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing, but still no joy. Does anyone have any ideas?

Smaug,

I am sorry to hear of your difficulties. :(

As I run Windows XP Home (SP2), IE7, and Outlook 2007, the best I can do is to try to help with Outlook. There have been a number of threads on the EN 2.2 sub-forum about where to look in Outlook to see if the EN 2.2 Clipper is installed in Outlook (which is a different issue than whether the clipper is showing in the Outlook tool bar). So for Outlook I think your first step is to search the forum to look for the Outlook 2007 technique for confirming that the clipper is in fact installed in Outlook.

Based on my own experiences with Outlook 2007 and the EN 2.2 clippers, I would suggest the following:

1. [*:c908d]Disable Outlook from automatically running at start-up, if you have had Outlook so configured in the past.
    [*:c908d]Rebook.
    [*:c908d]Uninstall EverNote.
    [*:c908d]Reboot.
    [*:c908d]Install EverNote.

Outlook has the habit of not really closing down fully, and continuing to run in the background. If Outlook is running (even in the background) the EN 2.2 Clipper can not install properly. I suspect that the same will be true of the EN3b Clipper for Outlook. The mildly tedious process I describe above is the one I use to install new versions of EverNote.

As to FireFox, can you see the Clipper at all when you try to reconfigure the tool bar? Or is the Clipper not present at all in the list of installed tool bar elements? (I am way out of my depth with FF, I am just reasoning using general principles here.)

Please restart Firefox and Outlook. When it comes to fresh installation, EN3 does not force the user to close these applications at the moment of the installation, but notifies that you have to restart these applications in order to use clippers.

And to get the full picture: do you have Evernote 2.x (or 1.x) installed in parallel with Evernote 3.0? If yes, do they work fine with abovementioned Firefox and Outlook versions?

Thank you for the help. I have tried that, but it did not help. I:

1. Uninstalled evernote

2. Rebooted (Neither Outlook nor Firefox are configured to run at startup)

3. Reinstalled the beta

It still does not show up and I do not have Evernote 2 installed.

1. Uninstalled evernote

2. Rebooted (Neither Outlook nor Firefox are configured to run at startup)

3. Reinstalled the beta

... and now restart both Outlook and Firefox (this is required _after_ you install EN3).

Hmm. I do know that. The fact that the computer had been restarted and they had not been open means they can't be restarted as they had not be started yet.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem: I cannot find a clipper button (not the web clipper) in either Firefox or IE after installing Evernote 3. And will a Thunderbird clipper be developed to work with Evernote 3?

Me too. Installed EN3 (EN2 stays installed) - did all the Clipper stuff, did the shut down/restart Firefox stuff - no clipper anywhere except in IE7, which I never use. Don't really want to re-install firefox. Must say - I know this is beta but even so this is pretty basic stuff!

I had the same problem.

I had to do a couple things to get the plug-in installed.

1. Enable the local Add-ons Install button in Firefox. See

http://ffextensionguru.wordpress.com/20 ... ll-button/

2. Create a zip file that contains all of the files below

C:\Program Files\Evernote\Evernote3\FfTbClipper

3. Rename that zip file with a .xpi extension.

4. Go to the "Tools | Add-ons" menu in Firefox. Click the Install button in the add-ons window. Browse to the .xpi file you created and install it.

5. Restart Firefox.

That worked for me.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

Archived