BUG: Displayed image is inconsistent across devices

I'm actually reporting two, distinct-but-related issues, here:

(1) In notes that contain more than one image, the algorithm that determines which image will be displayed (in snippet or card view) produces unpredictable results.

(2) In notes that contain more than one image, the image that's displayed in Evernote Mac is typically (and frustratingly) NOT the image that's displayed — for the very same notes — in Evernote for iOS.

Details:

(1) I have many notes that contain multiple images. I usually have to do a little "dance" to get Evernote Mac to display the image that I want displayed (in snippet or card view), because the algorithm is unpredictable. If there's only one image, no problem. If a 2nd or 3rd image is added beneath the first image, the first image usually remains the one displayed. But if there are 3 images, and you then delete the uppermost image, sometimes the uppermost of the two remaining images is displayed, and sometimes the lower of the two is displayed. Or if images are placed above existing images, again the results are unpredictable. This is very, very frustrating.

Furthermore...

(2) Once you get Evernote Mac to display the desired image in a note, if you also happen to use Evernote for iOS, you're in for a surprise, because Evernote for iOS typically displays a different image for thumbnail display than Evernote Mac displays.

This has burned me more than once. I know what image I'm accustomed to seeing on the Mac. Then later, when visiting that notebook on the iPhone or iPad, I'm scrolling up and down, looking for THAT image — only to discover, eventually, that the note I'm seeking was right there, all along — but was "disguised," because in every note that has multiple images, Evernote for iOS displays a different image as the thumbnail than Evernote for Mac does!

And there seems to be no way whatsoever to force Evernote for iOS to display the same image that Evernote Mac displays.

Has no one at Evernote noticed this flagrant bug?

It's infuriating.

• Level 5*

Yes, this behavior is very frustrating.

The solution, IMO, is to allow the user to designate which image will be used for the note list thumbnail.  This has been requested by many, many users for years, yet Evernote fails to make this simple, yet important change.

See REQUEST: Choosing a Thumbnail , started in 2011, with over 320 replies.

• 11 months later...

Archived