how to move Evernote config to a new user account on my Mac

my primary user account "eric" on my mac became corrupted and Iong story short after much troubleshooting, I gave up and just created a new user account, "eric2"

my Evernote 6.2.1 (AppStore) installation has all of its configuration files, including multiple Local notebooks, cached in ~eric

I'm searching for recommendations on the best way to move those configuration and local notebooks into ~eric2 

any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

eric/eric2

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, ek12 said:

after much troubleshooting, I gave up and just created a new user account, "eric2"

That seems to be the worse solution.  The better solution would be to reinstall Evernote, and have the data downloaded from the Evernote server.

This would not include local notebooks.  My understanding is the best way to reinstall local notebooks is with an export/import.

thanks.  to clarify, the new user account is a new Mac user account.  i am re-connecting to the same Evernote account, and did re-install and sync Evernote to the same Evernote account

The problem I have is with the Local notebooks, I have a lot of them and was hoping there would be an easier way than an individual export/import

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, ek12 said:

thanks.  to clarify, the new user account is a new Mac user account.  i am re-connecting to the same Evernote account, and did re-install and sync Evernote to the same Evernote account

The problem I have is with the Local notebooks, I have a lot of them and was hoping there would be an easier way than an individual export/import

Got it.  Do you still have the original user account on the Mac? If so, you now have two sets of Evernote folders, one for each user.  Possibly you could copy the old folder data to the new folder.  

I haven't done this and don't like messing around at this level. I would disconnect from the Internet while doing this - you don't want syncing going on at the same time.

thanks DTLow.  Yes, something like "copy the old Mac Folder over to this location, then click this to import the indexing" was what I was hoping could work.  agreed I'm concerned about the fragility of this, and of sync over-writing things.  

the only way I can think to do this is:

1. for each local notebook, created a Tag (e.g. "Tag-Notebook1" and Tag its contents"

2. move all notes into one local notebook.

3. Export / Import

4. then decide in the new user whether I want to re-split the Local notebook into multiple, or just live with tags.

that all feels like a lot of work, and I was hoping there was a more elegant way to avoid it :)

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, ek12 said:

something like "copy the old Mac Folder over to this location, then click this to import the indexing" was what I was hoping could work.  agreed I'm concerned about the fragility of this, and of sync over-writing things.

If Evernote was working fine in the old Mac user account, then you should be able to just copy the top-level Evernote folder (and all of its files/subfolders) and paste into the new Mac user account.  It's at least worth a try.  This would bring all of your Local Notebooks with it, which will not be affected by a sync.

See Location of Evernote Data Folder for EN Mac. 

On 1/8/2016 at 3:23 PM, JMichaelTX said:

If Evernote was working fine in the old Mac user account, then you should be able to just copy the top-level Evernote folder (and all of its files/subfolders) and paste into the new Mac user account.  It's at least worth a try.  This would bring all of your Local Notebooks with it, which will not be affected by a sync.

See Location of Evernote Data Folder for EN Mac. 

Thanks, I went ahead and tried this, used chown to reset permissions, and re-launched.  when I launched the Evernote client, it show all of the synchronized notebooks, but none of the local notebooks.  Perhaps an export/import is the only way to get the indexes right.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, ek12 said:

I went ahead and tried this, used chown to reset permissions, and re-launched.  when I launched the Evernote client, it show all of the synchronized notebooks, but none of the local notebooks.

That's very strange.  This should have worked, showing all notebooks, including local notebooks.  Without more information, It's hard to analyze why.

From a practical POV, maybe it's easiest for you to just do the export/import of your local notebooks.

Archived