where are Local notebooks stored?

I am trying to straighten out my file backup procedure.  The only notebook location I have seen documented is: 

C:\Users\[PC Name]\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases directory

However, Carbonite, which I'm using for backup, says that this is only for local copies of web-based notebooks.  

Are my local notes stored in the single <user name>.exb I see there, or someplace else??

While Web backup is mentioned, I was surprised the only coments about Local Notebooks is "to export them".

Thanks

• Level 5
33 minutes ago, ChrisA124 said:

Are my local notes stored in the single <user name>.exb I see there, or someplace else??

Yes, all your local notebooks and local notes (and your sync'd notebooks and sync'd notes) are stored in the single .EXB file.

• Level 5*

I'm on the Mac side and as I just found out, we don't have a .exb file

We are told the folder name, so that's what I back up.  I don't worry about the exact details for local notebooks.  It would be difficult to do a selected backup/restore.  I do a periodic html export of all my notes. You can do an enml export of the local notebooks.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, ChrisA124 said:

I was surprised the only coments about Local Notebooks is "to export them".

Being local, these notebooks are not present on the Evernote servers; so that can't be considered a backup.

While a proper backup would be focused on the data files, I would not want to restore my Evernote data using a backup. Things get a little hairy with the Evernote sync function.

So that leaves an export as a viable alternative. I do a separate one for each of my local notebooks. It's not a perfect solution.

Archived