evermullah

Idea

hi all,

on my mac, i have a note which contains text like:

26. soapUI 2.5
27. FOO. 2.5h
28. foo 7.5
29 foo doku 6h

1.2: 11-18 / foo / / foobar care wg. foobar (2.5)
1.2. kamopf mit mac, foobar care, übergabe vorbereiten(foo foobar)

and so on...

if i select all the text within the note with APPLE+A and APPLE+C and paste it into a new textfile, or openoffice or anywhere else,

the text looks ugly like:

26. soapUI 2.527. FOO. 2.5h28. foo 7.529 foo doku 6h1.2: 11-18 / foo / / foobar care wg. foobar (2.5)1.2. kamopf mit mac, foobar care, übergabe vorbereiten(foo foobar)

what can i do, to keep the formatting of the copied text?

5 replies to this idea

After selecting the text and copying to the clipboard, you should try using the Evernote Clipper Paste instead -- press Command+Control+V and the selected text will be pasted into a new Evernote item!

Does that improve the formatting for you?

Where did the content of that note originally come from?

I.e. did you type it all in manually within Evernote, or was it copied or clipped from another application?

I just tried this by typing a few lines into a new note, then copied and pasted into TextEdit, and it worked as expected, so there may be a particular combination of source+destination.

After selecting the text and copying to the clipboard, you should try using the Evernote Clipper Paste instead -- press Command+Control+V and the selected text will be pasted into a new Evernote item!

Does that improve the formatting for you?

hmm.. i did not knew about this. thanks.

two things:

1)

whats the equivalent key to "Command" on windows?

2)

i typed the text within EN and i'd like to paste it in any other program.

so its the other way arount, as your suggested trick.

i too trieds some program which allow me to paste with&without formating, but the result is always the same.

Where did the content of that note originally come from?

I.e. did you type it all in manually within Evernote, or was it copied or clipped from another application?

i started with typing it in EN.

but i guess, i wrote something in Textedit.app and then pasted it into the note.

anyways, i do not use any formatting options in Textedit.app (afaik)

I just tried this by typing a few lines into a new note, then copied and pasted into TextEdit, and it worked as expected, so there may be a particular combination of source+destination.

funny thing: it worked some days ago as expected. but now, it does not :-/

Ahhh....sorry! After re-reading your post, I see that I had it backwards!

To answer some of your questions:

1.) Often times, the Windows key matches up to the Command key (that is -- if you are using a Windows keyboard with your Mac). If not, it's easy to set it up to be that way in System Preferences=>Keyboard=>Modifier Keys.

2.) If you've already taken the step to use a program to try to cut-and paste the text from your note, it really isn't much of a leap to use an AppleScript to export text. I have written an AppleScript that exports notes your select to text files (RTF). Instructions and download link is here -- http://veritrope.com/tips/evernote-rtf-export.

thanks!

2.) If you've already taken the step to use a program to try to cut-and paste the text from your note, it really isn't much of a leap to use an AppleScript to export text. I have written an AppleScript that exports notes your select to text files (RTF). Instructions and download link is here -- http://veritrope.com/tips/evernote-rtf-export.

well, i tried exporting it the "normal" way with html-export and it works fine for me. (until now...)

so there is right now, no need for me to use your script.

but ;-)

it could come in quite handy, if:

i were able to start the script and it would save the selected note automaticly (anywhere, without nagging me), copy the content of the saved note to the clipboard, delete the saved note and, voila, i have the correct formattet text in the clipboard, ready for pasting :-)

this would save a lot of useless steps :)

cheers,

Archived