Help Importing Notes

Hello,

Hoping to find some help. I'm looking to transition from Pages to Evernote, however I'm having difficulty importing my notes from Pages. As shown in the attached screenshots, any Pages files appear translucent. I thought it may not accept Pages files, so I tried a Word document; that also will not allow itself to be imported. If I drag and drop the file, it appears as a .zip file, as seen in the second screenshot. I would assume you would then be able to download the .zip file into Evernote, however upon "Saving" the file, it just exports it back into my laptop's files. A step by step guide would be much appreciated, or perhaps it's not actually possible to do, whatever the case any help would be much appreciated. 

Regards,

Myles

Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 7.14.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 7.14.02 PM.png

• Level 5*

I'm not sure we have the same definition of import, but I don't think you can import Page files to Evernote.  You can include them as an attachment to a note, which is the zip file you're seeing.

Do you need to preserve them as Page documents?  My preference would be to use Pages to export the files to PDF format, and then attach thar file to a note.  Evernote is much more user friendly with PDF files.

7 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'm not sure we have the same definition of import, but I don't think you can import Page files to Evernote.  You can include them as an attachment to a note, which is the zip file you're seeing.

Do you need to preserve them as Page documents?  My preference would be to use Pages to export the files to PDF format, and then attach thar file to a note.  Evernote is much more user friendly with PDF files.

The simplest way of putting it is as follows: I would like all the words from my seperete Pages documents converted into seperate Evernote Notes, without simply selecting all and copying and pasting.

• Level 5*

Have you tried exporting to a text file format, saving it in an Evernote Import folder?  It should work, though I'm note sure.  Don't know if you can do it en mass either if it does work.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Myles said:

I'm looking to transition from Pages to Evernote, however I'm having difficulty importing my notes from Pages.

If I understand you correctly, you want the content of your Pages documents to become the content of your Evernote Notes, right?

EN Mac does not offer an "Import Folder" like EN Win.  The "Import" choice you see under File > Import, is for importing ENEX files.  No help there for you.

So, the choices I see available to you are:

1. Copy/paste -- not practical for a large number of files
  2. Write an AppleScript that will automate either:
    1. The copy/paste of content from Pages to Evernote 
    2. Get the HTML content of Pages, and create a new EN Note using that HTML content
  3. Use a tool like Keyboard Maestro to automate the copy/paste

There may be other options, but that's all I see for now to get the content of your Pages to Evernote Notes.

There a number of excellent Evernote AppleScripts at Veritrope .  You might take a look there.
One of the really great ones is the 
Evernote Import Folder, which I have used for years.

If you can settle for viewing, but not editing, your Pages content in Evernote, then as @DTLow suggested, you could convert your Pages docs to PDF files, and then attach them to EN Notes.  The Veritrope Import Folder AppleScript  would make this very easy -- just drag and drop the PDF into the Import Folder.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm trying to migrate my notes from Apple notes into EN Mac 6.4, running under 10.11.2 on a MacBook Pro.

I did a lot searches and could not find a slick way to do this for all my notes at once or even one at time so I punted and tried to just copy selected text from one note in Apple Notes and paste it into Evernote.  What happens is that it seems to lose all the carriage returns so all the text is pasted into one continuous, wrapped string.  To make matters even worse, there seems to be a severe limit on how many characters there can be in one line so only a small fraction of what I copied gets pasted into the note.  I have tried copying from a number of different sources including pdf and html files, but always get the same results, even if I select "Paste and Match Style" from the edit menu.  Is this a bug in 6.4 or must I use a different approach?  I won't be able to use Evernote if I can't past this hurdle.

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, Wunderkind said:

I'm trying to migrate my notes from Apple notes into EN Mac 6.4, running under 10.11.2 on a MacBook Pro.

For an example using AppleScript, see Importing from Apple Mail.app's Notes 

Since that thread was started, Apple has moved Notes from Mail to its own app.  Look for solutions near the bottom of the thread.

Another example:  Import Apple Notes Easily into Evernote using AppleScript 

I haven't used any of these, so I can't vouch for their reliability.

Archived