ScanSnap Evernote Edition Scanner / $495

• Level 5*

May I ask what you see as the benefits for you of this scanner.  I use a cheap under $50 all-in-one and it meets my need.

What am I missing?  I can access the specs; I'm interested in your viewpoint.

DTLow,

I do not know what the benefits are. I, too, have questioned this from the first time I read about it.

In part, I am attracted to not having to use my flatbed scanner. I like that it/Evernote sorts out the items scanned.

I've been dragging my feet for months, so I have my own qualms about spending half a thousand dollars.

Anyone out there who will respond to DTLow????

• Level 5*

@AArnoldS

Just me, but I purchased a "normal" ScanSnap S1300i, there are probably newer versions now..  There may be some bells and whistles in the EN version, but not sure they would be worth the extra $200 or so in the US.  The 1300i and its software do a nice job of scanning and OCRing, up to 10-15 pages at a time.  You can't really combine jobs, so a document at a time (single or multiple pages, simplex or duplex) but other than that it works well, my use case anyway.

• Level 5*

Same here - I have the previous version of the vanilla Scansnap - an S1500.  The Evernote Edition scanner sounds great in an office environment - it will cope with different people scanning directly from mobiles into different accounts,  sort receipts and business cards into different notebooks,  and generally tear (not literally..) through paper of all sorts.  

Unless you are a busy office though I wouldn't think you'd use more than a fraction of its capacity.  Moving from flatbed to duplex sheet-fed is like moving from night to day - your posture will thank you for years to come - but a lot of scanners will do that.  Buy something suitable to your needs.  S1500's on eBay currently go for around $200 - and mine has scanned some ridiculous number of sheets very quickly over a few years without any sign of slowing down... 

• Level 5*

I would steer clear of the EN customized version as well.  My concern would be from a service point-of-view.  I would rather just deal with Scansnap if there is a problem than trying to work with EN if the issue happens to be with their value added software.  I bought the Scansnap S300 5+ years ago that refuses to die.  It would be nice to have a faster scanner but this one is still working great and I plan on running it into the ground.

I currently have an OLD S300 (the portable one). It's worked well over the years...but I really want a wireless one for the house - so I can have the scanner near the kitchen where a majority of the paper cr@p is generated...and then wirelessly shot over to Evernote. I've brought my S300 into work so I have a scanner at my desk (so my lazy butt doesn't have to walk to the copy room to scan - hah). I am assuming the iX500 (now about $410 on Amazon) is the scanner for me? Or is there an intermediate version I should be considering? I don't mind making an investment if it means that I will use it more and have better paperless compliance. I too am only considering the NON-EN-branded version.

Related question - do you have to use the Fujitsu software? I.e. since I want to use Evernote as my platform for organizing, I was always confused between using that SnapScan Organizer...I THINK that all you need installed is the SnapScan MANAGER (i.e. so that the scanner can actually talk to your computer) right? But from there you don't need to install any of the other stuff??

• 2 weeks later...

Like AArnoldS, I'm wondering if a new ScanSnap  iX500 will be coming out soon. I'm just about to bite the bullet and buy it, but the fact that it doesn't seem like that product has been updated for some years makes me wonder if it's due for a product refresh.  Does anyone know how one might get a sense of that? I agree it's expensive, but it seems like the time it could save would make it well worth the investment -- the fact that it can scan duplex and handle both large and small documents at the same time and crop the small ones automatically and do a good job OCRing would make scanning so much faster.  

• Level 5

I bought a ScanSnap S300 for $239. That was seven years ago.

It has scanned thousands of documents (duplex) and still runs perfectly.

IMO, it's better to buy from the manufacturer, then a 3rd party that has been downsizing recently.

22 hours ago, JullietteM said:

Like AArnoldS, I'm wondering if a new ScanSnap  iX500 will be coming out soon. I'm just about to bite the bullet and buy it, but the fact that it doesn't seem like that product has been updated for some years makes me wonder if it's due for a product refresh.  Does anyone know how one might get a sense of that? I agree it's expensive, but it seems like the time it could save would make it well worth the investment -- the fact that it can scan duplex and handle both large and small documents at the same time and crop the small ones automatically and do a good job OCRing would make scanning so much faster.  

I have been using my iX500 for three years now with no problems. Yes, it was a little pricey, but when I need it, I just lift the lid and scan away. Single, both sides, large or small documents,  and the OCRing is just excellent. All in all a very good investment, and I agree with jbenson2 buy from the manufacturer, not a 3rd party.

On 1/22/2016 at 7:05 PM, ClutterBGone said:

I have been using my iX500 for three years now with no problems. Yes, it was a little pricey, but when I need it, I just lift the lid and scan away. Single, both sides, large or small documents,  and the OCRing is just excellent. All in all a very good investment, and I agree with jbenson2 buy from the manufacturer, not a 3rd party.

Thanks for the input.  And I appreciate your bringing to my attention the point about buying from the Manufacturer. I hadn't thought about who I'd buy it from (probably Amazon), but I'll give thought about your suggestion. 

Julliette

15 hours ago, JullietteM said:

Thanks for the input.  And I appreciate your bringing to my attention the point about buying from the Manufacturer. I hadn't thought about who I'd buy it from (probably Amazon), but I'll give thought about your suggestion. 

Julliette

Hi Julliette,
Glad to be of help. As to the purchase from a 3rd party, I have purchased my last two ScanSnaps from Amazon, they have he best prices. As you may know, there are some ScanSnaps that are branded with the ScanSnap's name plus other branding, they tend to add a few more bells and whistles to the software and I have found that sometimes it just gets in the way of a smooth working until, just my opinion. Go with ScanSnap original and you can't go wrong. I use mine on a daily basis, no paper in my house!!
Regards.
David in Wichita

Archived