New to Evernote and legally blind

Hello everyone here on Evernote.

I am both very low vision and also very new to Evernote.  I can use someone who can help me figure out how to use the app as well as I can.

I am a novelist and short story writer, professional incidently, and will want to use the software to track my researcxh, to track my assistants' work, and to do a whole bunch of other things, as well as to track peronal items.

I have adaptive software so visual access is not a barrier.

Who wants to help me ou

Christopher Hawthorne Moss

• Level 5

The purpose of Evernote is to store information for easy retrieval. (your 2nd brain)
To enhance search accuracy, I rely on some of these tips. They are not cast in stone. Just my preferences.

#1 Suggestion - just jump and get your feet wet. That is the best way to learn.

* Title for each note always starts with appropriate Date Code [yyyymmdd]

* Develop a consistent and structured title system [date location subject person]

* Learn how to use Stacks, Notebooks, Notes, and Tags

* Learn Evernote's search grammar - here is link to a cheat sheet
http://www.cheatography.com/senseful/cheat-sheets/evernote/

* Notebooks - stay with broad categories [Evernote's max is just 250]

* Tags - can be very specific and/or detailed [Evernote's max is 10,000]

* Tags - keep them in lower case to avoid confusion

* Tags - don't use spaces [hewlett-packard]

* Spelling variants added to notes for improved search results [Gaddafi Gadhafi Qaddafi el-Qaddafi]

* Random search code to link a group of similar notes together [73SD84].

* Browse this forum regularly for additional tips - if you post a question, mention the operating system.

* Comments from a writer - Paul Thurrott
http://winsupersite.com/article/paul/evernote-word-writing-141902

• Level 5*

There's controversy on the use of notebooks vs tags.  My opinion is that notebooks have their uses (sharing, local) and tags are for organization.

If your assistant is also using Evernote, you can share notebooks.

For me, I have fully committed to Evernote as my digital filing cabinet.  It's the place I file everything.  Any paper coming to me that I think might be useful  gets scanned and filed in Evernote.

Developing a good tagging system helps and satisfies my obsession with organization.  However, even without it Evernote offers great search features. When tagging, I think of Who/What/Where. As jbenson2 mentioned, you should be aware of the search syntax, it makes finding stuff much easier.

Another discussion is using Evernote for task management and GTD.  If you're into that, you can get some good advice on this forum.

• Level 5*

You should also know about methods to add notes to Evernote.  I use a Mac, and have various options.  

Evernote Helper sits in my menu bar and allows me to clip anything on the screen.

Evernote web clipper sits in the browser menu bar. 

Finally, you can forward emails to your Evernote address.  I also have an app called EverMail which does the same thing more directly.

• Level 5*

Regarding vision problems.

Is there anything we can do in our replies to make it easier.  The only thing I can think of is font size or colour

• Level 5*

...what they said.  Just to pick up on one detail,  the maximum number of tags in one note is 100,  overall in one account is 100,000.  I find using a 'smart' title as @jbenson2 suggests means I generally don't need tags.  I use the date,  plus a line from a note with a library of generic titles I can copy for consistency.  The search grammar then makes it easy to find a reasonably short list of hits for any specific search.  If a search (or two) still leaves me with more than a reasonably short number of hits,  I'll locate the correct note(s) and tag them with something specific and save the "tag:<keyword>" search for future use.

If you have any questions about the general use of Evernote,  the best place to start is here - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us

Archived