Please stop bugging me to go Premium!

• Level 5*

Hi.  All levels of account get some degree of nagging to remind you that there are upgrade options,  though the messages shouldn't be so big or so frequent that you find them intrusive.  If you do find them annoying I'd suggest raising a support request - scroll to the bottom of this page to click the 'Contact Support' button.

• Evernote Expert
36 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  All levels of account get some degree of nagging to remind you that there are upgrade options,  though the messages shouldn't be so big or so frequent that you find them intrusive.  If you do find them annoying I'd suggest raising a support request - scroll to the bottom of this page to click the 'Contact Support' button.

@gazumped By saying that all levels have some degree of nagging, i fear that you are trying to justify this unethical deed by Evernote. The issue has been around for over 3 months atleast. Being a premium Member, I can't tell how it sucks to have ads in front of you telling you to upgrade to EN Business, when i have never shared a single note. 

Barring free users, I think its obvious to anyone that it is absolutely unethical to put ADs. Its just common sense. A user pays to get rid of the nonsense. Secondly, i see no point in your suggestion. Whats the point of this user contacting customer support? There have been hundreds of user posts around in the forum, complaining of this issue. This is clearly an issue that should have been fixed long ago, by the developers. I am tempted to believe that this is an issue that is purposefully ignored by the upper echelons of the managaement. If this trend continues and this issue is not fixed ASAP, I fear it isnt going to do well with Evernote. As it is , EN is going to lose all those Skitch and Food customers. The last thing it needs to do is dig its own grave by showing EN customers - the door. 

• Level 5*

No intention here to justify any deeds,  unethical or otherwise..  Evernote aren't unreasonable - they've said somewhere in the Forums that a couple of times a week is all you should see of reminders - so if you're seeing more than that,  there's something amiss somewhere.  As a long-time premium and basic user I still get them - more frequently on the basic account.  But I've completely tuned them out - they're invisible rather than annoying.

There are a couple of things you can check - log in to your Personal Settings page to see which marketing boxes are ticked.  Try unticking them here:  https://www.evernote.com/PersonalSettings.action  You should also check that you're using the latest version of the app - there was a bug (that was quickly fixed) a version or several ago that did generate rather more reminders than it should have...

If none of the above helps,  then the most sensible thing to do is raise a support request or a bug report.  The more folks who do that,  the more seriously Evernote will take the point that these messages are more annoying than useful.  They presumably have some ROI stats that show the nag screens do some good - I know from other apps that it's possible to have the intention to upgrade a membership,  but not to get around to it for ages.. until that darn screen appears again and you think 'I have been meaning to do this,  and this app is a useful one that I'd like to support...'

If you do want to complain though,  do keep an accurate log of how many times you see the nag in a week,  and (if necessary) for how long - this is one of those 'right or wrong,  their game,  their rules' situations,  and yes of course they'd be very dumb to annoy customers,  but they also want to make money and continue to provide their service for the forseeable future.  If they continue to get more upgrades than departures,  they're likely to downplay any gripes.

Final suggestion - give this guy some feedback;  he seems to be interested in getting things back on track... https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2015/09/29/a-note-from-chris-oneill/

Archived