(Archived) Printing PDF from Desktop App Mac

gwilkinson

Idea

When I use the Evernote button installed on Safari's toolbar and selecting it using the shift key prints the current web page to the Evernote App exactly how I want it to show (rather that Print to PDF that does not create the web page the way I want it). However, if you try to print that PDF from the desktop Evernote application, it prints it too large and cuts off much of it. I have to go into page setup of Evernote and set the reduction to 50% every time I print.

I have patiently anticipated this being fixed, but it has been too long in my view to have not fixed it by now. I believe that bugs like this should be fixed in priority before new features. This is not making my user experience with Evernote the good one it should and would rather see this fixed before new features are added.

8 replies to this idea

This is a bug in our tracking system, thanks for reporting it.

For now, if you right-click on the PDF to open it in Preview, you can print it from Preview with more formatting control.

I was not aware you could view a PDF document in Evernote in the Preview applications. How do you do that? When I right click the item in the desktop application or in the browser, I do not have an option to view or print in Preview in the contextual menu. When I double-click the item it opens in the web browser and I can print from it.

Another problem when printing from any application, it prints some images in Landscape in error and I cannot change the orientation in the print dialog. Also, when saving a document in PDF to Evernote, it surrounds the image with a black canvas type boarder that also shows in the printed copy, which I do not want.

If you right-click on the PDF itself from within the Mac client, you should get a context menu with "Open" and "Open With" that let you open that PDF in a separate application.

Another problem when printing from any application, it prints some images in Landscape in error and I cannot change the orientation in the print dialog. Also, when saving a document in PDF to Evernote, it surrounds the image with a black canvas type boarder that also shows in the printed copy, which I do not want.

I have just noticed this with one PDF that I had scanned in directly to EN. I displays in the correct orientation (portrait), but printing or printing to PDF changes it to landscape. If I open out of EN into Preview or Acrobat Pro and try to print, it has the same problem.

If I do print the landscape orientation out of EN and then open it in Acrobat it is correctly oriented, but is now a landscape document. Somehow, the image within the document has become reoriented with respect to the overall document size and aspect ratio.

If I then add the newly oriented PDF into EN, it now does not display correctly. That is, it is correcty a portrait note, but the image is rotated within the note.

I can file a support ticket if you like. Just please let me know. Thanks.

Okay. I'm back asking for some feedback on this.

I guess what I'm looking for is guidelines for how to predict the behavior of scanned images oriented and sized dimensionally to fit in a letter-size portrait document.

Here's another example:

I'm scanning in check images which are approximately 6"x3". I eventually want to print these to an 8.5"x11" document in portrait orientation.

They display properly in Evernote, but it appears that Evernote wants to build a page dimensions for the note that force it to a landscape document on printing, even though Page Setup is portrait and the image dimensions should fit in a letter-size portrait note.

This is seen when printing a PDF out of Evernote, where if Page Setup is portrait orientation, the image is rotated 90º from its scanned orientation, and from its Evernote display orientation.

So, Evernote knows the orientation of the image enough to display it properly within the application, but because of the margins it creates around the image, turns the whole note into a PDF that has to be rotated 90º in order to fit in a letter-size portrait.

This means that the exported PDF has to rotated and cropped in order to be used as a properly oriented portrait document.

That's bad enough in terms of workflow, but I am running into issues bringing these files (scanned into Evernote, printed out of Evernote, rotated and cropped in Acrobat) into OfficeDrop, because the new portrait document displaying the image as landscape is really a cropped landscape document. It appears that OfficeDrop is looking at meta data of some type that makes it think the document is now a landscape document. So, OfficeDrop displays the document with a distorted aspect ratio (squished).

Now, I can change the Page Setup in Evernote to landscape before printing (I can't leave it that way as it will print wrong orientations for other notes). But, because the image is to be displayed elsewhere as a portrait, I still have to open it in Acrobat and crop it.

I can't think of this as a desirable design. If I am printing to letter-size portrait, a note that consists entirely of an image that is oriented and sized to fit within the dimensions of a letter-size portrait, then I can see no reason why Evernote shouldn't handle this.

Thanks for any help.

I see I should have read and tried Dave's workaround first. Opening in Preview solves the Page Setup issue, for printing.

An issue still remains with emailing from Evernote (at least to OfficeDrop), where regardless the Evernote Page Setup, the document aspect ratio displays as squished. Now, this problem can perhaps be laid that OfficeDrop developers' feet, but I suspect that it has much to do with how Evernote is handling these scanned images and passing them along.

Thanks.

Archived